New Baby Rattie Joined The Family!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by opaquebubble, Jan 30, 2005.

1. opaquebubble

opaquebubble Member

I have a 2 year old male rat named Ronnie, and just got a new baby i named Leroy, they're getting along great so far and i couldn't be happier.Anyone else out there a rat friend?

2. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

i've got fuzz butts right now, Mooch and Butters

3. Elle

Elle Senior Member

How cute. I want a rat too, but I have a cat and I'm not sure how well that would work out. Also, something about rat's tails creep me out so I'd have to get past that first. But I think they are really cute and from what I gather, good companions.

4. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I want one! Are they anything like mice? I loved having mice but they tended to bite a lot. That hurt!!! And yes I did handle them a lot to try to tame them. They were pretty tame but that biting/nibbling thing was annoying.

5. opaquebubble

opaquebubble Member

hey elle they have tailless rats ya know! :)
    bree, none of the 7 rats i've had have EVER bitten me or been aggressive, as long as you're always sweet to them they'll be sweet to you. ;)

6. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

So are they just more "tameable" than mice?

7. opaquebubble

opaquebubble Member

i haven't ever had mice, but i'll say yes because any rat i've ever known has loved human attention, my rats follow me around the house wanting to be picked up, they are incredibly social, that's why you never want to have just one rat either, because they also love having other rattie company.;)

8. opaquebubble

opaquebubble Member

oh and by the way, my cat won't even go near the rats anymore since ron chunked out part of his nose for being mean. just make sure you never have little rats by any kitties. same with my dog (hes little though)

9. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Mice are great pets. The thing to do is buy a male and a female mouse and let them breed then handle the babies a lot. You can sell any babies you don’t want back to the pet store. They will give you like a dollar a piece for them. It is a fun project to do and the babies will be very tame. You don't have to hand feed them or anything like that. Just handle them a lot.

BTW- This is not a long and drawn out project. They will bread very quickly.

opaquebubble

Congratulations to the new addition to your family.

Best wishes

10. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Interesting. I had a rat that bit me (or tried to) hard every time I handled it. Once bit my finger nearly to the bone. He was like that from the day I got him.

11. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Well I wanna see more pics of rats and their people! They are so cute!

12. opaquebubble

opaquebubble Member

aggression comes from either mishandling/mistreated or not enough to begin with, sometimes rats are also aggressive if they're a pregneant female or a male around 6 months of age, aggression is also hereditary, so watch out where you get your ratties from, sorry you had to have such a bad tempered rat as a pet.

13. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Yes, he was very aggressive. I could tell right away that he was not handled a lot. In time I got him a little more tame but, he never became completely tame.

I hate buying pets from most pet stores. I highly suspect mistreatment by the store I purchased him at. That is also why I kept him rather then return him to the store. Even though he was aggressive I could not bare to bring him back to the store where he was likely neglected to say the very least.

14. opaquebubble

opaquebubble Member

question, was he a baby or already mature?

15. opaquebubble

opaquebubble Member

there's a pet store in a town i live near that just makes me sick, their animals are LITTERALLY eating eachother alive because they are far too overstocked and packed in, the fish tanks are never clean, at least half of their animals are sick, and to make it worse its the largest pet store i've ever seen (over 4,000 live animals). I made quite a seen there when i wanted to hold one of their rats and the lady just yanked it up by its tail, i ended up stealing 3 (i know i shouldn't have but i didn't want them to think that i would actually give them money for their animal abuse) these rats were by far the most aggressive and skitish i've seen. Eventually iadopted them out to a loving home of a friend. needless to say they're quite happy now. :)

16. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

He was already mature. They did not have any babies at the time.

Yep, many pet stores make me sick as well. Now there are only 2 local stores I will deal with and I know the owners personally. They take very good care of their pets. They are members of our local bird club so I know them well. I have seen how they treat their animals. I stay clear of places like petco and other chain stores.