Neutering

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Paul, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Does anyone have any thoughts about pet neutering?

Just wondered if there were ethical considerations regarding it from an animal rights perspective?

Is it cruel in any way?

Is it really that beneficial?

Is it morally right or wrong for an 'owner' to neuter a pet ... is it denying that animal its natural instincts?

Does it have any effect on the animal's psychological wellbeing?

2. Tarka Dhaling

Tarka Dhaling Member

what it does do is stop the unwanted effects of pets giving birth and them being unwanted, personally i dont agree with keeping pets in the fisrst place, i have two cats but both have been abused and are unwanted, we need to stop buying and breeding them in the first instance.

3. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

But what about the animal's right to sex and reproduction?

I'm not saying that neutering is right or wrong ... just trying to get a better perspective of it.

After all, I wouldn't like my knackers get cut off for humanitarian reasons

4. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

with cats it keeps them from spraying piss all over the place

5. Tarka Dhaling

Tarka Dhaling Member

Ok I will put my scissors away ;)

6. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

nicely put.....first laugh ?? no ! well one of the first laughs i have had of 2005 .. thanks

7. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I think it's a good thing, there are too many cats and dogs in the country anyway. Certainly in the case of cats, it's destructive to the bird population. There are too many people in the world too. Maybe we should start neutering humans, well conservatives, evangelical christians, fascists and all semi-human breeds at least:p

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

A little to much rum last night ?.

9. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Rum? Please! It was port and sherry all evening, with a tot of champagne to toast in the New Year....

10. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I think it's kinda one of those moral problems to which there's no ideal solution. Mutilating animals obviously ain't the grandest of ideas, but compared to the alternative of thousands of unwanted kittens and puppies, I don't see what choice there really is.

11. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

I agree with doc, its a hard hard one to deal with. On one hand you are taking the natural animal rights away from these creatures, on the other hand... if you dont you end up with the sufferingand torture of many "unwanted" creatures.

Personally i think i would go for neutering, or having a house only animal.

12. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Are male animals ever sterilised without castration?

If not then why not?

13. Claire

Claire Senior Member

well i reakon they should be left the hell alone...

like tarkah said, if we didnt breed animals for our own ends in the first place maybe this problem wouldn't need discussing.

Goes back to the natural regulation issue...

Leave the fucking animals alone maybe?.. they're not our slaves...

Who are we to know what is best for the animal kingdom?

Sorry to do a "Treehouse"( :p ) but it's kinda ish like Iraq... you know.. us in the west know better than the Iraquis on how to run there own government...

Same with animals maybe?... just leave them alone to do what come naturally...

Anything less could be viewed as slavery..

Just a view... Claire out xxx:)

14. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

The only problem is claire, if someone has a pet, parhaps as someone previously has said, a pet which was unwanted elsewhere and needed a home rather then one bought from a breeder... and it got pregnant from a stray or something .... then the owner is left with LOTS of cats... now say the owner cant afford to look after that many cats... what then? give them away? So in saving the life of one cat theyve put many new baby cats in the same origional position. Its a vicious circle.

15. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

I agree ... but also I think that we somehow need to reverse the damage that we as humans have done.

What I seem to be learning is that animals do not have the same awareness of sexuality as humans do, they do not get emotionally affected by this ... although I'm prepared to be corrected if I'm wrong.

There are thousands (if not millions) of unwanted animals that cannot and will not survive without human aid.

So how do we reverse that trend without intervening?

16. DoktorAtomik

Sorry Claire, but you're talking shit. I used to go out and help catch half-starved feral cats in Liverpool for re-homing. Not only were they neglected, malnourished and ill, but the ones in the city centre were gonna be poisoned by idiot building managers who viewed them as a pest. I entirely agree that in an ideal world we should leave the hell alone, but the world isn't ideal. Your suggestion is very short sighted and would just lead to more suffering.

17. Claire

Claire Senior Member

whatever:sunglasse

18. DoktorAtomik

Have you ever seen the results of what you're suggesting first hand? Have you ever seen the corpses of cats that have starved to death, rotting by the side of garbage bags in the dirty alley-ways of a city? Have you seen the feral cats that are so riddled with worms that they can't even produce enough milk to feed their kittens? And speaking of kittens, have you seen their corpses when their mother hasn't been able to feed them?

Yeah, whatever.

19. Claire

Claire Senior Member

hey so you're the big authority on animal rights now huh?.... Dok... i said what i said cos i think it to be true...

end of...

we as humans created this fucked up animal situation where certain animals rely on us cos we made them our slaves (pets whatever)...

yeh tis WAY true that we are at a point where we are now responsible for there welfare... never said we weren't...

i didnt offer solutions... i dont have none.... how the fuck do i know where we are headed? and how do you?

I just said it how it was NOW.

discuss to your hearts content what we should do.... but chopping off the nads of some other life form is SOO wrong to me.

would you like it?

guess not huh?... cos i sure as hell wouldnt...

and again... carry on... whatever.... humans fucked up... what SHOULD we do now?

Fucked if I know

Clairexxx

20. DoktorAtomik

You ever been involved in rescuing feral cats? If not, then I have more experience of it than you.

What the fuck does 'end of' mean? "You're not allowed to voice an opinion that runs contrary to my own"?

When did predicting the future have anything to do with it?!? Seriously Claire, are you stoned or something? This just isn't making mnuch sense.

I agree. What's your alternative though?

I wouldn't like being walked on a lead, either. Are you also suggesting we should turn all dogs free to run into the road and get themselves killed? Having (as a species) fucked about with nature, we now need to make decisions about how to deal with the consequences. Unfortunately, ideal solutions will not always be available. Sure, mutilating animals is a bad thing (as I believe I already said), but what's your alternative fucking solution? You do have one, right?

Oh. Apparently you don't. Well then.... might be an idea to think of an alternative before promoting an end to neutering - unless you want an explosion in the numbers of unwanted and uncared for cats and dogs.