Neuro Psych Testing-Nervous/Excited

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by fundoo, May 3, 2018.

1. fundoo

fundoo Members

If all goes to plan, I'll be taking my neuro psych exam in a couple of weeks. I'm nervous and excited to see where I stand. Have never done anything like this, so I've been talking to others about it to take that nervous edge off. I'm nervous about having people analyze me under a microscope, but if they can find something to help me with my anxiety, for instance, well, that'd be super! We're looking more at ADHD and obsessive tendencies. Curious how they test for these things. Oh well. Will soon find out!

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  2. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Personally always thought that psychology & all of the illnesses under it's purview are the modern day equivalent of snake oil salesmen. Now before anyone gets their knickers in a twist allow me a moment to explain.

When I was a youngin' they diagnosed me with ADHD. Only thing those meds did for me was set me on edge 24/7 & make me randomly depressed for no good reason. Kids are all hyper as fuck & prone to bouts of random insanity, like damn chipmunks on crack.

When I was 16 (I think) I acted out in a hilarious but idiotic fashion & got sent to a Christian boarding school to get my shit sorted out. Over the course of the year I was there I became intensely homesick & that of course led to dismal depression. I started cutting, so they told my family that I was clinically depressed. I wasn't fucking clinically depressed I just really wanted to go home & knew that if I acted out in a big way my parents would come get me.

The last big reason I have comes from two years ago. I was sleeping in bed when I rolled off & hit my head on an axe laying in the corner partially behind a nightstand. 14 stitches, a ton of blood, & some brain matter later & I started having panic attacks daily. Then around two weeks later ( I think, every day after that first hit was a bit fuzzy) I rolled out of bed again & cracked the front open too. Another 10 stitches & the possibility of having a form of epilepsy & the panic attacks still happen occasionally to this day. When you look in a mirror & you feel like you're watching a war film it tends to fuck with you. I have worked damn hard to control those attacks & I've progressed from every day to once or twice a month.

My point to all this is that in my experience all these issues people have are deal withable with a bit of grit & some spit in your eye. People these days don't like taking the long way around so a quick fix is real popular. I'm not trying to say these issues don't exist, I've the experience to say with absolute certainty, but I do believe they are able to be overcome without fancy medications.

All that shit said I really truly hope they give you some answers that actually help. Anxiety is a pain in the ass to deal with.

fundoo likes this.
  3. fundoo

fundoo Members

I appreciate your insight. I know folks go through a lot worse than I do and sometimes it's nice to have that put in perspective. On the other hand, if you could get help, wouldn't you? What kinds of things did you do to control your attacks? That's great that you've reduced them. My anxiety is daily and it's always been a daily thing. I'm realizing even moreso that my other problem is getting thoughts mixed up when talking or texting to someone and forgetting my place (more ADHD type stuff). Wait, see, I didn't finish my first thought. Daily anxiety, and lately it's been bad again, but it's typically not a full blown panic attack. That's only happened a few times. Still, the chronic anxiety has given me other physical health problems and/ or acerbates those problems. Now for the mixing thoughts; unless I know exactly what I want to say and I'm not stressed (or anxious), I tend to ramble on about 2 or more things and mix them up making my conversation or text nearly incoherent. This has been problematic and this is a very clear indicator of ADHD. Unfortunately, I've also tried a medication for this once, not a typical ADHD med though, and it sent me manic (couldn't sleep and super hyperactive). So, even if I am diagnosed, not sure if meds will be the route to take, but it might give therapists and myself better direction to educate myself. Again, thanks for your words.

4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I started practicing breathing exercises & meditation. Whenever I feel an attack coming on I begin breathing deeply & rhythmically & focusing my mind on thoughts that aren't stressful. It typically stops the attack all together but there is the occasion where it doesn't and I then just have to lie down & let it pass.

Also if I came across as trying to assert that my problems were in any way greater I apologize for that wasn't my intention.

OrleansWordsmith and fundoo like this.
  5. fundoo

fundoo Members

Thanks! And no, don't worry. I took it how I needed to, but it doesn't mean you need to worry. Don't censor yourself. I think most folks who'd respond to a thread like this on this forum would be just as forthcoming, so you're fine. :)

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  6. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

I think with issues like anxiety and ADHD, a combination of some counseling and relaxation techniques, there are even ADHD diets I've read about, and possibly some medication, don't forget regular exercise, are all important for good mental health. The unfortunate part about medication is it's often trial and error. You might have to try five or 10 different things over time to find something that works best and has few to no side effects. Get enough rest too. Nothing exacerbates stress worse than not sleeping and eating well.

fundoo likes this.