Need help with sexing....

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by Marclar, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Marclar

Marclar Guest

fellas,

i have been vegitating for the last 20 days. A few plants are taller than others. the tallest one being 18 inches. At this time this plant already developed pre-flowers (they are all on 24 hour light cycle).

They look like they are hanging on a small tiny thread. Well...on the tallest plant they cracked and white stuff comes out of them. This points to them being male but I thought before you start flowering they cannot produce pllen. And all but one plants look the same so i am trying to hope that not all of them are male (paid $400 for the seeds + $800 month electricity bill).

Does this mean all those plants are male? please advice.

Thanks

2. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

Males grow balls (pollen sacs) that are very noticeable. They grow in bunches, like grapes.

-Pollen is yellow. The pollen sacs open to reveal a tiny yellow banana-looking thing as they shed pollen.
    If you have a $800/month elect. bill you must be growing about 1,000 plants, because a 400-watt HPS only uses $15--$20/month.
    I've never heaqrd of plants expressing sex under 24/0 light except lowrider/ruderalis/equatorial strains or if the light is inadequate.

3. Marclar

Marclar Guest

thanks for the reply. They do grow in bunches like you described. As for the light I use a 1000 watt HPS on a light rail light mover system. So i dont htink its inadequate. It moves 6 feet back and forth. I guess the bill is high because I live in texas and have to air condition grow space + 3000 sq foot house, this adds up. So far I am certain that there were no interruptions in light. This whole thing confuses me a bit. The plant grew quickly but i didnt think the pollen would be produced while in 24 ours of light. It looks rather white but its hard to tell under harsh glow of the HPS light right next to it.

The strain is Northern Lights purchased form an amsterdam seed bank.

Do you think its possible for male plants to begin releasing pollen while still in 24 hours of light?

Appreciate the knowledge sharing....

4. Marclar

Marclar Guest

just to add one more thing...only one of the plants does not show any signs of the sacks. I suppose its the only female....those guys charge a lot for seeds....and i would think there would me more females

5. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Some plants can have pre flowers showing around about the sixth internode. I would wait untill you change the light cycle to 12/12 before you remove any plants. Pre flowers can be easily mistaken for the wrong sex.

6. Marclar

Marclar Guest

buffoonman....the only question is: have you ever seen pre-flowers opening up and releasing small amounts of powser? This is what concerns me the most. I know that if its pollen i will have to sterilize my entire grow room before next crop to ensure no pollen stays in.

Thanks!

7. Marclar

Marclar Guest

i just noticed the gallery buttons on the posts....i will post the pics of the actual thing when i get home tonite..

8. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

9. Marclar

Marclar Guest

Naturalhi....thanks for the link. this removes all doubts. I was very unfortunate to have 10 males out of 12 plants i had....im almost crying right now as I have to remove all plants. Cant spend so much money in maintaining anly 2 females especially after some pollen came out. at least I know that in the future i will be able to sex them on the 12th day or so...thats when i saw male pre-flowers first and was not sure...first time grow.

Just received new seeds from British Columbia seedbank (Albino Rhino strain). Hopefully will have better luck in male/female ratio.

10. Naturalhi

11. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

10 out of 12 surely you can't be that unlucky.

12. Naturalhi

I'm glad my mate has been saving seeds, I can't imagine paying that much, clones around here go for $8.00 each, but seeds?

13. Marclar

Marclar Guest

this makes me thinking about purchasing 100% feminized seeds. I was looking on www.77seeds.com (place where I bought my northern lights seeds) and in the user reviews somebody else is saying that at least 40% turn out males....looks like these guys are going cheapo.....dont buy from them

14. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

I normally get around 60% female out of standard seeds. Out of 12 plants you should get at least 6 female plants.

15. Naturalhi

Hey buff meet a friend of mine from the lab I finnally negotaited her release before they youtherized her Buffoonman this is Ruinsane2,

[​IMG] cut huh? Darn those scientists darn them to heck!!!!!!:mad:

16. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

As a sen8ior member I feel qualified in saying 'I know an old lady who swallowed that cat.'

17. Naturalhi

Do you suppose she get fat after swallowing a cat? now what do you think of that, jack sprat?