Need help with my Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Digital Elph, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Digital Elph

Digital Elph Member

We planted a clump this spring and I thought the stuff was indistructable. Ours has not grown very well and also has developed holes and brown spots all over the leaves.

I have taken over an old weedbed that I am trying to transform into a nice garden so I do have to deal with bad soil (for now), lots of weeds and very at home bugs (good and bad).

I would (of course) like to keep any solutions organic.

Thanks for any assistance. I look forward to gardening ( albeit virtually) with you folks.

Jason

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

What kind of soil did you plant the rhubarb in? It prefers to be planted in clay soil and is one of the few edible plants that does better in the shade. The symptoms sounds like sunburn ie too much direct sunlight. If you have sandy soil, I would stick to growing plants that prefer sandy soil such as gooseberries, redcurrents, citrus and asparagus.

3. Digital Elph

Digital Elph Member

It is planted in Clay but also in sun - and weve had a very hot, sunny summer. maybe I will move it.

Should I wait till spring or can I move it in the Fall?

Thanks for the info.
    JAson

4. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I dunno if it depends on climate...but i've always grown rhubarb in plenty of dranage...even to the point where i've grown it in raised beds...but we get a lotta rainfall here...

I'd move it into a more shady spot (and it should be fine to move now, plenty of time till frost hits) but wot rhubarb really loves is horseshit...plenty of it...the more yer feed it the more it thrives :)

5. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Ok it sounds like sunburn. It can happen even with plants like tomatoes that are classified as full sun plants when newly planted. I would be uncomfortable with the idea of transplanting at this time of year. What I would do is get hold of a piece of stiff wire mesh -try the tip first- and bend it into an arch. You do not want to block of sunlight completly,just cut it down. Ask a fruit and veg shop nicely if they could give you empty hessian potato sack. If you can get one, not a real thick type, split it open and cover the wire mesh arch. Secure with clothes pegs. If you cannot get a hessian sac, buy a piece of 30% grade shade cloth and use that instead.

6. Digital Elph

Digital Elph Member

Thanks for the tips. I will move it to some shade but I think I will wait till it is closer to the fall. My Mother in Law lives in the country where she is surrounded by plenty of Rhubarb so if I mess up too badly I can always get a new one in the spring.

I do like the idea of shading it with a structure before the move.

Jason