Need help with image...

Discussion in 'Art' started by The World of Dan, Aug 17, 2005.

1. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

Hi guys... I need some help with a project I'm working..... first of all, take a look at this image:

[​IMG]

Nice isn't it? I found it here: http://www.sxc.hu/ - I like it so much that I'm using it as the basis for my new homepage... But, well, I'm stuck!

(techie bit, although the image I'm linking to is around 1500 pixels wide, the finished product will be 800 pixels across, keeping the aspect ratio... so keep this in mine. I linked to the higher rez image as I felt it might give you more room to play with the image or whatever)

The idea is that I'm going to horozantly split the image into 3 sections, the top one being around 155 (ish) pixels tall (again, based on the final image being 800 pixels wide) and will contain all the clouds and sky at the top... the second one being 1 pixel high, and the bottom one taking up the slack of whatever's left at the bottom of the image.

Once I have these three images I'll be using them to build a site, with the top and bottom images being at the top and bottom of the page respecticly, and the 1 pixel high middle image being streathed virtically between the two of them...

If it works correctly, then as you go down the page, you'll see the clouds at the top, then what looks like clear sky,, which then down at the bottom blends into the grass and stones, etc..

(if you'd like an example of what I mean, take a look here: http://www.bexley.gov.uk/service/parks/hallplace.html - see how the leaves at the top then lead down into the trunk, which extends down the page, where it blends into the bottom image.... OK, the trunk on the tree looks a bit shit. but you get the idea, right?)

My problem is, when I stretch the 1 pixel image background image, much like the tree in the above example, there are lines going down the page where there have been sudden colour changes. as you can see here:

[​IMG]

Now I know how to fix this problem... remove some of the lower clouds from the image, and try to make the background a bit more uniform so the gradual darkening of the sky towards the right of the image is slower and more uniform..... what I don't know is HOW!!!

I'm not very good with image editing programs (photoshop scares me), and , well, I'm a bit lost until I can do this..

so, to cut a long story shot (too late)..

is anyone here an image editing pro, and if so, do you think you'd be able to do what i need? i.e. remove the lower clouds and make the sky background more gradual?

Thank you

2. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

I can do that. If you send me all three of your images as you have them and i'll sort it for you :)

3. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

OK... I can do that tonight when I get home from work... although, I was thinking, maybe it would be better to work from the original? At any rate, i'll give you a shout later :D

Thank you.

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

ok :)
    You realise the people who did what you want on the other site... it looks like theyve just used a singular fill colour rather than actually stretching the singular pixle.

5. Sanjak_of_Novi_Pazar

Sanjak_of_Novi_Pazar Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Heres my attempt, got bored at work and wanted to see if i could still use paint shop pro.[​IMG]

6. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i know nowt about the techie stuff.....but that's a stunning choice of pic :D

7. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

Sanjak_of_Novi_Pazar, that is fantastic, just what I need... but would you mind doing it again for me? I only ask because the tops of some of the stones are a little distorted where you've done the blending... and while it's still very good, I think it could be slighly better..... Feel free to tell me to sod off, i'll understand.. but if you don't mind, if you could give it another try, i'd truly apprechate it - thank you.

Oz! - I fully agree :D

8. Sanjak_of_Novi_Pazar

Sanjak_of_Novi_Pazar Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Here you go, Altered original picture rather than submit another picture. Won't be near any computer for a while now as I need to pack as I am going to Beautiful Days.

9. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

That looks much much better... thank you very much... you've saved me a lot of time and effort :D

Can I ask? What did you do? which tools, etc, did you use?