Need advice on moving to florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by keico, Sep 27, 2006.

1. keico

keico Member

Hello to all
    I presently live in NYC. Myself, my wife, 5 kids, and mother in law

This year we spent two weeks in orlando florida to visit Disney world. The kids really enjoyed themselves

My wife and I loved it so much, we want to move

Problem: Although my wife has some family in florida (I believe they live in Miami) We dont know anyone else, and would rather not deal with them

Our concerns our schooling (We have two children with Autism, and two more with learning delay issues)

Also two of our children have sickle cell desease and we spend a lot of times at the doctor so hospitals our important also

We also live on disability so our income is limited

We definately don't want to live in the city, that is what we are trying to get away from. Hopefully we can find a house to rent with the option to buy

We are concerned about crime also. We really would like a quiet neighborhood. Country would be better

So here is my question

Where in florida can a family like mine move where there is good schooling, good hospital, affordable rents, a good quiet area (preferably the country)

I know it is a lot to ask but i appeal to all you who live in florida

We need all the advice we can get

Oh we do know about the bugs and snakes etc so we are kinda prepared for that

Before I was married I did live in virginia for 6 years so I do know a little as to what to expect when moving to the south

Please for all those who live florida we need your advice

Thank you all

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

eh..my onlyadvice onmoving to flsa is..dont doit..my parents bought a place there 3 years ago..& are now trying toescape..at a loss
    we're at the verybeginning of a 50-100 year period of increeasingly frequent &powerful huricanes
    the town my parents are trying to escape was almost destroyed. &most likely there willbe more comming (4 hurricanes hitting 1 area the size of florida in just months was unheard of before) doyou really want to live somewhere that in 10 years might get 12-20 killer storms every year?
    my advice..wait 1 year..see if we dont have yet another disaster like katrina before you decide to live anywhere near the gulf coast (or any coast for that matter)

its been what 2 years since those storms? go count hhow many houses still have no roof or a temporaryroof that will not hold upunder even a strong thunderstorn let alone another huricane
    then study upon the predicted trends for the next say 15-20 years
    me..i'd rather live in the mountains where ya know u wont suddenly wake upone day &find your livininthe middle of the ocean..lol
    (myparents are tryintomove tothe mountains ingeorgia..& i can tellyou, if theyre pannicy enoughto lose even 1 cent inthe move let alone 10's of thousands ya know theyre scared for theyre lives..also they over research everything, double checking & crosschecking every single fact....theyre evengiving uptheyre boat thats been theyre life &everythiing theyve worked for just to get away from florida
    theyare not ones to pannic either..through all 4 huricanes theystayed there ..even withno roof they stayed living in a van/cammper when everyone else vacated..if theyre running now its cause there just wont be anything left togobacktofor muchlonger

just thinkabout these things before you take your familyto such a place thats right in the dangerzone
    bugz & snakes arent to scary when uthink about winds & waves that can wipe out towns entirely

(sorryto allmy family in fla, sorryto sayallthis bout your beautiful state..i dolike it there, i just dont think anyone at all should be living there now..nice place tovisit &campwhen the weathers nice..but nowhere tolive whenu know u could be washed out tosea

if your still interested thoughido know where ucan get a condo..with a dock..&maybe even a really nice 38 foot cabin cruiser cheap..theyre desperate toescape..lol
    but like almost every building in theyre town,the roof does leak anytime it rains

3. keico

keico Member

I am sorry to hear that your parents lost so much during the hurricanes

I am well aware that there is plenty of bad weather there in florida

Remember I spent six years down south and have been through a hurricanes myself

However that will not deter me from wanting to move

I believe that no matter where you live, you will have to deal with something bad related to that state

Take NYC. We have very bad snowstorms, and this past year they set a record for snowfall.

Not just the snow but it can be really cold. Last year home owners spent more money on heating cost than any other.

I really think if florida was that bad then no one would be there.

We really don't plan to move for at least a year. We need to save money and do some research on a place to live.

That is why I posted my question. Anyway I hope your parents do well and find a more desirable place to live.

For me and my family our heart is set on florida

4. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

There are no nice places to live in Florida.

5. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Party capital of the world for the Beautiful People.Have fun, and remember-cocaine is parve! Don't gamble years of your life in any rural area where your neighbors are aloof if not hostile and the lifestyle is transportation intensive.Boca Raton/ West Palm/Fort Lauderdale:Come and see one of the three places where you're going to retire,grow old,and die!

6. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

...even Miami. You practically have to know Spanish to live there.

7. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

The truth you speak has no past and no future.It is,and that's all it needs to be.

8. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

Thank you :)

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

The rent in Tampa & the Palm Harbor areas are very expensive....thank god my rent is free.
    I've heard a few mom's on the public bus this week taking about pulling kids outta school cuz they suck

10. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

Yep, and the cops just shot a cop killer close to Tampa too. Florida is dangerous, expensive, the school system sucks...geez, why do I live here anyway, I forgot??

11. Namaste

Namaste Member

The town of Oviedo is nice, it's about 20 minutes from Orlando and it's one of the smaller but nicer suburbs. Casselberry and Winter Springs are nice, also.

12. DrRobert

DrRobert Member

i spent my youth in new york (go mets), and moved to south fla during high school. i now go to school at UF....so from experience with both places...stay in NY. Its so damn hot down here. Id recommend south florida, but it is kinda expensive in the "good areas". schools are pretty good depending on where u live, but i dont believe them to be as good as NY.

13. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

iremember 1 town not far fromocala, theresa gas station thre with a proudly restored gallows outside left over fromprohabition..pulling up for gas & seeing a gallows was a pretty scary trip

14. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

ok here it goes...

Ive lived in Fl all my life and would rather be no other place. i live just north of Orlando bout 30 min. though i do not know of any cheep rent, but there are programs to help and sometimes they actually work. i would say find a place somewhere in the national forrest and close to Ocala (cheaper there), the further south ya go the more of an expence your gona have..we have some of the best hospitals for children in the nation one of which being Shands in Ganesville... Say no to Orlando!!! Crime rate to high.

(you gota take the bad with the good anywhere ya go.....)

any other info i can help ya with ill be glad to do it....

15. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My Princess has lots of family in Miami,we visit often.
    The real estate is expensive and the bubble is deflating.
    I'd bargain hard on price.
    Plenty of hosiptals in Miami-Dade area.
    Its very built up.

16. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

Believe me, stay in NYC, you are far better off across the board, everyone here wants to get out, most every house has a for sale sign out front, alot of them have an attached smaller sign which reads "reduced", it is almost impossible to get disability here, i am about to begin the process myself. It is very tough to make a liveing, the coast of liveing keeps going up, rents are not all that much lower here now than NYC, but the wages are much lower. It is hot here, hot as fuck & getting hotter all the time, i know it gets cold up north there but at least you can go outside when it is cold. Schools suck, medical care sucks, public transportation is limited or nonexistant, you are just much better off there.

17. unknown2012

unknown2012 Member

well i only know of one place like what your looking for , it's called Springhill. i know used to know some people who lived up that way and it's real nice very country like.
    now i dont know about the rent prices and schools and hospitals but it's a very nice area. maybe check it out and some prices. not sure how much you're looking to spend in rent but i can tell you florida rent sucks big time. it's outrageous.

18. Travelling Matt

Travelling Matt Member

Nowhere in the Broward Dade West Palm Beach Tri County Area. They have made sure that no honest hard working people can afford to live here. As far as education goes we have one of the worst systems in the entire country (I think we ranked 46th).
    As far as The Tampa bay area goes St Petersburg is nice as is Pinellas Park and Clearwater (except for all the damn scientologists XENU RULZ (the universe)). Florida is not the place to be guy. Try around Daytona or Orlando. There are some nice rural areas in those 2 parts of the state. I also hear the panhandle is nice (and republican).

Good Luck Guy.

I say move to Oregon.
    Bloomington Indiana is a great place. So is Madison Wisconsin. Taos New Mexico (although a little pricy for the desert)
    GOOD LUCK!

Travelling Matt

19. Rainbow Starlite

Rainbow Starlite Member

LOL my advice is... don't.... the weather sucks, we have no seasons, its ugly, flat and boring, its terrible for animals (hot, flea problems, dangerous wildlife)... blah can't wait to get out!

That said, the Tampa Bay area is probably my favorite, and where I am for the time being while stuck here. I like Ocala, too. Orlando sucks hard. I hate kitsch and tourism, though.

20. Rainbow Starlite

Rainbow Starlite Member

Oh and yeah, the public transportation... is asshole to non existant and we won't discuss the healthcare...