Necromonicon

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 29, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

Alright, I am looking online for info but if anyone has any info or opinions or stories, please share :) Any input would be helpful.

2. We_All_Shine_On

3. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

The Necronomicon is a compelling work of fiction.

4. veinglory

veinglory Member

The idea of it was invented by the writer HP Lovecraft -- various people subsequently wrote book purporting to be it -- they are all fictional.

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

read it, never got it...

6. We_All_Shine_On

yes i've discovered that now... lovecraft is clever... it;s imaginative

7. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Its amazing how many kids at my school thought it was the real deal. They were the "Hardcore Satanits" and I was just doing it for attention when I wore my sigul under my shirt >_> lol... Ah kids. It was an interesting read. If you like Vampire stuff another fun read is the Book of Nod

8. osiris

osiris Senior Member

actually, it depends on who you believe. there is, according to some, historical documentation of the existance of a man named Abdul Alhazred, that people refered to as The Mad Arab, who promulgated the belief in the existance of these ancient gods. It is also theorized that H.P. Lovecraft got the idea from his wife, who was once a lover of Aliester Crowley, who would have had access to what then would have been an unpublished occult text, via his membership with the Hermetic Order of The Golden Dawn. And it cannot be denied that there are certain similarities between the Necronomicon and Crowley's Book of the Law, which pre-dates Lovecraft's work... it could be supposed that in the midst of Crowley's self-alledged divine revelation he subconsciously vomited forth some aspects of the Necronomicon, which he had read at an earlier date. And having read both the Necronomicon and some of the works of Lovecraft related to it, in the dark of night, I can say that even my brave soul began to see things lurking, moving in the shadows.

As can be seen quite readily in regards to the promulgation of any "religious" text, its authenticity is quite irrelevant to its effect on the minds of those who consume its contents.

So, on my part, that is an encouragement to explore, but with great caution, all avenues of artistry/revelation, and connect the dots, so to say, that you may become aware of the manner in which our convictions can shape our reality.

good luck.

much love :)

9. veinglory

veinglory Member

The problem with saying 'its' contents is that at least 4 different people have written a 'Necronomicon'. So first you need to agree on which fake you are discussing, before deciding whether it accidentally actually is profound tome, despite being written as a satire.

10. osiris

osiris Senior Member

and that observation can be applied to any religious text, as i stated above. but the power, the effect, is a product of conscious will. the texts are merely tools, conduits for the harnessing of the flow of the will, the concentration of the will upon its goal, and, depending on the psychology of those involved and the nature of the text itself, the consequent achievement of that goal. all too often though, as is the case with so many that i have seen fool with that particular text, one finds when they get what they want, that it was neither what they expected or what they really want. lol. such is the clusterfuck known as desire, eh? cliche but no less relevant for its overuse, the term "be careful what you wish for."

in my experience and observation, religion, magic(k), metaphysics, philosophy, science, fiction- all the same thing. Humanity shaping reality with its convictions, with its passions, with its art. The details seem contradictory in places, but that is the illusion of appearance. the nature of the way the spirit flows is identical. indeed, it is the same spirit that flows through all, manifesting, taking form, regarding itself. when we all become aware of this, many of us will see just how horribly cheated we have been by those who would propagate the texts themselves as literal truths, thereby breeding exclusivity, and cultivating the seeds of an inevitably violent and destructive conflict.

but that is merely my feeble perception, as best as i can relay it to you.

much love :)

11. Stalkz

Stalkz Member

If they were "hardcore satanists" they would probably have known that on ChurchofSatan.com they have a whole page about how it's a work of fiction.

And I don't know why people believe it.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i can tell you that i believe any and all concepts of demonicness to be nothing other then the vested prejudice
    of organized belief, and not even all organized beliefs at that.

there may likely be all manor of nontangable forces and biengs
    but little if anything is honestly known about this by anyone

people can and do cause harm
    but this i human society and not the influence of anything else

as for the book or several books
    written by fans of h.p.lovecraft
    reverse engineered from thier understandings and expansions
    of his rather self and sanity consuming universe

well that is as much as can be said with any degree of certain as to what it/they actualy are

as to how well or poorly any of them are written
    i cannot speak first hand as i have yet to feel
    any overwhelming compulsion to make their aquaintence.

i know i've heard stories in the past about person or persons
    writting them and later disavowing any and all connection
    with having done so

but i can't off hand remember any of the details about this either

all i know for certain is that it is somehow related to
    lovecraft's manufactured messkattonic universty/cthulu mythose and little if anything else

all well and good for telling creepy story arround the camp fire late at night
    but not very useful for anything to do with real life
    or even my own kind of imaginary ones

=^^=
    .../\...

13. SelfReflection

SelfReflection Member

My advice, to all of you.

Stay clear.

Why?

The Mind is a powerful thing.

The Mind has made your body. The Mind is ruling your life. The portion of the Mind that you know is like that of the tip of the iceberg...about 10%, the other 90% is below the water of your conscious awareness.

And it is playing out the script, of your life.

That is why you are where you are, and not where you want to be. 90% is greater than 10%, don't you....think?

Ha!

If you want to know more...post...or write. I will attempt to help you.

SR.
    but...I will not monitor these forums...so it is up to you. You either have the desire, or you do not.

14. SelfReflection

SelfReflection Member

themnax? I disagree with you.

For one reason only.

This is a Mind-made realm!

Hence anything that can be conceived by (a) Mind....Exists!

As evidence, I offer your own World!

You project everything on to the World that exists! From your OWN Mind!

If you were to pay attention, you would re-alize, and re-cognize (or know again) that that is the Truth.

For what I say...you already know, deep in your heart. I need not offer any proof.

You know.

And I do, as well.

Now,...others? Well, that may be hard to accept. But if they would only pay attention...they would re-alize it as well!

Enough clues have been given in movies, TV, and so on. Have they not?

They have.

I am listening.

SR.

15. veinglory

veinglory Member

The idea that we only use 10% of our brain is untrue. Only about 10% is active in a normal waking state, but different parts are active at different times and 100% is used at one time or another.