Navajo fry bread

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by scarlettchasingroses, May 26, 2004.

1. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

2 cups oil for frying
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 1/2 cups warm milk

In a large heavy bottomed frying pan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil or lard to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and milk; mix well. When the dough has pulled together, form it into small balls and pat them flat. Place 3 or 4 at a time into the hot oil. When the rounds begin to bubble, flip them over and cook until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve hot. These are great with honey and butter. These are good with chilies, cheese, onion, lettuce and beans....Nava Tacos....

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

mm... low cholesterol, good!

It does look delicious though, thanks for posting!

3. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

fry bread is SOOO good

4. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

mmmm, I'm from a Reserve in canada, and we eat those too! Indian Tacos we call them.
    When I was in New Mexico we ate fry bread but it was small pieces and called Sopapillias and I dipped it in honey. I've had it with jam here but never honey, and it was sooooo good, I came home and made all my friends eat it with honey. Still, Indian Tacos are the best, I eat one a week! haa haa