Natural Shampoo/Conditioner...made from household items?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by thelonesomeherb, Apr 19, 2009.

1. thelonesomeherb

thelonesomeherb Member

So I''ve been browsing this forum and pretty much only found the baking soda/lemon juice thing.
    I'm thinking about trying this but i don't know how this will affect my hair.
    I'm not quite sure how much baking soda/water i would need.
    And i like m y hair to be really soft, will this work?
    But mostly im looking for a good, natural, shampoo made from household items.

2. gertie

gertie Senior Member

curious about this too. especially with longer, fine hair.

3. igpay atinlay

igpay atinlay Member

i hear baking soda works well and doesnt leave anything in your hair, i've never heard of lemon juice and baking soda, the acid in the juice might hurt your scalp if it is sensitive.
    ive also heard milk and egg leaves the hair pretty soft (never tried any of these, do research youself before doing anything to your scalp :))

4. gertie

gertie Senior Member

lemon juice straight on and left to sit in the sun will help bleach it out (a natural "sun in')... yeah, my mom used it on our hair all the time when we were kids to bring out blond highlights in our already light hair.

5. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

i use baking soda to wash my dreads sometimes, and ive noticed that its made the ends soft and less dread-like

6. bearfeet

bearfeet Member

i love making my own concoctions of conditioner/shampoo. For shampoo mix baking soda and a little sea salt. i mix w/ a little water, rub it into the scalp then rinse. For "conditiner" i use AC vinegar, honey, some essental oil, coconut oil, and a tea bag. i keep them in bottles in my shower so its easy :]

7. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Apparently leaving some sort of avocado concoction (it might just be avocado and oil? google it I suppose) in your hair for a while, then showering it out is supposed to make it really soft and repair lots of damage!

8. stazzy04

stazzy04 Member

9. osaya

osaya Member

coconut oil is going to be your best bet for conditioner. it is thin like an astringent but really natural and easy to remove from the follicles.