natural bug repellent?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by morrisonfreak, Jun 5, 2004.

1. morrisonfreak

morrisonfreak Member

We will be going to wakarusa festival in a couple of weeks with our 10 month old and I was wondering if anyone knew of any natural bug repellents so he doesn't get eaten alive. I really don't want to have to use anything with DEET in it. Thanks! :)

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I use Bioganics Shoo!! It works very well. The first time I tried it, I took the kids hiking and the entrance to the trail was by these horse stables. You can imagine the swarms of nasties. Anyway, not a single bite. It smells like Pepto Bismol when you first spray it on, but the smell goes away. It works very well.

3. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Get Some Orange peel's and Rub them on any exposed parts of the Body ,also dont wear Bright Colours ,ESPECIALLY not blue..wear earthy browns and Greens.Avoid useing Body Deoderants and Perfumes aswell.

4. sweetpeace

sweetpeace Member

Avon Skin-so-soft bath oil in original scent works very well!! there is no deet. avon also has a bunch of bug stuff/sun screen that is deet free.

i use the skin-so-soft with my daughter and it works wonderfully:)
    --sweetpeace

5. Terelda

Terelda Member

There are a few different DEET free options....

1) Essential Catnip oil - apparently it's STRONGER than DEET!!!
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/08/28/mosquitos.catnip/

2) Natural Citronella - even Walmart sells this now, it's everywhere, yesterday I saw citronella bracelets for kids...not sure how well it works personally though...

3) Burt's Bees makes a good product containing lemongrass oil, citronella oil and rosemary oil, their products are great but pricey..... http://uncommonscents.com/burbeesinrep.html

Oh and have fun at the festival!! :)

6. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Citronella works.
    Or a lot of smoke from bonfires etc (perhaps not the best option)

TTFN
    Sage

7. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

i'm going to agree with the avon suggestion. avon bug guard is deet free. i'm not sure if any of the other big name repellants are, but they might be. read the can to find out.*i might be biased. i sell avon, hehe*

8. morrisonfreak

morrisonfreak Member

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. It is greatly appreciated! One of my friends has some skin so soft that I am buying from her for the festival, and I got some great sunscreen that is SPF 50 so hopefully my little guy will be well protected!! If anyone else is going, see you there!! :)

9. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup water

Rub mixture onto skin

i haven't tried this, but it's supposed to repel gnats, flies, and mosquitos.

10. charredacacia

charredacacia Member

any natural sunscreens (other than a liberal coating of mud)?

11. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

for insects:Repel Citro-gard. It's commercially available,I got it in the camping department of probably Kmart. It's citronella,lemongrass,all that stuff in a natural soy oil base.I used it at the Michigan Rainbow gathering 2 years ago,and that was the buggiest place I've ever seen and we live in Florida.

for sunblock:I'm not sure,check your health food store though,there's natural stuff out there. Isn't zinc oxide a naturally occuring mineral?that's what's in most sunblocks.