National Anthem,

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by FrozenMoonbeam, May 27, 2004.

1. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

It is tommorow - ooooh, shiver me timbers I'm looking foward to it (for anyone out of the loop/country: National Anthem is a fundraiser for this music programme aimed at teaching kids about music & the industry. It is 24 hours of live, free music starting 7pm? tommorow - It's live at the four main cities, with some great headliners and free entry; it' s also being broadcast on tv2 for the whole 24 hours. WHEEEEEEEE. It will be grand.

2. Alltaken

Alltaken Member

damn that crap.

i got a thing calle d24 hours of essay writing and millions of pages of presentation drawings to do. (supid homework)

Doug

3. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

aha, lol, me too. Only, the venue for it down here is between my house and the library (where I have to be so I can do essays)...i think i might get distracted...

4. Megara

Megara Banned

sounds cool...do big bands get down to new zealand much?

5. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

depends how you define 'big bands'. If by that you mean big, overseas bands, then occasionally, although they mainly go to auckland...we do get a few in dunners tho, people like ben harper and such. I think Alien Ant Farm did a tour..i, uh, missed it. Gosh darn.

and the Big Day Out cranks it - we had Metallica and the The Strokes to name acouple of 'big bands'. I don't neccesarily like these bands - but they big names, i sppose.

However, we do have our own music industry - who needs overseas when you have the black seeds, salmonella dub, the have, the datsuns, the d4, and so many more, lol?

6. Megara

Megara Banned

never heard of any of those ones you listed..what kind of music are they?

but yeah, AAF, metallica and strokes are "big bands"

7. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

never heard of The Datsuns? They're doing amazingly well outside of new zealand - heading the garage rock movement...

8. Megara

Megara Banned

nope...atleast not by name...maybe when i heard em

edit: ah..i just d/led a song...i've heard them on the radio before

9. Alltaken

Alltaken Member

yeah NZ music is awsome right now.

i think scribe, che fu, and a few other ones are pretty good too. normally i don't go for rap and hip-hop but they are pretty up-beat and not depressing about chicks and fucking and shit like the US hip hop. at least our stuff has some good morals to it and good intelligence behind it

doug

10. Megara

Megara Banned

lol, i dont think any of the major NZ cities have a queensbridge section or anything..life is different i'm sure....but yeah, the same old shit about women and drugs does get old quick

11. Alltaken

Alltaken Member

queensbridge?

Doug

12. Megara

Megara Banned

a very very nasty section of New York city that was filled with mobsters in the 20's and gangs now. Someplace i wouldnt want to walk during the daylight :p

13. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

i suppose we are not that harsh - but its not all sunshine and roses - have you seen Once Were Warriors? I love the portrayal in that of a New Zealand that is far more dark and realistic than a pretty landscape...and the opening shot...genius.

14. Megara

Megara Banned

Nope, never seen it...will have to see if the movie store carries it.

Well, i've never been to auckland or wellington, so i guess i shouldnt say NZ doesnt have a comparable section....but queensbridge stands out as one of the worst parts of America.

15. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

Hello to you peeps in New Zealand!
    Rock on with your bad selfs.
    Party hard for us losers in USA.
    Damn it hot out today......

16. Megara

Megara Banned

was nice here :p in the 60's...god i love vermont :)

17. geraldine

geraldine Member

well it's cold and rainy here and YUCK

and I have the flu.....

- the only thing bad about national anthem was the presenters!! (Fiona McDonald will never again have my respect....hmmph)
    yay for nz music though :) :) :)

18. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

hahaha Fiona McDonald looked like a fucking stoned out drag queen, from what I saw of the show (wasn't much because I was drunk and ended up watching a sexy Micheal Jackson DVD :p ) was a crack up seeing Simon Barnett though, seeing him always brings back great memories of 'Face the Music' :D

19. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

i can't believe that in my misgiuded youth i used to admire Simon Barnett (not on face the music - i'm talking the What Now years :) )
    but anyway... I hate him now..he tries too hard to be very Witty (with a capital W).
    he ends up looking like more of a Wanker.

20. Megara

Megara Banned

lol, i love the word wanker..not sure why, guess its just funny lol

need to import it to the US