Naked Lunch

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by prankster1590, Jun 5, 2005.

1. prankster1590

prankster1590 Member

[​IMG]

This is one movie to watch when you're trippin.
    You go straight to the Interzone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102511/

I think the director did a good job. What is your opinion??

2. sara74

sara74 Member

A man after my own heart. I love Burroughs!! I read the book several times b4 seeing the movie. Did u know that the scene of the "William Tell act" really happened? Burroughs actually shot his wife's head off accidentally and their son went to live w/ Burrough's parents; He was not indicted and did no jail time. Have u seen Drugstore Cowboy?? Man, Burroughs as the junky priest was cool and his soliloquy (sp) about the "international conspiracy" was right on....any thoughts??

3. EternalHunter

EternalHunter Member

This is a crazy drug movie based on a book of the same title.
    I loved it! Has anyone else seen this? You will rarely encounter anything as bizarre, it faintly reminded me of Fear and Loathing. Though Thompson is untouchable in my book.

4. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

Read Burroughs, man. He'll take you to places not even Thompson could have dreamed of.

5. Biggen

Biggen Banned

Read as much Burroughs as you can....it only gets better.

I love the movie...who woulda thunk Peter "Robocop" Weller had it in him!

6. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i hate the book i think it sucked and thats weird casue i love everything else byBurroughs

7. FNA

FNA Member

Made it half way through the book, couldn't do the rest....

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I red the book as well, before i saw the film. I didn't like it very much I remember.

I found the movie later on dvd so I decide to buy it and see if the movie was more fun. I really have to see it again because I don't remember very much of it, except it was a trippy film indeed. Probably didn't watched it sober.

9. sundew

sundew Member

Burroughs had some good thoughts etc.. and his gritty realism in "junky" for example obviously strikes a note with many young people but overall I think he's a diseased, twisted man. He definitely seems like a paedophile, can't remember which of his books it was but in one scene he talks about getting some young, very under-age mexican boy to have sex with him and his obsession with anuses (or is it Anii? haha) is also pretty disturbing.

Consider descriptions in 'Junky' of having to relieve the heroin-induced constipation with gritted teeth and an apple-core-remover tool.
    Then in Naked Lunch the talking ass-typewriter cockroach thing.
    Then in the last book I ever attempted to read from him which was about a group of gay pirates on a weird ship, the grand finale is some weird hallunicogenic scene where some guy gets up on a table, exposes his ass, spreads the cheeks and then everybody is sucked into this crazy swirling red cosmic vortex from this guy's rectum.

When people mention Burroughs as some literary genius etc.. I think it's way overblown and a case of often wanting to say you like him because it's cool and trendy to like him. I have no time for his work anymore he seems like an over-rated, over-adored sick paedophile with artistic pretensions.

Hunter Thompson in a similiar vein as someone above mentioned, I don't mind his stuff, he's a weird guy of course but Fear and Loathing and the Hell's Angels, and also Rum Diaries I liked and he doesn't seem like a total sleazy seedy sicko... still very crazy of course but just not..err.. gangrenous like Burroughs.

10. shaba

shaba Grand Inquisitor

Was this movie not based loosely on Kafka's Metamorphis?

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Eh, It's based on the book by Burroughs.

12. chupacabra07

chupacabra07 Member

im in the middle of the book, havent seen the movie yet, this book is the only book that can make me sick and aroused all in one chapter, he was definately a sick man. its kinda hard to understand because i wasnt alive during the beat generation so the lingo is strange but the parts i do get seem to expand my mind into the gutter(and i like it!). as for thompson...uncomparable...i totally relate to him, and he is my all time favorite writer, and not because its trendy...because most kids my age dont even understand the concept of gonzo journalism

13. chupacabra07

chupacabra07 Member

oh and in two days, thompsons remains are being shot out of a cannon...guess he really did go out with a bang...in more ways than one.

14. moonlight phoenix

moonlight phoenix Member

I watched an hour of the film last night (watching rest tonight) and really want to read the book now...its beautiful and ugly all at the same time. as a writer, I really can identify with some of the metaphors being portrayed

15. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I watched it last night.
    Wonderful movie, I really like how it focuses on Burroughs' life in the US (shooting his wife), and Tangier and also interjects the violence and drug addiction metaphor known as the city of "Interzone". The movie itself could have been much more insane, but it looked fairly low budget as it is.

I was expecting more, but I really like the way the book was presented in it.

16. Dragonchaser

Dragonchaser Member

While there are some ideas that may have similarities to Kafka, it is the Burroughs book and (as pointed out previously on this thread) even his life that this film borrows from. Awesome Cronenberg film and the Criterion DVD release was beautifully crisp (in the days b4 HD) and is made to be watched on hallucinogens. (My wife admitted she would have not even been able to follow the story if she had not taken mushrooms beforehand.)

17. WallFlower69

WallFlower69 Member

it was a very very very tripppppppyyyyy movie!!! i mean bug powder?! but yea..i kinda scared the crap out of me. i stoped watching it 3/4 of the way through. that said...i do like bouroughs.

18. Bouga

Bouga Member

The Naked Lunch was one of the most difficult books I've ever read. I still don't think I've recovered from it per say. The movie had very little to do with the book though, I think it was more of a statement of Burroughs life...in a trippier way.