Nail biting

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Woodpoppies, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

Hello everyone, Ive been bitting my nails since I was a little kid and it is a really really bad habbit and I always try to grow them out but I end up getting bored or nervious or somthing and start bitting them again ... Its getting really annyoing because I really want them to grow and I want to have healthy nails ... So I was wondering how could I and the the other nail biters stop bitting our nails? How did you stop biteing your nails? How do they look today ?
    I really appreicate the advice and I am sure alot of other people that bite there nails will appreicate it too !!
    Thanks alot !!!
    Peace<3
    Katy :)

2. familydog

familydog Member

paint your nails. the taste of nail polish is really disgusting and you deffinitely won't want to bite it. even if you don't want colour on your nails, get some clear polish, that does the trick

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

There used to be a nail polish called Bite No More, which sounds kinda gross but it was made specifically for people who had such a habit ~ it tastes super sour and gross, which made you stopped biting your nails.

Another alternative is to pick up a hobby that's stress relieving and keeps your hands busy ~ it distracts you from biting your nails, or whatever other bad habit you may have.

4. hb4ever

hb4ever Member

Bit my nails from 3yrs old til a yr and 1/2 ago. Tried that no nail bite stuff..if your stressed it doesn't matter. Folks tried everything and it didn't worked. Turns out I have a anxiety and stress disorder. Got put on lexapro and honestly I haven't bitten my nails since and hey their strong as hell too! Not saying necessarily lexapro etc for you but took me a long time to find out that the anxiety I had from childhood continued into adulthood. I was a abused kid by my mom so my nerves were always on edge. Check your arms..if you have lil bumps and think maybe acne..I thought that's what it was..nope if's from nerves. So before trying anything have a talk with your doc..

5. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

i have tried the no bite and it works for awhile, then you knida get use to the taste.

6. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

I haven't ever found a cure for nail-biting. I have a habit of biting my nails as well but I have a much worse habit of nibbling the skin around my nails until they're bloody. No-Bite never worked for me but I've heard of people it has worked for. Google it, see what people say. I just cannot stop biting.. my cuticles are permanently callused and it's just too easy to apply my nervous energy to them. I think it's just a matter of finding a way to control your nervous energy.

7. coreball

coreball Member

Well, here is my nail biting cure all - camping!

I never bite my nails while camping because I am so relaxed and stress free.

However, I usually "relapse" a while after I am home from camping, especially worrying about school and work .

8. flytothe_sky

flytothe_sky Member

i have a problem with this too, but i usually pick at my nails instead of biting them. and if i put nail polish on them, i end up peeling it off.

9. ZippyMischief

ZippyMischief Member

I bite my nails and I really don't think I'll ever stop.
    I bite them because I play guitar.

You think it'd be the opposite, but the nails make gripping the pick a pain.
    That and I play piano.

It isn't so bad if you do it right after you shower. They are softer then

10. AELcocholic

AELcocholic Member

its easy

stop biting your nails bite other peoples nails

lol just kittin :)

11. Opinionated

Opinionated Member

ive been biting my nails since i could chew. but ive been getting better about it and only chew on them instead of biting them off.

the way i did it was with gum. when i get nervous (at school i constantly am) i popped in a piece of gum. were not sposed to, but i figure its not a big deal if its helping me break a bad habit.

and when your stressed (this is gonna sound rediculous :eek:) try singing. really, just having a song that makes you feel good helps with the stress plus your mouth is occupied. i tend to sing joni mitchell songs lately because shes got such amazing imagry and i really have to work to remember the words.

one last thing. ask your friends to help you out. ive always got someone going "elisa! get your hand out of your mouth." lol.

good luck! :)

12. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

my nails are getting disgustingly short now.
    if you find a way that actually works, i want to know!

13. Fajardo

Fajardo Banned

That's a bad habit you should stop it.. i may case diarrhea or the worst is hepatitis a. You can also acqauire acquire worms like tape worm and ring worm..

14. InkShrink

InkShrink Member

I don't bite my nails, I pick at them with my other fingernails. I've been doing it since I can remember, and I'm still it now...20 years later. Any sort of flavored nail polish doesn't do anything because I don't bite them...and I just start picking them when I get bored, anxious, nervous, or just for the hell of it. HELP ME!

15. RollinBelle

RollinBelle Member

I used to bite my nails really badly... and when the nails were stubby, I would bite the skin around my nails.

Then I started spinning poi. Now when I get bored and anxious I pick up my poi and distract myself. Sometimes I can't spin, and my nails pay, but between wearing nail polish and telling my friends and coworkers to yell at me for it, I am soooooo much better than I used to be.

16. mrsmorrison27

mrsmorrison27 yoda piss

*sigh* i've always been a nail biter...
    but i just started wearing nail polish all the time and i don't have as much a problem with it...unless i'm not wearing polish :p

17. knottygrl

knottygrl Member

I stopped this by cutting my nails everytime they got a bit too long...this way there's nothing to bite!