MyGrow - how to grow my way (dirt)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Techniques' started by Silvine, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Silvine

Silvine Banned

Yeah, ppl usually bitch about what supa cannabis nutes to use, what lights, and bloom boosters and all kinda shit to stick in the pot.

My way is pretty simple.

20w a sq. ft - so like my last grow I used a 125w light 3ft x 3ft space. Thats about rite.

This light has a blue spectrum bulb and red spectrum bulb. I aint too bothered about spectrums tho, cause for years I just used a HPS from start to finish.

Well, here is the crunch - pot size. Took me a while to figure this out, but pot size is important as hell when growing in dirt. Start off in a small pot (1") to break the tap root then transplant up whenever the roots fill the pot. This depends how long you plan to grow. I used to do a max of 2 months vegative growth and get some pretty big bushes in a massive garden tub for each plant.

Fact is, when you transplant to a larger pot, there are more nutes in the dirt for that pot. So, like, never need to feed chemicals. The only time to feed is after the harvest, mix some chicken shit in with the dirt and water and let it sit for a month to ferment and break down. Then the dirt is ready to use again for the next grow.

So like, during the grow, all to use is plain water. You prolly know about water such as using distilled, rain water, reverse osmosis, shit like that or you could just use tap water. It really does not matter.

If you have a lot of crap around your taps, I'd prolly ditch the top few inches of dirt out the pots after each grow. Add some fresh dirt and chicken shit and you set.

Some neat things have come out too, like testers for soil ph, nute strength of the dirt, shit like that. Get some of those testers - they tell you how much NPK is in your dirt.

So basically, thats it - all the standard stuff such as 12/12 18/6 light routines and my way is to keep transplanting to larger pots and feeding water. Even if you grow in a closet you do not need expensive fans and shit when you grow at 15w-20w a sq.ft cause there is no heat build up. Just open the damn closet door every day to check on your plants and this will let some fresh air in.

Personally, I think its like putting the ganja in a coffin when you grow indoors under lights - I prefer outdoor my self. But if you got no garden (I never had a garden) then try and keep it clean and organic. Dont rape the dirt with chemicals. I hear news stories all the times where farmers use chemicals on their crops such as Nitrogen, and when it rains the shit leaches in to local water supplies. Then people drinking that water get sick because that shit just aint natural!

And that is what you toke down if you use chemicals - in the end it fucks up your throat and lungs burning the shit out of them and prolly give you cancer or bhroncitus. There are many chemicals that can build up with out you knowing it in the buds before harvest - metals - that will fuck you up. Like, if you ever get some bud, put it in the microwave on high for a few minutes or until it is bone dry. If the shit has a single spark there is excess metals in the buds - tiny particles that will rip your throat to shit if you toke it regular giving you a nasty cough for life.

See, the fact is this - chemicals are 'quick release' so they are available to the plant immediately. Organic is slow release - this means its needs to be broken down by organisms in the dirt for the plant to suck up the food. And guess what, the amount of micro-organisms in the dirt is proportionate to the amount of living roots in there. They have a symbiotic relationship. So when the plant grows, so does the amount of organisms able to feed the plant its food. This is why some plants grown for longer need bigger and bigger pots. Just to get enough food - its like the microoganisms will never burn your crop - but feeding chemicals will either burn them or cause excess metals and other nasties in your bud.

I think this should be made a sticky cause of all the bullshit on the net at this time.

2. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

First of all, standard rule of thumb is 50 watts HPS per sq/ft.

-seeds should be planted in oasis/rockwool cubes or peat pots, then into 1 gal. size, then into 5 gal. planters, but you can skip the one gal. size and go directly in the 5 gal. if you wish.
    -Dirt should not be re-used. Plants use more of one nutrient than the other and there's no way to tell how much os what is in the used soil.
    Plus, dirt is--well, dirt cheap.
    -Water matters. The cheapest method is to fill a large container with tap water and let is sit inside for 3 days or outside for 1 day to let all the nasties like chlorine evaporate/break down. Then you should adjust the pH.
    -Chicken shit has the right N-P-K ratio for veg but for a full harvest you need something higher in P during flowering.
    -Plants should be fed small amt's of nutrients every time you water.
    -Ventilation is essential, and opening the door occasionally WILL NOT supply enough CO2 for good plant growth.
    If you ever install ventilation you will see the difference with faster, lusher growth.
    -Any decent fertilizer has lots of nitrogen. It's one of the building blocks of plant food and is ABSOLUTELY NECASSARY. Nitrogen can be derived chemically or naturally (composted chicken/cow shit is rich in N).
    -The preferred method of removing excess chem's from marijuana is to use plain water during the last 2 weeks of flowering.

Your post is inaccurate.

3. Silvine

Silvine Banned

First of all, standard rule of thumb is 50 watts HPS per sq/ft.
    ----------------------------------------------
    No, 20w a square foot is fine.

-seeds should be planted in oasis/rockwool cubes or peat pots, then into 1 gal. size, then into 5 gal. planters, but you can skip the one gal. size and go directly in the 5 gal. if you wish.
    ------------------------------------
    I plant my seeds in a propogator - never use rockwool - its pH fluxuates too much.

-Dirt should not be re-used. Plants use more of one nutrient than the other and there's no way to tell how much os what is in the used soil.
    Plus, dirt is--well, dirt cheap.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Dirt is not cheap - I spend £20 a bag. Like I said, buy the testers to see how much NPK is in your dirt.

-Water matters. The cheapest method is to fill a large container with tap water and let is sit inside for 3 days or outside for 1 day to let all the nasties like chlorine evaporate/break down. Then you should adjust the pH.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Never had to adjust the pH of tap water - if its good to drink its good for the plants. Also, when you need several gallons of water its easier to use straight from the tap.

-Chicken shit has the right N-P-K ratio for veg but for a full harvest you need something higher in P during flowering.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Actually, chicken shit is pretty well balanced. Still, if you want to believe the bullshit that ganja uses shitloads of P during flowering, add some bat guano.

-Plants should be fed small amt's of nutrients every time you water.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Nah, the dirt has all the nutes. Feed water.

-Ventilation is essential, and opening the door occasionally WILL NOT supply enough CO2 for good plant growth.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Yes it will. Unless you grow inside a closet too small for the plants and airtight, just opening a door will let enough fresh air in.

If you ever install ventilation you will see the difference with faster, lusher growth.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    No, thats a lie.

-Any decent fertilizer has lots of nitrogen. It's one of the building blocks of plant food and is ABSOLUTELY NECASSARY. Nitrogen can be derived chemically or naturally
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Its the type of release of nitrogen that is the problem.

(composted chicken/cow shit is rich in N).
    -The preferred method of removing excess chem's from marijuana is to use plain water during the last 2 weeks of flowering.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Nah, thats a myth. There is no way of flushing the excess chemical build up from quick release chemical ferts. Anways, you do not flush organic, since the plant has no excess fert build up.

Your post is inaccurate.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Dude, you have no idea. I heard all what YOU have to say back in '98 - now I be telling you what the info is for '06.

4. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Silvine your one funny dude. Are you having fun winding people up or have you taken to many shrooms and lost it. If nothing else your entertaining.
    Thought you were a copper to start but coppers generally don't make me laugh.

5. Silvine

Silvine Banned

See, you could have the prettiest ganja but bottom line is the smoke.

Doing it this way is one step closer to getting decent smoke. Doing it the old fashioned way - with quick release chemicals (non-ogranic) and adding too much shit to the plant will fuck it up.

When I used to smoke from a dealer - I'd ask my self why the fuck does his shit feel like inhaling glass and my shit never did...?

Its the difference between mass production and quality.

There are so many things I could school you on - like for example - direct light...ganja needs about 6 hours direct light a day, the rest of the time it needs shade during the bloom process - and decreasing amounts of light each week. You may think this is bullshit - but you burn your plants so what the fuck do I care...

6. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Silvine you have some interesting things to say but your finishing sentence " So why the fuck do I care'' isn't the way to '' Win friends and influence people.''

7. Silvine

Silvine Banned

Go an delete more imgs....

8. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Lol .Got none left my friend. silvine I think I love you.

9. Silvine

Silvine Banned

10. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Can I be serious for a second and ask you a question. Just wondering why your somewhat aggresive in many posts.

11. Silvine

Silvine Banned

I do not suffer fools gladly.

12. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Everybody is an individual and has something to offer. Theres an old saying ye shall reap what ye sow. In other words if your nasty to everybody thats what you get in return. You seem like an intelligent person has life treated you that bad?

13. Silvine

Silvine Banned

You place words in my mouth to suit your own conceptions. Try working with the truth - its very easy in the land of make believe...

14. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Can we not put any bad feelings behind us. I really am a nice guy and have no wish to upset anybody.

15. Silvine

Silvine Banned

Try using a question mark when asking a question. Poor literary skills are not the result of drugs - just ignorance.

16. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Obviously not. I find it hard to believe you are 28 as you behavoir and attitude is akin to a 14 year old. I can only conclude you have an extremely low self esteem. Everthing in life is not a competition, it can be fun.

17. Silvine

Silvine Banned

Pompous ass.

18. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

It seems that silvine started this thread with an agenda.

He's 28 and comes here and pontificates on the "only" way to grow weed.
    Know what silvine? I've been growing weed far longer than you've been alive.
    Everything I stated is from the culmination of all this experience. Things I know for a fact. To take just one of your errors--
    I used to grow pot under 25 watts/HPS per sq/ft. Then I was "shown the light" and added another light, bumping it up to the accepted 50 watts per sq/ft. My yield more than doubled and I harvested faster.

As you try different techniques your cast-in-stone opinions will crumble.

19. Silvine

Silvine Banned

I used a variety of different lighting intensities and they all produce the same as 20w a sq. ft. So, like you are in your fifties, rite? I think yo senile.

20. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

I'm older than 2 silvines I wasn't going to join in but this sounds like too much fun!

Sil let's get some perspective here, child, your ideas and tech are good and they probly work just fine, but to say you've developed the ultimate technic and be so adimate about it is just ego!

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit.:)