my view on punks and hippies

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by brownie, May 23, 2004.

1. brownie

brownie Member

I believe that punks and hippies are essentially the same. I'm considered to be a punk, although i did spend a good time of my life checking out the hippie scene. it's said punks are the children of hippies. this is kind of true in my case. but my parents aren't hippies, my brother, his girlfriend, and their 2 friends all are. they're the ones who raised me... so yeah. anyway, punkness is just a new way for a new time. but with the same belief and center thrive, peace. :cool:

2. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

*** ok, here is my view on things.......it doesn't matter what i am...people can call me whatever they'd like.....i'm just me & totally enjoying life!

but i also think that if u r gonna put people into sub cultures that being 'hippy' is on the inside..not on the appearnace....wether u r a punk, goth, prep, surfer, raver, jock, or whatever...u can still be a hippy for sure...i like to think of all the people that belong to this group as 'modern day hippies'

I must add one more thing....just because u were raised by 'hippies' means nothing.......my parents are ultr-conservative, anti-drug, totally conformed people.........and then ........ there's me..........heheheheh.......:)

3. brownie

brownie Member

did i come off that way? sorry. i'm not putting people into categories and i know stuff is one the inside, not appearence. i was just going by what this dude i was in a debate with earlier was saying.

4. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

Innocent question, do not judge:

Aren't punks violent though? Not in that they actually commit violent crimes or anything, but most of the people I know that consider themselves punk are angry and they have all these stickers that talk about "hating people" and wanting to hurt others "cuz their bitches" and what not. Just wanted to know.

5. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

The human mind has to categorise in order to comprehend large numbers inherent within the universe and to use our inadequate ambiguous tool known as language.
    ..That aside, punks have a similarity with hippies in that they don't buy the BULLSHIT fed us everyday by the establishment.
    I've never called myself a hippy or punk, others have in order for them to categorise me as afforementioned. I care not what i am called. I am me.
    I'm certainly never going to be a 'model citizen' a correctly fashioned cog for the machine.
    So good on ya punk, hippies, and whomever wishes to not buy the lie.

~
    [​IMG]

6. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

ive been called a Gippy cross between a Goth and a Hippy, actually ive been called loads of things but i don't mind Gippy

s

7. brownie

brownie Member

"Aren't punks violent though? Not in that they actually commit violent crimes or anything, but most of the people I know that consider themselves punk are angry and they have all these stickers that talk about "hating people" and wanting to hurt others "cuz their bitches" and what not. Just wanted to know."

Those people would be the posers. They usually don't know what they're talking about. true "punks" really do believe in peace and oppose war strongly. but the music punks listen to is aggresive, if you listen to the lyrics (which can be hard) you really get that it's got some peacful and/or political meaning. i think a good example is the band anti-flag. one time at their concert, a little way in, they paused and the drummer went up to the mic and said, "you can be aggresive. this is aggresive music, but no violence. i don't want anyone getting hurt."

8. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

its funny how words that mean lovly things are used as an insult.
    punk, pagan, hippy, witch

need i say more

s

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

The punks were not children of the hippies. The difference between the hippy movement and the punk movement is only a matter of about five years.

Both have become nothing more than stereotypes. Neither the words "hippy" or "punk" have any meaning anymore, because they've mostly been exploited for the sake of fashion and are now nothing more than a gimmick. Consciousness evolves, too, so to be stuck in a mindset from the past is counter-productive to what is going on in the world today. I mean, some people have the basic idea down, but they're going about it in the wrong way. They think standing in the streets, holding up signs, is going to bring change when ultimately it would take a revolution.

But protesting and being proactive has nothing to do with being a hippy, because there are lots of intelligent, open-minded people out there who share many of the same beliefs that self-professed hippies do, but they don't feel the need to prove themselves as hippies by partaking in every superficial, stereotypical aspect of the movement.

10. brownie

brownie Member

i have no way to comment on your some of the stuff you said. but the exploitation thing, that's just the posers dude. the people who are really foucusing on the fashion and not thinking behind it. there's still "true punks and hippies" out there.

11. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

That's the point I would try to make, but not get across, as I would probably just be flaming people left and right. For example: brownie, at 13, talking like he or she knows the ways of the world.

Well said, Matt. And you saved a few people from getting hit with some image I found on Google Image Search that I wrote on, thus making a couple people laugh and the rest annoyed by me.

12. brownie

brownie Member

i never said i do know the ways of the world. hell, i probably never will. the way i talk is just something i picked up from my brother. by the way, how the hell did this happen? i was just stateing my opinion about people. i think i should stop defending myself in these things.

13. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I'm a booger butt.

14. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

hmmmm...im not sure if ive ever told you..hehe..but its imposible to develop boogers in your butt!!!...ok now that im done being anoying

i think "true punks" and "true hippies" are very diffrent...beacuse it seems that punks in general are more violent than hippies...espishily in there music

15. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

No, you're just old. And smelly.

16. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Deja Vu....