My second earthquake.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by MeAgain, Jun 17, 2019.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So I survived my second earthquake.

The first was in 2008 when I was visiting a relative in south central PA. We had gone to bed when we heard something strange, like an explosion or something......heard and felt. It was only a 1.8 magnitude but quite near.
    We didn't know what it was until we heard about it on the news.

The latest was a 3.4 and about eleven miles away. We were watching TV and I heard, or felt, something and I turned down the volume prompting my wife to ask why? I replied that I heard something. I couldn't figure out what it was, I thought maybe the heat pump or furnace had kicked on, or maybe the air compressor in the garage. We were in the family room on a concrete floor so we didn't feel the house shake much. My neighbor was on her second floor and did feel the house shake.
    I thought maybe an explosion somewhere.

We didn't know what it was until the next day.
    A 3.4 scale quake is pretty common, over 100,000 a year in the U.S. and they cause little damage.
    But any earthquake is rare in PA, only 73 of any size since 1931. This one could be felt 40 miles away.
    The largest ever recorded in PA was a 4.6.

So that was that.

Running Horse and KL71 like this.
  2. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

Supposedly, Connecticut gets small tremors every so often. One area noted was the village of Moodus, in the lower Connecticut River valley in Middlesex County.

3. morrow

morrow Visitor

MeAgain likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

morrow likes this.
  5. morrow

morrow Visitor

I thought a truck was coming through the wall, never experienced anything quite like it.. had a few small ones since.
    I was told my house is fine, built on a coil so it will move better :fearscream::screamcat:

MeAgain likes this.
  6. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I grew up in WI and wouldn’t have recognized an earthquake even if all the beer taps were destroyed. I now live on the West Coast and was 10miles from the 6.8 Nisqually quake in 2001. Wow. Ground waves distortion of buildings and liquification.

MeAgain likes this.
  7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I was in 2 earthquakes when I was in 2nd grade. One was the primary and the other was the aftershock. My house had sliding interior doors that really rattled hard back and forth. Sure felt it hit hard.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

supposedly we had a 4.0 last week. never felt a thing.

i've supposedly been in 2 or 3 others of similar magnitude, and also never felt anything in any of those. i'm starting to think earthquakes are just a fictitious event that seismographers made up to keep receiving their funding.

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Heavy Sleeper Would Be My Guess.....OR.....Tripping...And The Earth Was "Moving And Shaking" Anyways..... :D

Cheers Glen.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

the last one was supposed to be when i was in a meeting at work. so yeah, heavy sleeper.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The most powerful earthquake ever recorded in the lower 48 states.

It was so strong the church bells in Boston's Old North Church (1000 miles away) began sounding.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    MeAgain likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I've only ever been on an earthquake machine at a science building when I was younger.

It was pretty cool. My sisters and I got tossed around everywhere. Had fun.

13. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Avoid public restrooms, whether there is an earthquake or not.

14. hotwater

15. wooleeheron

You have essentially zero chance of dying in an earthquake anywhere in New England, and even spraining your ankle or serious damage to a building is incredibly unlikely. In Pennsylvania, you have a better chance of dying in a plane crash or winning the lottery.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Why don't they name earthquakes?
    Its disastericm.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  17. Earthquakes are scary. If I was in an earthquake, I would scream!

18. wooleeheron

These earthquakes are so slight you are likely to not even notice them if you are walking down the street. I had a roommate in California once who was paranoid about earthquakes and got caught twice on the toilet. He was a real Casper Milktoast Don Knotts type. :)

19. hotwater

The Great Boston Earthquake of 1755 nearly leveled the city according to John Adams

It's estimated to have had a magnitude of 6.5

[​IMG]

20. wooleeheron

Its a logarithmic scale and doesn't account for things like lateral sheering forces in some earthquakes, but 6.5 is where they really start to become destructive and deadly and in general. Boston wasn't prepared at all, with countless rather tall buildings for the time. Six floors was about as tall they got back then, knowing all to well how little it took to knock them down. By modern standards, those buildings had more wood, but where held together with elmer's glue and bailing wire. Six floors was as high as they could safely stack bricks, and they used bricks because fires were all too common.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019