my quest to find a tatoo artist...the hell

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by barefoot_kirstyn, Jun 27, 2006.

1. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

Well, I've been wanting a certian tattoo for about 4 years now, and I found a great one. It's a vine with flowers and leaves and a butterfly going down my ankle and foot. So, I called up the most popula shop in the city and asked if we could make an appointment...she said that they don't make appointments, that you just have to come in a put down a diposit and just wait till there's time. But she said that the place was pretty dead, so we drove there that afternoon. whne I go there, and i gave her the pic, I said, this is an idea of what i want, but I wanted it altered a bit. She said that they would have to redraw it because it's someone else's tattoo and that would take about2 weeks to redraw it. So I asked if it would be easier to draw my own up and htey said yeah.
    So I went home and drew up my own vine, which I actully liked even better, and it was WAY simpler.
    So I went back the next day and brought it in. The front desk girl said that they still had to redraw it, which would take about a week. I was like, "it took me 1/2 hour to draw that one up, why so long? I understand that the atrtisis have other clients, but a week!?"
    Then I asked how soon I'd be able to get in after it's drawn, and she was like, "well, you just kinda have to keep coming back and waiting until we can get you in."
    So then I asked about this automated tattoo book that has a bunch of their designs in it, and if I could look on there and get one of those vines. She was like, 'well, it's still going to have to be redrawn and it'll take baout a week." Yet there was a girl beside me who picked out a tattoo design and was heading in to get it done that minute.
    I don't know what they hell is up with this place! Almost everyone who lives in or around Edmonton gets their tats done there....when i told some other people what happened, they didn't understand why.

THEN, I went to another, quieter parlour a few minutes away...the guy there was quoting me 3-4 hours, when the other place was quoting me 1-2 hours. And this guy was $150/hour!

These palces are driving me insane!!!!!! What kinda place won't take appointments? and this other guy's hourly rate is ridiculous!!!! In my opinion anyway....
    there's another artist about 2 hours away who I would actually prefer (he's the one who did the original tattoo that I brought in to the other shop) and he's been doing this for 27 years, double the amount of time that other guy (the $150/h one) has, and he charges $120/hour.......and he quoted me 1-2 hours...... and he actually makes appointments, AND does walkins on Saturdays, it's just the problem of getting to the city where this guy is.

blah, this is really annoying me...why am I having so much damn trouble with this!!!???

2. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

I live in Edmonton.
    What are the places you've tried??
    Dragon F/X is a big NO NO in my books.
    Same with StrangeCity. I can tell you why...

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

It seems that if Edmonton is in canada then I don't know much about shops up that way, however lots of times I've went to get things done they do have appointments as for the drawing taking about a week, that is usually normal especially if you're trying to be creative and get/have something that no one else has, I mean come on do you really want the same tattoo that some other shmo has?

4. barefoot_kirstyn

I understoof the time it takes to draw the tattoo could take a while, but the fact that they wouldn't book appointments is what was really pissing me off....if a place is THAT busy then they should book and not turn away dozens of potential customers.
    And thanks sunnie for all the info again.....never go back to dragon fx....i've heard so many mixed things about that place....just figured that since it was so popular that it would be better than some of the other places out there.
    Funny what you said about someone being booked up for a while to get in...that Orchid palce I went to that charged the $150/hour adn was quoting 3-4 hours...he was DEAD, there was never a single person in there ONCE...glad as hell I didn't go with him.

5. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I've never been to a shop that had an hourly rate. All the ones here charge for the tattoo, the time is just....time. My guy that I go to stays BUSY....as he's the only artist around here that's actually worth the money.
    I don't understand why the artist at that shop would need to REDRAW anything....tattoo artists tattoo work by other artists all the time. If you want a certain design....why does the artist need to redraw it? It isn't going to be his original work even then....he'll be copying. It's as simple as getting the initial design on transfer paper....which doesn't take but maybe half and hour for large, technical designs. If the shop was worth the money your spending on the tattoo, you'd be in and out that day (considering they don't take appointments).
    I'd say that if you really want the artist across town to do your tattoo, call him up and make an appoinment, then take a bus or train across town. You'll be getting the work you want done the way you want it done, and it'll be more affordable.
    Good luck with your tattoo! :D

6. barefoot_kirstyn

thanks
    and lol, it's not that simple, there's no way to get to red deer without driving yourself, it's a city 2 1/2 hours away from the town I live in and 2 hours away from edmonton.
    I'm thinking that I'm either going to go to the guy in red deer whenever i can get down there, or go to the girl sunnie suggested. I'm not going to go to some stupid place that is shoving me around like this:$
    moon, cody was asking the same thing that you are about the redrawing....he's the guy with the tattoos in our family, and since he thought that it was pure bull shit, I couldn't understand why they kept saying that.

7. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Yea....the redrawing sounds a bit....weird. I'd say go to someone that's actually worth your money....that shop may have a good rep, but it sounds like they're just kinda leading you on.
    I hope you figure something out. You'll want more....they're way addicting. :p

8. barefoot_kirstyn

lol, that's what my hubby has said....he can't stop getting them, lol
    I know of 2 that I want for sure so far...one is that vine on my ankle and foot, and the other is a matching one of a percious moments baby that resembles Leane with her name and birth date and stuff that cody and I are both getting together.
    Don't know what else right now....but I guess I should get those first, lol

9. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Lol, yes.
    When Alexis is born, I'm getting the celtic symbol for motherhood tattooed on me....probably somewhere on the back of my neck (It's quite a small tattoo)....you put a dot for each child you have. I'll probably get her initials tattooed on me aswell.
    Let me know how the foot tattoo feels....I want one, but I don't know anyone that has one.

10. barefoot_kirstyn

i hear the foot is one of the worst possible places for a tattoo, but that's where I've always wanted it, so I'm just gonna do it. I'll make that the first one so I get one of the more painful ones done first, lol
    Is that motherhood symbol the 2 hearts intwined with eachother? I was looking at getting that one after I saw it on a website while I was looking for appliques for my wrap pants, lol

11. Noic75

Noic75 Member

I’ve always wanted a tattoo on my foot too.

12. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I think there's that one and another one....I want the other one. There are two, from what I remember....

13. naughty_nun

naughty_nun Member

You guys pay by the hour for tattoos? That seems mental ... we pay by size and colour ect... although i sence there could be good points and bad points to the way you do it. I have 2 tattoos and if it were for the fact they are so expensive i would have a hell of a lot more.

14. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

well you can pay by the hour or by the size, the larger the tatoo the cheaper it gets by the hour (even though it takes longer) 150 is pretty steep though