My poor, aching feet!

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by punk-a$$_hippy, Nov 2, 2010.

1. punk-a$$_hippy

punk-a$$_hippy Member

sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move it if necessary...I recently decided that I need some good, sturdy boots after my new shoes that DH bought for me only lasted about a month (I walked right out of the soles lol); so I went online and ordered myself some Dr. Martens 8-eyes. Well, the last time I wore boots of ANY kind was about 5 years ago when my old {read: I got them from a thrift shop when I was 15} DM's finally gave up the ghost, and I really don't remember them hurting quite this much...I also have an existing foot injury, I dropped a 25lb dumbbell on my foot two weeks ago, and it still hasn't healed all the way, needless to say, it's been quite a rough couple of days on my right foot...well, to get to my point...exactly how long is it going to take for these blasted things to stop hurting my feet? And am I doing the right thing by wearing them with my {still} injured foot?

2. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

call your doc right away!
    dropping a 25 lbs. barbell on your foot, is more then enough to break bones.
    2 weeks and it has not healed yet, is very bad news indeed!:eek:

dm or, any other non-orthoedic footwear will fuck up your foot even worst while it is injured.
    :sad:

just be sure you call your doc about your foot.
    your feet will love you dearly for it!:D

3. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

4. Justin_Hale

Sound advice!!

OP, here's what I have on breaking in boots to add..

If you have any swelling, it's not going to help you while trying to break in boots, lol.

I had some leather work boots that I used the water soaking trick on once. It worked on the leather, but the soles were so stiff it didn't matter that the leather was comfortable anyway. A $125.00 wasted.

It all depends on the materials, and your feet, I guess.

Found some advice at: http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-58207.html

By Googling: 'soaking leather boots in water'

Good luck!

5. punk-a$$_hippy

punk-a$$_hippy Member

well I went to the ER right after it happened, and the doc said nothing was broke, just some deep muscle damage? and he said there was nothing they could do about it? It's not really swollen, just sore...really, really sore...and kinda really bruised...and I'm missing a bit of skin from where it landed..? But you know where the bottom of the tongue is sewn onto the boot? that's where it rubs, and the really injured part is DIRECTLY underneath that, so, seam meets sore bit..? no good...:(

6. Justin_Hale

[​IMG]

Maybe these could help stop the rubbing on it some..

Edit: get the comfort-flex ones (they are big pads, about 2 x 3.5 inches). A little bigger than the pic here.

I had a nasty spider bite on my ankle and my boot was rubbing on it. I used these pads and helped keep them in place with some gause wrap and adhesive tape.

7. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

I wouldn't know anything about Doc Martens shoes, because I've never had any--but boy, do I know a thing or two about foot injuries! LOL Three years ago in July, I cut my left foot open on the back door of my apartment--it was late at night and I had to take my dog Merlin out for a potty run (this was around 10:30 at night)--after he'd done his thing, we headed back to the house to go in--and of course, I was barefoot at the time--I was also standing on the back stoop with my left foot closer to the door than my right foot was--well, I'd opened the door and I knew what happened right then and there, but the funny thing is, it didn't start bleeding til I got into the bathroom and put my foot in the sink! After I doctored it with some Neosporin and a Band-Aid, I called my parents and told them what happened, and they came right over and took a look at it--Mom wanted to take me to the ER to get stitches, but Dad wanted to make an appointment with our doctor to see if he'd do it--well, by the time I saw the doctor, my foot had already started to heal, and he told me that if he were to stitch it, he'd have to cut it open again and clean it out and stitch it up--so he prescribed some Silvadene cream for me to put on it, and he told me to keep it covered and change the Band-Aid daily, which I did--I've got a scar on my foot, but it healed up nicely! And yeah, I know what you mean about those big Band-Aids--they come in pretty handy--I kept plenty in the house when my foot was healing! :)

8. punk-a$$_hippy

punk-a$$_hippy Member

Well...I think that ER doc was a big fat QUACK! not broken my FOOT {lol pun intended :p} but the nasty lookin part FINALLY! healed, and the swelling has gone down, and now I can tell, that, yes, for sure, it was broke, because now I've got a divot in the bone!!! It doesn't hurt anymore {thank GODDESS!} and my Docs are all nice and broken in now...so...I guess the thing to take away from this is...DON'T PUT 25LB DUMBBELLS ON THE ARM OF YOUR COUCH! it WILL fall off and make your foot hurt like HELL for like a month or so...

9. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

That's kind of like what my doctor told me after I'd told him what happened to my foot--he told me "And the moral of the story is, Wear shoes!" LOL Of course, I prefer going barefoot--I don't wear shoes unless I have to--but I had to laugh at that! :) I'm glad your foot's feeling better though, punk-a$$_hippy--I know that had to have hurt like a son of a gun--and I'm sure it did leave a divot in the bone--I can only imagine what a broken foot (or any other part) feels like--but I'm glad it's healing! Peace and blessings to you! :)

10. punk-a$$_hippy

punk-a$$_hippy Member

I prefer going barefoot too, RainbowUnicorn, I just can't really do that in the winter here in Utah lol, can't wait until I move to Cali!

11. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

I know what you mean, punk-a$$_hippy--when it gets really cold here in Missouri, I have to wear shoes--but otherwise, they come off as soon as possible! LOL :)

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I just bought Docs Dr. Martens Official and man... they sure need breaking in. My feet hurt. The girl at the store is a veteran Doc wearer. I asked her, "how do I break them in". Mine are the vegan ones, so they're not leather. She kind of indicated that it's difficult.

She said you can fill bags of water inside of the shoe and freeze it so that when the water freezes the ice expands and helps break in the shoe.

I would try that with the way my feet feel, but I think I will google it first. Kind of bummed. It's like $100+ wasted...

13. Take the insoles out. Put them on and soak them with water. Wear them while they are wet for awhile for them to conform to your feet. Then let them dry. Made for you:)

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like rolling my feet over a rolling pin. Massages out tendinitis

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Dr. Martens are always like that... $$$ wasted.

Worst fucking shoes anywhere... No idea why they are popular.

soulcompromise and Driftrue like this.
  16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I have a pair of Doc Martens I've had since I was a teenager and I still haven't broken them in lol. The problem is they weigh about 3857478483 lbs so it feels like my feet are lead weights when I wear them

soulcompromise likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

Mine are low tops. They are lead weights, but they're good looking lead weights.

Update: :D

The shoes are made of vegan leather. One shoe repair place turned me away because of that. They said that you can't stretch vegan leather. But the store I bought them at felt differently. I called back to that place and tried to get the owner to work with me but he was firm that it wasn't a workable situation. So I took them to some other shoe place in an adjacent town. They're stretching them for me until Friday. Hopefully by then they will fit a little bit better.

Doc Martens, if you care to know are only available in full sizes. 9, 10, 11, etc. Well I wear a 10 1/2 and the 10 I bought, knowing it was a little snug, doesn't really fit. Long story short the right shoe bit into my heel pretty good after very little walking. Anyway, I hope this works. Otherwise the $129.68 (or whatever it was, lol) was a total waste.

18. soulcompromise

These ones are classy looking shoes. But anyway I asked the store if I could get money back. They offered store credit which I declined. I did get the right shoe switched out (the one that ate up my right heel).

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'll bet they make classy looking blisters on your feet as well...

seriously, they are the worst made, poorly designed shoes on the market.

Walmart specials are a better shoe...

I used to make custom footwear .. I know what good shoes and boots are supposed to be, and Dr. Martens are not it. Never were... Still don't know why they are popular or even why they are still in business.

20. soulcompromise

:tearsofjoy:

Yeah.