My parents won't let me go.

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by WoodstockChild, May 13, 2006.

1. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

Why does it seem like they have money for everything until I need something? They're a bunch of conservative wackos, that's what they are. I want to go so badly. This is exactly the thing that can heal my desire for the sixties, but no. I can't go.

2. Arnstein

Arnstein Member

I know its frustrating. Before I moved to my own appartment my parents didnt allow me to do lots of things and didnt give me money. But I love my parents! And you should love your parents too =]

3. WoodstockChild

They are insensitive. They think I can't function in society and want to send me to school on the internet. Just because I'm different. I find it hard to love them when they don't even try to understand.

4. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

How can you find it hard to love your own parents? They put you on this earth! Don't be so immature as to be ungrateful, ungratefulness is one of the most evident signs of ignorance. I understand you none the less, that you may not agree with their judgement and such, but to go as far as saying you find it hard to love them, i couldn't be more baffled by that statement...

You'll be on your own eventually, you got PLENTY of time to do what you want!

5. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

im a parent an i cant go..

an we home school our kids as well...

lifes not always the end of the rainbow..

damn child you have issues dont you? i meen,, baby girl,, youve got 53 posts on here that show yer really confused..

6. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

in all honesty I wouldn't let my child go to a Rainbow Gathering by him or herself. I'd go with her or him. I was a teenager not too long ago and I went through all of the experimentation. Remember, great things come to those who wait!

7. papabear

papabear Member

i wish i know now ,everything i knew when i was 15. i knew everything back then, and now i just dont know.

8. papabear

papabear Member

9. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I went alone when I was 16, with my mother's knowledge and by lying to my father. I would not do it again, although I was not harmed by the experience and gained so much from it, I COULD have been harmed, easily. It was insanly risky, and my father was rightly extremely upset at me, and called the police. I would not let my children go to a gathering alone at 15. I think I would at 17, but it's all individual maturity levels. I was extremely mature at 15 and 16, and I still think I should have waited. Again, I must stress nothing bad happened to me by going, and it was definately a beautiful amazing experience, but the possiblity was most certainly there (both in traveling to, and being at). I totally understand wanting to go, believe me. I wanted to go to Idaho when I was 15! I cried and cried because I couldn't go...but having went to Michigan at 16 I am glad I didn't. On one hand you can't get life experience without experience, but at the same time it's not all roses if you don't know the ropes. The risk is too much. You can PM me if you have any questions about my experience going at 16, because I will gladly talk about it and hopefully you can understand why I say to wait, since I am now 20 and no longer WOW!! COOL!! LISTEN TO ALL THAT HAPPENED TO ME, but instead have the hindsight and the experiences.

Hang on sister, you'll get there when it's time for you to.

10. WoodstockChild

Confused? Maybe. I just really want to go to this thing, to experience fellowship.

11. peaceful chaos

peaceful chaos Member

I'm mildly suprised by the statements in this thread also WoodstockChild,so your not the only one.Im heading to the Quebec gathering in July and I gather the vibes will be of a kind nature.

I know many teens who go out on the road on their own when not in school and they seem to know how to get by.Infact even some runaway teens I know get by.Granted there lives arn't glamorous but they aint dead either.

Perhaps theres something about the gatherings kept on the downlow to warrent them dangerous places for youth.

Hope noone takes offence to my post as its not meant to be offensive I just never thought the rainbow gatherings could be more dangerous than the streets themselves.

12. Advaya

They are not more dangerous than the streets. They are much better, but there as someone who did for the most part run away and go to one, I feel I have the experience to not really recommend it.

The trust at a rainbow gathering is double edged. On one hand, most people do mean well and are good people and are family, but when so many are, you don't expect those who aren't. People go expecting paradise, but paradise is complex, it's not just a place, but how you behave and how you react. There are people at a rainbow gathering I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole (like the guy who was at least 50 who tried to have sex with me when I was 16...) I was blinded by trust and I let that guy get me high. I would never ever do that now, I'm not so blind. Yeah, some kids learn that earlier, especially street kids. But they probably know that before they get to a gathering.. not everyone does.. and I certainly can't recommend running away to go to one. I wouldn't do it now, looking back. That's all I can say, I experienced it, I learned.. I still love gatherings and I still go. I'm just more aware now, both because of the experience, and life itself.

13. peaceful chaos

peaceful chaos Member

Thanks for clearing that up, now I think I understand.

I too think it's important for people to question peoples intentions and use general street smarts especially when your young and vunerable.Theres a difference between trusting your brothers and sisters and not questioning there intentions to some extent.

I can understand your concerns about the situation clearly now , and theres certainly reason to head the warning.

Much love[​IMG]

14. WoodstockChild

I see what you guys are trying to say, but just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm helpless. I feel that I could go there and have a good time.

15. Advaya

Yeah, you could go there and have a good time, and I still don't think I recommend it. For one thing, a gathering is lots of work. They are tons of work, you only get out of them what you put in them. They're physically demanding, and emotionally exhilarating, but that can also be exhausting.. VERY. It's not a matter of being helpless at all, but a matter of it most likely is not what you expect, and a total culture shock. I would feel safer at a rainbow gathering than at a festival, but I have been to them. I felt entirely TOO safe the first time, that was my problem.

I truely am not trying to piss you off, as I sent you a letter earlier in PM explaining my whole history..blah blah blah.. but I just think you have a lot to go through before you head off to a gathering.

I really feel that you would be babysit once you got there, and while that's fine in it's own way, and we watch out for our own, it still would be better to be more independent.

Maybe I should ask this first... what is a rainbow gathering to you?

16. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

There are other ways to get a taste of 60's culture without going to a Rainbow Gathering. It's not a matter of being helpless; it's like Advaya said, because there are so many kind people it is hard to tell when someone does not have kind intentions. Our 16 yr old son has been to Rainbow Gatherings starting when he was only 6 weeks old & we wouldn't want him to go to a Gathering without us or some other adult that we know and trust to keep an eye out for him.

You have a lot of time ahead of you, WoodstockChild. Gatherings will still be happening when you can go. Until then, take some time to learn about Rainbow on a local & cyber level. If there is no local Rainbow scene, start one. Invite peaceful minded people to a park for a potluck; get to know each other & plan a camp-out. Rainbow happens because people take initiative and make it happen; help it to happen where you are.

17. peaceful chaos

peaceful chaos Member

I hope you didn't take my earlier post the wrong way WoodstockChild as I wasn't necessarily implying that you shouldn't go as im all for people getting out on the road and experiencing new things,I just thought Advayas concern was a valid one.I'm actually not too much older than you so I guess were kinda in the same boat with this thing:p

The only real difference between my situation and yours is the fact that my family looks at backpacking or getting out on your own as a good way to gain independence and life experience.I agree, although I do think if your going to take that step you should be aware as to some of the dangers of being out on your own at a young age as should I.

Much love freind[​IMG]

18. papabear

papabear Member

i think the warnings i hear are valid, not everyone in a tye dye is going to be nice. one thing you have to remenber is 1 out of three girls is rape or molested by a family member, and that is blood. people will tell or do anything to get off, and at 16 you just dont have the wisdom or the experence to know what is right and, what is wrong. when so many bad influences can be all around you. i can remember doing real stupid things ,and looking back i see where trouble could have happen. being a male i am less likely to be hurt, but it could have happened. i was not as strong as i am today. Life happens by all means dont rush it, enjoy it. I am a daddy now fuuny how my parents were such assholes until i became one.

19. WoodstockChild

To me a Rainbow Gathering is a week to live outside of mainstream culture without the inflences of technology and mainstream society. It's a gathering of people who share a common dream of peace, and is a time for them to unite and share that dream.

20. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

theres where yer somewhat confused baby girl..

fine thats the vision,, but the reality is,, when you invite the world,,it generrally shows up.

the good the bad an the ugly..

love n light