My mate got dreads before me..

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Graham, May 8, 2004.

1. Graham

Graham Member

I said i wanted dreads since 6 months ago and that i was growing my hair long enuff to do it. My mates hair is about the same length as mine and yeaterday he came into school with dreads, and i was like cool! but realy i was like "you ****" because now i cant have them or people will accuse me of copying :'( boohoo

2. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! lol I was in art class and the guy at the table beside mine got dreads like a week before i did mine i was SO pissed cuz only like 3 ppl knew i wanted to get them, so ppl would think i copied, but then I though who gives a shit im not getting them for my classmates i'll do my hair any way i want to.

3. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

lucky for me ( i know it's horrible ) he stopped coming to school... I found out later he was in the hospital the whole time, he was in a motorcycle accident:( but he's okay now:)

4. Graham

Graham Member

maybe i should feed my mate rat posin or something :) (evil grin)

5. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i wouldn't worry about what other people think. if you want dreads, then do it.

6. LaughingLeaf

LaughingLeaf Member

do what ya gotta do.
    smart people will notice who you are if you just stay true!
    luv ya

7. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Wonder if the rasta's get mad because all these none rasta's copy them ?
    They do their's because of religious reasons. Hummmmmmm.........

8. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

the Rastas didn't invent dreadlocks, dreadlocks have been arround forever. Probibally before civilization everyone had dreadlocks!

9. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

I hate it when things like this happen! My friend got the same hair as me and now people keep saying we look the same!

10. Graham

Graham Member

yeah.. and to add insult to injusry somebody was wearing the same trousers as me.. and i try and pick unique type clothes and i was like.. WTF girr.

11. chandra anjali

chandra anjali Member

let's catch them all on fire, the imposters

12. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Found a little about their origin on the net......

Dreadlocks have been a part of the history of every spiritual system. From Christianity to Hinduism, locked hair has been been a symbol of a highly spiritual person who is trying to come closer to God(s). If one is to research the spiritual history and meaning of locks, they will be mentioned in all holy books (the biblical Sampson wore his hair in dreadlocks, and his unsurpassed strength was lost when Delilah cut off his seven locks of hair) and cultures. DreadlockÕs roots are commonly traced back to Hinduism and the God Shiva, but stops there. Meanwhile, most people recognize that dreadlocks have their origin in Africa, but nobody seems to know where, how or why! As with everything else, the true origins of dreadlocks can be found in Kemet (Africa).

13. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Dreadlocks must go back farther than that... What did people do with their hair before combs and brushes were invented?

I'm sure cavemen didn't have smooth, straight, slick, hair. I'm sure they had dreads, cuz they couldn't comb...

14. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

yer.. i no what u mean.. my friend gets stuf that i want, and then its like no...

15. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

Haha...this sounds familiar. I had been wanting dreads for a while. There was a girl in one of my classes who had AMAZING dreads. I complimented her on them...but at the same time, I was like "Damn it...now when I do mine, she's going to think I copied her..." lol. I felt a little weird, but I did it anyway. I wore a bandana for the first few days but then I was like...fuck it. It's funny, 'cause a few weeks later, she cut hers off. It was a shame, 'cause they had been so beautiful...but, she was still very pretty...:)

16. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

i had a similar situation. there was this girl (a friend of a friend) who i had only met once who at the time had braids, but had mentioned she was getting dreads at some point, when i brought it up.. i didnt think much of it, but the next time i saw her i had found out she had gotten her dreads exactly 10 days before i put mine in, but everyone said i was copying her, even though I brought up that i was getting dreads when we met. She even knew the girl i had come over to help me start the suckers growing. but she and our friends got over it, and it pretty much became 'my hair is mine and yours is yours and i dont give a shit what you do to it'

if you want dreads go for it. who cares what others have or think?

17. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

Bah... who cares if people think you are copying? A dread is a dread is a dread.

Hah. In middle school, there was this one girl who everyone thought of as 'the hippy'. This being middle school- it meant that she wore peasant shirts that she got at Limited Too. One day I was talking my best friend's ear off about beatnik and hippie culture and he accused me of copying the one girl. Jokingly, of course. But I think it was partly because of the girl's existence that kept me in the hippiness closet until high school.

18. greentree

greentree Member

I came out of the "Hippiness Closet" a few months ago :sunglasse
    At the moment I have brown curly layered hair with green tips - it looks wicked when it's just been dyed but it fades so easily! It's really annoying though, as soon as I got green tips about 20 people at college did something similar and it wasn't meant to look like everyone else's :mad: ahaha! But none of them wear bandanas or head scarves.

My friend Mike's just got dreads, it looks super-cool.