my little sister's first show

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by solargarlic, Jan 14, 2005.

1. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

I have a nine year old sister and whenever I go to a show, she begs me to take her along. She really likes the Beatles and has been getting into Phish and the String Cheese Incident, so she has tried to come along to the latter two, but my mom doesn't let me take her. Anyway, my friend's band played a Phish tribute tonight and at the last minute my mom asked me to babysit. I told her I couldn't because I was going to the show, which put her in a tight spot. She had big plans so she ended up letting me take my sister to see the show and it was a blast. My little sister was shy at first, but by the end of the first set, she was grooving along with everybody else. Hopefully, my mom will let me take her to an outdoor concert sometime this summer. I would love to bring her to see Cheese. Well, fare well.

2. SunFree

SunFree Member

Awesome . . . I went to my first real rock concerts with my older sister. You must be a fantastic big brother :)

3. paix

paix Senior Member

that's so cool, I wish my younger brother wanted to do that stuff with me, I took him to see spearhead once, he was horrified by all the hippies, lol.

4. yesplease

yesplease Member

ok... not that i have a problem with your little sister going to a show, because i understand the importance that music can play (or, in my place, PLAYS in life)... i just want you to realize that you are taking a nine year old (who is most likely in ....third or fourth grade?) to a concert...i just want you to think about a yoooouuuuunnnng person being around music (in a concert setting--beyond her just hearing Cheese on a CD), surrounded by people who are most likely either under the influence of either drugs/alcohol, and the (negative?) influence this could make on a NINE YEAR OLD. i personally do not condone taking a nine year old to a bar, regardless of the band/music being played, however, an outdoor music event could be/is different.... i don't know, it really depends... it's just that a third grader is YOUNG and should not be around a bar-like situation...i know that music is essentially important, but why expose them to the bar/alcohol/drug scene?

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I' promised my son I would take him to see SCI this summer. He will be five by then. He loves to dance! I can't wait. I think it will be great for him. Of course it will have to be outside. I would never take him anywhere that was enclosed with smokers, or where the noise was too loud for his ears.

6. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Someone needs to take a stick out of their ass.... :rolleyes:

Haha.. I'm 17, and I've never been to a show. You're one cool dude, for saving your sister this early. :D

7. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Start her at an early age... haha... my dad and his friend Keith took me to my first concert under a year old... Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers... hahah :p :D Seats were always free if you're under two, usually, so they usually brought me... I've gone to shows that I don't even remember going to... ones that I wish I could have been older to remember... which is really sad... I saw pearl jam when I was three... I think I was also taken to the eagles hell freezes over tour... but I'm not sure, that was the first year joe walsh rejoined... I've gone to more than my dad or I can remember... I only know a good fifty or so shows... I've seen quite a few progressive bands... I really have no idea who I've seen. I have stubs somewhere in a box in the basement closet. I never saw the dead, though, before Jerry died in '95. I'm going to see the Eagles in March in Hampton, VA... my dad's birthday, then I'll probably see crosby, stills, and nash... again. :p I love concerts... that's one of the only reasons I want to move to Texas is because Austin is really the center of all live music... I really want to go to Red Rocks amphetheatre one day... one of my dreams. I'd say my best last year that I saw, was either CSN or Peter Frampton... he does an amazing cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.... he's getting into jazz nowadays... actually, he's taken a Tacoma acoustic and is using it for hollowbodyish jazz stuff.. pretty cool. People really underestimate Frampton as a guitarist... imho, he could blow Eric Clapton away on solos if he really felt like doing so... and I've seen Clapton. But Peter can be a modest guitarist, sometimes... but a very well rounded musician.... excellent songwriter on top of it... and he has an awesome band... Gordon Kennedy. He wrote "Change The World" for Eric Clapton.

8. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

I think the important thing for her to learn early on is that the shows are about the music and not the drugs/alcohol. I wouldn't walk her down Shakedown Street and point out all the stuff that was going on. I would bring her right into the show to experience the music and freedom of dancing. If she asked me why people are drinking, I'd tell her they're old enough to do it. Young kids see their families drink all the time at parties. Seeing an older person drinking doesn't tell a little kid it's okay for them to try it. And like Kilgore said, I'd bring her to an outdoor venue so she wouldn't be surrounded by trapped smoke. Last night's show was at a church and was certainly no smoking. No harm done there. I think it's good for her to experience the liberating effect of the cheese at a young age. I'm not about to take her on tour and have that be her everyday reality. But I think one show will do her good. She has a lot of built up anger from our parents' divorce and cheese is a place where she can let go and feel the positive energy. IMHO, it's the cheapest and most rewarding therapy around. Thank you for your thoughts, though. It helped me think about the type of environment to create for her (i.e. avoid shakedown street, probably v.i.p. parking, and how to explain the alcohol use). Have a nice day!

9. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

on the topic of concerts...if any fo the guys here could get a girl to go to a ravi shankar concert, how long would it take you to ask her to marry you :p

HE IS COMING TO EDMONTON, ALBERTA IN MAY!!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! tickts are only like 45 bucks for cheap seats...

10. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

I think the answer is obvious.. right away!

11. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

thats awesome! i iwhs my brother would bring me to the Black Label Society concerts hes going to soon. My mom probably wouldnt le tme go though.

But being 9 isnt too young. Let her get into her own thing, i would have loved to be able to go to a concert at that age.

12. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Trevor, I'd be honored to be your husband, if you took me to that.

13. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Right on...right on.. :H

14. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

I spent most of my young childhood at fests and concerts. As long as you're having a good time, as a little kid you don't notice the intoxicated random people.

It's cool that you're that nice to your little sister. My bro was never that nice.

15. snelio37

snelio37 Member

one lucky little girl. i went to my first show over the summer and look what i am now. i was a straighteded nut before and now i am here talking to you people :) . it can really change your life, your first show.

16. paix

paix Senior Member

I think it's obvious that his sister looks up to him, and as long as he's not getting fucked up, and explains thigns to her, she's gonna be just fine. Plus, having divorced folks, that is a really amazing way to show her how to embrace the positive.

I have alot of friends who's kids are being raised on tour or at rainbow gatherings, and a bunch of friends who were raised that way, and I gotta tell ya, they're all great people. I believe kids should be protected from people that would harm them, but they also need to be show what's out there, the world isn't as pretty as most parents paint it to be, and kids who are way sheltered hit reality hard. Obviously there are things kids don't need to see, but there's so much positivity at shows, especailly SCI, being paranoid never helped anyone grow ;)

17. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yeah, but you have to figure in the fact that shit really does happen :p :D