my little man whines ALL the time, it's driving me crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by greengoddess, Aug 18, 2005.

1. greengoddess

greengoddess Nature Freak!

Aden is now 10 months old and he's in this stage where ALL he does anymore is whine for no reason most of the time, he's driving me crazy!!!!
    is there something I can do, I try playing with him to get his attention off whatever he's wining about but no matter what he just whines and whines and whines, I probably sound horrible but I'm going nuts!!! I feel so drained by him, I'm so irritable with my husband and cranky all the time and I know it's not Aden's fault he's just a little baby but he's soooooooo demanding I'm scared this will never end.
    has anyone else delt with this?
    any advice is well appriciated!!!
    thanks much,
    Hollie*

2. FallenFairy

FallenFairy Senior Member

my son is 5 months and his name is Aiden crazy huh?? well he is whining whenever i set him down or leave the room. what i do ( even though my fiancee hates it and yells at me for when i do it) i let him cry and calm himself he is just going through anxiety but if his crys persist and get worse pick him up and calm him down maybe take him outside. what your doing is fine aden will be whining for a while. maybe his teeth are bothering him try to give him an ice cube or something else could be bothering him.

~Fallen Fairy~

3. greengoddess

thank you fallenfairy! that's so cute your son's name is Aiden too. I was thinking about spelling it that way, we wanted to be differant though, my hubbys idea, lol.
    yeah I try to leave the room but then all I hear is "ma ma ma ma ma ma" while crying I feel so bad then I come back. I can't handle the crying either.
    what do you do to calm yourself down?
    I go into the bathroom and turn on the shower so I can't hear him, I know it sounds terrible but it's the only thing I can do to calm down from the stress.
    I hope this doesn't last much longer.
    he's just so demanding I hope that doesn't stick with him till he's older.
    I can only imagine how he's going to be when he's two or three.

4. FallenFairy

i leave the room and before i leave the romm i tell him mama's got to go potty or do whatever and leave and do what i have to do and just ignore his crying until i am done with what i need to do. it sounds like your son is going thorugh anxiety also it wont last long if you dont run to him every time he cries just let him cry for 5 minutes then pick him up calm him down and play with him then go on with what you were doing and keep repeating that and adding a minute each time but if his cries are blood curdling thatn stop but if he is just whining try to ignore it and focus on whatever your doing . i gues i am used to this cuz i helped with raising three other babies my two nephews and sister.

we spelt aidens name the way we did cuz it means fire/fiery .

5. greengoddess

thanks for the advice.
    I'm really starting to think that he's just spoiled.
    I basicly raised my 6 year old brother and I've babysat plenty of kids they never acted like this.
    geesh I better nip this in the butt now.
    thank you. really, just talking to someone made me feel better.

oh Aden means Handsome and Adorned.

6. FallenFairy

well honestly i think you can never spoil a baby not until they can understand and interpert alot of things. but i also do beleive that if you start dicsiplining your baby they will learn to understand a bit faster. Im not talking about the physical discipline like hitting or whatever. im talking about letting your child cry when you leave the room, when they do something bad or unsafe saying no in a nice tone of voice, little things like that. if you ever need to talk or need advice you can always talk to me and if i am not on the forums you can email me at FallenFairy6669@yahoo.com

~Fallen Fairy~

7. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Hun, you can't spoil a baby. Feel around in his mouth to see if he has any teeth about to erupt. His gums will be red and swollen. Give him a cold wash cloth to suck on if that is the case.

You really can't judge how a baby is going to "turn out" when he is only 10 months old. He is whining because there is something that he needs or wants or is hurting. Maybe his clothes are uncomfortable. Try taking a bath with him. You can relax and he can too. Just take some time to lay down with him and snuggle.

I would not suggest letting your child cry and leave the room. Your baby has some need that has to be met. (It is hard to figure out what it is sometimes!) If you "ignore" it, you are telling your child you can't be trusted to help them. You really can't "discipline" a baby. They do not understand consequences.

8. greengoddess

believe me I've tried EVERYTHING he whines everyday ALL day, this has been going on for more than a month. I seriously don't think he's uncomfortable or hurting, yeah his teeth may hurt here and there but everyday? and I'm not exaggerating at all.
    and maybe you can't spoil them but he know what to do to get his way.
    and when I tell him no he turns and laughs. I'm just worried this is going to get worse.
    he's a very smart boy he knows what he's doing, I can totally tell he does.
    and like I said I raised my 6 yr old brother (my mom's a drug addict, and was NEVER home) and I've babysat plenty of kids, I've never seen this type of behavior. when I tell him no and he wont stop and I pick him up to move him from the situation he'll hit me in the face. and me and my husband never hit, or fight, I don't know where this is coming from. I'm really worried.

9. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

My oldest son is 5 years old and he's a champion whiner to this day. Whines about having to pick up his toys, whines about having to go to the store, whines about having to put his clothes away... ;)

10. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

I agree with everything sugrmag said. You cannot spoil a baby. There is a need that is not being met. Does he stop whining when you hold and carying him around the house while you do other things? Sometimes just being close to mama and observing things at her eye level will really help to stimulate a babe and keep him happy :) If you haven't tried a sling or other baby carrier, I'd suggest you try that before leaving him to cry. It won't be long before he won't need you 24/7 and you'll miss that :(

If he's still nusing, you could try nursing him when you need a break from his whining. I've yet to meet a babe who complains while suckling LOL :)

11. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

My kid didn't grow out of it until he was 3....I mean he honestly couldn't stop crying on his own, he had to have someone there to comfort him. I felt like I had a growth (mind you an adorable needy growth).

If the violence or defiance really scares you, you might want to enlist the help of a therapist (not the drug pushing psychiatrist, but a psychologist)...I wouldn't dope up a kid at that age, as they do grow out of most everything with love and support, but it sounds like you could use someone with insight and tactics to correcting the behavior.

I took a kid with some serious behavioral issues into my home, and I honestly don't know if any of us would have survived without the therapist.

12. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

Have you tried teaching your lil man to use sign language? I've used it with my two girls and it so fantastic for when they start understanding things yet not verbal enough to tell you what they want. I just did the basics: water, milk, more, HELP (that was a big one for my oldest, no more tantrums!), eat, finished, up, down, you get the idea right ;)

Here's a GREAT site: http://www.born2sign.com/ It gives animated examples on how to sign the words.

Sign language has been such an awesome way to reduce whining/tantrums in my family I can't believe I didn't mention it in my first post!

13. greengoddess

the sign language is a wonderful idea, I've really wanted to try that, how old till they get it?
    he's doing a little better lately, he just always wants to be cuddled or played with, I'm trying to be alittle more patient with the whining, it's still driving me nuts but what can ya do, lol
    I try to just walk away a few times and I don't give in as easily with what he wants now and I can honestly say it's working a little, he know I'm always there, I'll still talk to him while I'm cooking or cleaning but when he whines I don't go running over and pick him up as fast as I used to. it's gotten a little better.
    my mother in law says that if I run over and pick him up every time he whines he'll just think that that is what he has to do for my attention, and I agree, now if I'm cleaning or cooking and he wants my attention I'll talk to him from the kitchen or whatever and the whining soon stops.
    I'm not worried about him not trusting that I'm there for him, I slept with him every night for most of his life I was at his beck and call every moment untill recently, he's a very content baby with what's going on around him, he's just a high maintenance little dude. always wants my attention. which I really don't mind, it's the whining part that drives me crazy. but I now see a light at the end of the tunnel so things are alot better. and the hitting stuff is stoping now too, he'll do it sometimes when he's really throwing a tantrum and I mean a tantrum that a two year old would have . if he touches the t.v and I say no he'll throw himself on he floor and kick his legs, I'm telling ya that kid is sooooo much older acting than 10 months. he acts like he's two. lol
    well maybe we're getting over the terrible two's early, wouldn't that be nice, lol
    thanks for all the advice.
    much love always,
    Hollie*

14. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

MY daughter did the throwing her body back tantrum too, at that age too. Sometimes she hit her head on the kitchen floor :( Didn't take her lond to learn where to through a tantrum like that LOL As for the sign language, I'd start it now. With both my girls I saw their first sign around 9-10 months. I started at about 5 mo with DD#1 and about 8 mo with #2.

15. greengoddess

I just went on the site born2sign.com it is sooooooooooooo awsome!!! thanks, I love the disscusion board. thank you so much for the web address.
    I highly reccomend the site for anyone wanting to teach their child sign language.