My Life In Who's Hands?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by EarthWhirler, Jun 7, 2004.

1. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

Last week I was sacked.

I had been managing a smallish book shop for about 9 months, with the boss from Hell. I couldn't do anything right for him, when he hired me he wanted me to bring new ideas to the shop and to use my initiative, but of course, as so often is the case with small business men, he didn't really want me to change anything.

It became apparent to me after discussions with the staff and the previous manager that he was a prick. :) He threatened to sack me on a couple of ocassions without any grounds. What it basically came down to was the fact that the shop wasn't taking as much money as he wanted and naturally, it was my fault.
    I'm not very well known on these boards so I'm just gonna big myself up for a sec. I don't agree with the idea that everyone should get a job. I've always been a firm believer that if you're going to work; it should be something you really want to do, after all 40 hours a week is a big chunk of your life. But I have done crap jobs and I am a hard worker. I also believe that if you are going to do something - do it well and try to enjoy it. Most of my work life has been spent with the public, and strangely, I like customers! I'm always friendly, give good service (of the clean variety) and, well, I'm the person everyone should have working in their shop! Anyway, point is, I was good at my job and he was a prick to let me go. Interestingly, he's taken on the old manager temporarily despite telling me that she wasn't very good at the job and she hated being in the shop!

Sooooo......fundamentally I'm glad I'm not there. I didn't realise how much of a negative effect the place was having on me. The Dok was a hero and took me straight out to Dartmoor (see pics on UK photo's) parading me around stone circles, magical woodland and shiny streams! (oooh we won't mention me falling over ;) ) He's been very very supportive and I'm missing him muchly today now he's back at work and I'm not!

It's all very scary. I'm being paid for the whole month so I have some time to think about what I'm going to do and my plan was to chill for a bit, but already I'm freaking out. It's amazing how quickly people can adjust to full-time work and how empty it can make you feel when it's taken away from you. I'm a firm believer in destiny, yet I also believe in taking control of a situation and steering it in the right direction, maybe the one can't happen without the other?

I know that this is the right thing to have happened. I know that my life is now in my hands. It's just that I can't see any paths up ahead.

Thanks to Fleassy, Chicka, Rainbow and Showmet for your support hugs :)

2. JOsie

JOsie Member

despite what at first seems like a scary situation...it could be just what you need to make things even better for yourself...

and of course...staying in bed till midday is good too:p

3. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I know I really shouldn't ... but I can't stop myself ... it's "my life in whose hands", not "who's". :p Sorry.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, it'll work out - like Josie said, it's an opportunity.

4. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Shouldn't that comma really be a colon? :p

5. Summertime

Summertime Member

Awww. :( *hugs* Yeah, I agree with the others- see it as an opportunity :) Maybe use it to think about what you really want to do. If you're good at this kind of thing, could you look into opening up your own shop? I have no idea about how to do this so don't know if it would be feasible! But an idea?

Hope things are okay,
    Summer. xx.

6. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

:p Thanks Showmet......actually, I did spend some time looking in a dictionary but couldn't seem to make any sense of anything, then I realised that no-one can even spell in this forum so what the hell!!!

Yeah, I do see it as an opportunity, it's just getting past the fear first, knowing it and feeling it haven't quite connected themselves yet.

*Edit

Weirdly enough Summer, that has been the theme of this year, I've wanted my own shop for a looooooong time, it's a case of finding the right area to do it, so this may very well be the right time, but it's also gonna take time too! Bit of a time issue there methinks.....

7. Maon

Maon Member

good on you ... love to see someone taking things into their own hands. It takes guts to step out and it is actually easier if you have support around you. So if I can ever do anything to help you at all then just call and ask .. if i can i will, i i can't i might know someone who can ... if I can't then I will say so. But don't ever hesitate to ask because that is what makes dreams possible.

8. PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange Member

I've always been a firm believer that if you're going to work; it should be something you really want to do, after all 40 hours a week is a big chunk of your life.

hey, I know it is a really simple thing that you said there, but those lines really inspired me for some reason...theyre proberbly the best words I have heard in a long time.

groovy:)

Peace xx

9. Merlin

Merlin Member

I'll second to that dude. For me, it's about 36-7 hours a week. I don't classify myself as workshy, but I'm not at all into the full monty of it personally. I think part-time work rules.

10. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

know how you feel. best of luck for the future. something will crop up. don't forget ya network.

11. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

*hugs again*

start your own shop hunny!!! do it do it do it!!!
    im a believer in no obstacles, if you want something enough then you can go out and do it! oh oh oh...im all excited. im not worried about you at all as i know things will work out alright for you, i just know it.
    muchly love an huggles
    namaste
    uma
    x x x

12. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

:D Awwwwww, thanks guys you've all been so sweet!!!

Your next mission should you choose to accept it is to find me a nice town that really really wants a good alternative bookshop selling cut price books!

Answers in the next thread please.......