My hair is gone!

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by sweetersappe, Jul 22, 2007.

1. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

I finally got up the courage to donate my hair.
    Here is my hair last week:
    [​IMG]
    Here it is now:
    [​IMG]
    It feels good, but strange.
    My hair seems to be curlier than the last time it was short.
    I'm not sure how to fix it yet. It's flippy and unruly.
    Any ideas?

2. psychedelicgirl

psychedelicgirl Member

WOW, i really like your new hair! :hurray:

very cute!
    i know absolutely nothing about fixing hair, so i can't give you any good advice... maybe flippy and unruly is good?

3. umm...ya

umm...ya over joyed!

I did that about 2 months ago. I like it but I miss it long too. It looks great.

4. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

you should get some hair wraps and plaits put into it, my hair is rather limuited, being in a bob, so this is what i do!

5. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

I'm not sure what this means? braids? I have to be pretty conservative for work (I'm a librarian). Will you explain?

6. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

Yep, plaits are braids, sorry, i'm from the UK, and that's what we call them! You could probably get a few in the back which could then be clipped together, which would look really cute, and conservative. When you aren't working, sew a couple of beads into them, I've just spent all night doing that to mine!

7. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I like your hair short...my hair gets really wavy like that too when I cut it (which hasn't been for a long time!)

Perhaps clips or a headband to pull it back at the sides...I think the wave in the back is very nice, and you might actually consider emphasizing that somehow...but then again, I like "flippy and unruly"!

Good luck with it!

8. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

What organization did you donate to?

9. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

You have similar hair to mine. Only mine is long in the back at present. Not as long as yours was but close. Try layering and feathering the top....Like in a angle from the jaw line back up along the line of your skull. Or an all over layered...feather cut. Like a long pixie cut but totally layered feathered into a short shag cut. That way if your hair is unruly it looks like it is supposed to lay that way. I got mine done from the base of my ears back along my skull and the back I leave long. So my ears are covered with feathery wings and the rest blends in. I used to wear it all one length or in a short shag type cut or a longer version called a gypsy cut. Back in the 70's I wore it in a Farah Fawcett flip. But one side always wanted to flip the other way. Believe me layering and feathering cures the unruly look. And with a little hair gel and a little teasing and drying it upside down it is fancy enough for going out to the pub. Or out to a nice restaurant with your honey. The only thing else that can make unruly hair look decent is to french braid it. But it is too short in back for that at the moment. Take from someone who has been there and done that.

Peace, Cricket

10. Morganna

Morganna Member

cool

I grow hair and donate it too. Two times a year Fantastic Sam's has drives for locks for love who makes wigs for sick little kids. I might give the next time I hear they are doing it.

11. Blonde_Revolutionary

Blonde_Revolutionary Member

When I cut my hair I had the same problem, it was out of control. I learnt that fighting against it was useless. Best thing to do is use a curl definer to make your curls look full and smooth, and de-frizz, de-frizz, de-frizz. Sometimes you just have to let your hair have it's way, but by controlling the frizzies curly hair is a lot of fun.

12. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

Locks of Love. I donated my hair once before, but to a different organization. It was a long time ago and I don't remember the name.

Sorry for the late reply, I was without a computer for a couple of weeks. ;)

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

not to demean anyone's previous donations, but next time find a group that actually does what it says.
    LoL claims to get 2000+ donations of ponytails a week. That is about 104,000.
    At ten ponytails per wig made, that is 10,400 wigs annually, but LoL itself claims it has made "more than a thousand" wigs (on the Lol history page).
    The organization also says on its page that it sells any hair inadequate for wig making.
    Better Ideas? Wigs for Kids, hold your own cut-a-thon and get people to donate to a charity by the inch of cut hair (or a lump sum).

LOCKS OF LOVE IS A SCAM.
    they continue to promote that they give wigs to kids with cancer. This is patently untrue, as they supply a few wigs a year to patients with permanent hair loss.
    NOT temporary loss from chemo.

14. unlearn.and.be.free

unlearn.and.be.free Guest

I'm not sure if it's a scam...but I agree that there are other, less-hyped organizations that hair can be donated to. A few years back, I donated about 18 inches to the Princess Margaret Hospital Centre for Cancer Research, here in Toronto. They have a wig clinic in the hospital. I also like the idea of raising funds and donating the money... but it's your hair your choice. There are probably other hospitals or research centres that will accept hair donations, if they have a wig clinic on site. :)

15. NorthernLytes

NorthernLytes Member

super cute, it must feel so much lighter and bouncier

16. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

I chose to donate my hair to an organization that helped people with permanent hair loss. I have had good dealings with locks of love in the past and the lady who cut my hair donates a lot and does cut-a-thons on a fairly regular basis. I trust her judgement.

17. mrsmorrison27

mrsmorrison27 yoda piss

i think it looks great!

18. flowerchild23-91

flowerchild23-91 Member

You could always use a hair straightner if you don't want the flicks in it, but i personally think your hair looks fine as it is.

19. Jonsey_Babe

Jonsey_Babe Member

i think that this is the most amazing thing that women can do for each other. Women are not our hair but it does play a big part in some of our lives, even our fellow sisters with dreads know how important their hair is to them. You are blessing someone with a gift of hair that someone tragically lost. You are amazing sweetersappe

20. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

Thank you so much, I don't think I have ever heard that before. You really made my day. :blush: