My funky kitchen! Seeking inspiration/advice.

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by Bassline514, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Hello!

I wanna have a funky and colorful kitchen at my new place. I chose a bright pink color for the walls and found this amazing fabric with a cupcake print on it that I'll use to make curtains. I also have a red and white swirl plate that I use as a centrepiece on the table. For now it looks good, but I feel something is missing, it's too "basic" if I can say that. Another problem I have is that the color of my appliances is a 70's style brown-yellow combo and it totally unmatches the rest of my decoration. Do you think I could paint them in white or something?

Your advices and ideas about how I could make my kitchen funkier are very welcome. Thanks! :)

2. joyfulsara

joyfulsara Member

everything in different colors! tie dyed placemats and napkins! shag rugs! hell, paint the chairs all different colors. paint your appliances too if you're feeling really brave

3. peacedaisy

peacedaisy Member

i think that you need some serious tye dye, curtains, napkins, groovy stuff to add some life and sunshine into your kitchen.. is it your own place, like do you own it? Than you can do whatever you want in your own place.. i love decorating places all groovy and cool! :) :)

4. peacedaisy

peacedaisy Member

and i totally love the idea of different colors... like greens, reds, yellows, blues... rainbow colors and tye dye :)

5. FeralLunar

FeralLunar Member

i took posterboard from the dollar store, drew on them, and covered my cabinets with them. It's taking me a while since each panel is a new style, but I like it so far. I also drew on the walls behind the oven and stuff. My fridge is covered in cool magnets, photos, those one word magnets you make sentences with. My kitchen curtain is on old skirt a friend had, opened and a scarf. DIY at it's finest.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

If you cannot use appliance paint for whatever reason, think about sheets of magnet material. You could decorate that, but seal it well so you can clean it.
    I like the sweetshop theme. A shag rug that complements pink would be good, and possibly picking up a color from the curtain print for dish towels.
    It is simple to make a backsplash from plywood, paint and polyurethane.
    I saw a few ideas on instructibles.com
    but any surf of the web can give you ideas..

7. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

A really cheap and easy way to snazz up a small part of any room... Is go to any store that has paint chips...,and get a bunch!!!!!

Then cut them up and either leave the name on or not.

Then layer them in like a collage sort of way and glue them to the surface you want to change. (you can buy a spray glue from a craft store, or any normal white glue will work for a flat surface)
    Then in a kitchen or bathroom spray over witha shelac spray it looks super sweet and its cheap.! You can even get mickey mouse head paint chips from home depot

8. Oake

Oake Member

Since you have a pink and cupcake theme the ugly brown appliances could be worked into the scheme (think chocolate frosting). How about using some craft paint and making some simple polka dots on the appliances (You could use a cut off carrot as a stamp) or if you are artistic, painting some cupcakes on them?

9. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Woah, you guys are genius! :eek: Thanks for the inspiration!

I found a red, white and pink-stripped rug and a couple of red and white porcelaine fake fruits to add to the centerpiece. I also painted the appliances in pink, but adding a stripe of brown and paint dancing cupcakes on it would be a cool idea. Ahah I even found pink napkins with a cupcake chick holding guns on them, they look totally badass. Next step: put some color on this white cabinetry. I hesitate in between red and white stripes or jus a stripe of red at the bottom with the same dancing cupcakes than on the appliances.

10. hippiechic27

hippiechic27 Banned

I'm not sure if you can paint appliances but I would try spray paint?