My dread(ful) experience.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Guest543, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Guest543

Guest543 Member

Alright, Today I was supposed to get my dreads. I met with the girl, she did them and whatnot, and I let her do her thaanng. Well, her thaanng wasn't quite dreadlocks..

To start off, she made a few sections with rubber bands, and put some Shea Butter in. She did it, and blah blah blah. I let her finish, assuming she knew what she was doing, but appearently, it wasn't quite what I thought it was. She barely did any backcombing, and she twisted a lot. When all was said and done, I had ULTRA messy, tangley sections of my hair, which looked nothing like dreads. She told me the dreads would take about 2 months to start.

So I just washed my hair out and stuff. What a waste of money. I could have sectioned my hair and rubbed a balloon on it with some lotion. GRR. I'm angry, and extremely disapointed.

I'm going home this weekend, and I asked my Mom to help me do my dreads with the backcombing method. She said she'd try, so I'm willing to go for it - she'll actually listen to my instructions.

I did some research on backcombing, and it seems simple enough. So I'll have her do that with NO WAX :)

Also, A few questions... I decided to go for fairly thick dreads.

-Any advice on how much hair each dread should contain?
    -Should I seperate my hair with rubber bands?
    -Should I just grab random sections and not have a part?

And any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I really like lucyinthesky's dreads. Now, I'm not trying to steal her/your (incase you read this :p) dreads exactly, but I like the thickness. About how thick do you think she/you had each dread while starting?

2. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

well, the way the lady who did mine did mine was she started in the back and did the back and then tackled(figure of speech) the sides. the sectioned off my head into 1 inch squares and backcombed. then twisted. they started really thin. after a few days. the twist wore off and they looked more like dreads and became thicker. about as big around as a nickle. and so far they've stayed that way. i'm pretty happy with them and tomarrow will be my week aniversary. they definatly still have growing up to do. but they're holding up. anyway, thats how i got mine done. she didn't use wax either. i was happy about that. so there's my so-called story.

3. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

aw aw aw [​IMG]

well, i have A LOT of hair....like really......a lot...that played a big part in why mine turned out fat....plus they natt up like crazy because i have naturally dry and curly hair....
    anywys, here is a pic from the night of....it's the worst picture of me that has ever existed, but i am only posting in hopes that it helps you in some way.......

best of luck

oh ps. that was totally bunk what happened to you with that girl. i would have refused to pay for it. I'm sure your mom will do a fine job of it. Maybe try talking to humblebee on here and ask her how it is she did her friends dreads (not backcombing but ripping and tearing and pulling) that's how my friend did it....and you and your mom definitely should know how to palm roll the proper way.....that'll make a world of difference.

4. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

by the way.....where are you from?

5. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

dude if thats the worst picture of you then he best one must be reeeeally awesome

6. Guest543

Guest543 Member

Yeah, I have really thick hair too, and a whoolllee lot of it. I just did a sort of test dread, and put it in an estimated square inch. It's tooo thin, I think I'm gonna go for 1.5-2 inches.

I would have refused, but I'm too nice. She was a really nice girl with a great personality. People like that are had to come by these days, so I said "Meh." and forked over the cash.

I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. How about yourself? Oh, and thanks for posting that oh-so-terrible pic.. I think it's given me a rough estimate of how much hair I want in each dread.. and I definitely agree... if that's a way bad pic, then I'd love to see your best. =P