my doc does not reside on this planet

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by RyvreWillow, Aug 16, 2005.

1. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

i don't know if it's because he's old or what, but my ob is completely clueless--he lacks common sense AND tact.

He still thinks i have gestational diabetes, and i'm still not convinced. He asked again if i had taken the 3-hour GTT (we went over this a month ago) and i said NO! He then said, "we'll schedule you for (insert name of another test, which i didn't know i had the option of) and if it's over 110, we'll put you on insulin" Then he went on to breifly describe the horrors i could encounter if i didn't, blah blah blah. Oh hell no, i don't care if my blood sugar is through the roof, unfortunately i'm one of those people who does a little research on things like this, and, for me, i believe the benefits wouldn't come close to the risks caused by exposing my baby to that. My husband said "i understand that's a possibility, but isn't it better controlled through diet?" Doc looked as though he'd been struck with an epiphany, and said that yes, that is the best way to do it, and there are some great drugs out there now that are helpful as well (he was obviously missing the point). Anyway, my husband spoke up and said i'd be totally willing to test my own blood at home (duh, that gives a much more accurate view of the situation than a one-time test that could be effected by any number of factors), and the doc seemed shocked and amazed that we'd not only be willing to do this, but that we suggested it (like he's never had a patient do that in the 500 years he's been practicing).

So, i got a prescription for a monitor and 200 test strips, but only 12 lancets. Any idea why they'd do that? i'm supposed to test twice a day (in the morning, and after dinner) so that means i should do it for 6 days, i suppose, but my next appointment is in two weeks. I don't know if i'm supposed to pick 6 random days, do six days in a row, or do it now or just before the next appointment. You;d think that would have been part of my instructions, lol, but it seemed so obvious i didn't ask (i had no idea the lancets wouldn't come with the test strips--or at least, one would think, there'd be a prescription for that too.)

Arrrgggghhhhh

I also got another appointment with a dietician (i cancelled the first one, because they told me my insurance probably wouldn't cover it, and my husband was jobless, so i decided to educate myself!). I'm not sure what s/he could tell me that i don't already know, or don't already do, but if it makes the doc ask just a few less questions, it's totally worth it, lol.

Oh yeah, and i AGAIN had to remind him that yes, i know i had big babies in the past, but i was also tested for diabetes then, and i didn't have it! He seems to think that babies can't be big genetically (after a quick glace at his bulletin board of satisfied customers, my husband noticed that there was not a single baby on there over 8 lbs. VERY interesting), and the fact that i don't fear having another one is nonsense.

2. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

Man, I'd ditch that OB and find a better one (or a MW). It is VERY interesting that none of his patients has had a babe over 8 lbs. I wonder if he calls out "GD!" in hopes that the mamas have a smoother L&D with a smaller babe <scrathing my head>. An outragous thought, yes, but OB's are not the smartest cats in the neighborhood LOL

Good luck mama, I'm glad your researching things on your own :)

3. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

GET A NEW DOCTOR!!!!!!!

then again it sounds to me that you are really taking things into your own hands and this is not a bad thing so maybe what you are doing is good for being able to keep him in check if there are not many other options where you live. I also think by the way that it is strange that he doesn't have many babies of a big weight but then I was thinking about that and you know they do caesers when the baby is getting big towards the end of the pregnancy and so I am figureing this would have skewed his samples!!!

Take care and let us know how it is going!
    :)

4. ploomp

ploomp Member

Im sure he knows what hes doing. Do what he says- you are a woman, after all.

5. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

what the hell does being a woman have to do with following the orders of an ancient and obviously inept male OBGYN?

First of all, She's the one having the baby. Her THIRD baby. She's done this before. Shouldn't she know her body better than this old dinosaur?

Second of all, as a woman, she should know better than a male how her body is working.

What the hell!?!?

/rant

6. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

tsk, you should know better than to feed a troll after midnight! Ayyy-yah!

7. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

you're right...:p

8. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

I smell a dumbass :D

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I hated that icky tasting stuff ya have to drink for that glucose test they give ya when you're pregnant. It was sickening, almost made me throw up.
    Diabetes runs in my family and the doc sent me home with a machine to test my blood sugar every day for a month but I was never given insulin.
    But yeah, continue to educate yourself!

10. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

Ugh, i'm more confused than ever. I found a new phone book today, and flipped through, in hopes that by some miricle there's a midwife listed in there now--guess what, there is, but the name on it is the one i was told retired last year...but it's in the new phone book, so i'm going to call tomorrow in hopes that at least it's still a birth center with another midwife, or doc, or something.

I also found something that made me really angry. There's a listing for a birth center, advertising "natural solutions for a natural birth" with, get this, my asshole doc's name and a number for another office! First off, i've been looking for a birth center for almost 7 months, second, why didn't i know he had another office, and third, WTF "natural???" Unless he treats the women at that office drastically differently, there is nothing "natural" about it--i doubt he could even say the word with a straight face! So yeah, i'm POed

As far as my GD drama, i'm more convinced than ever that i don't have it; i tested my blood today, and my fasting level is 84, two hours after dinner it was 110. i can't believe the amount of stress i've gone through for absolutely nothing! He is soooo going to get an earful from me! I'm tempted to keep going to him so i can bitch at him every time i'm in there.