My cousin Brad who is my best friend talks suicide all the time

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Jennifer19, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I keep trying to talk to him remember all the fun times we had together his parents do not understand any time he tells them he is not doing good mentally they get all pissed off and say I can’t deal with this shit he is having a lot of problems with his neck just in a lot of pain all the time he said in October the anniversary of his grandmothers death he is going to her grave and taking a bottle of pills I keep trying to talk to him I don’t know what to say I cannot talk to his parents about this because they just don’t get it I told him I said if you killed yourself I would be right behind you I could not go on anymore I said you are the only person in my family that I can talk to and I know you feel the same way about me I said think if I were not here what would you do he said that would push him over the edge

2. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

October 3 is his grandmas anniversary of her death he is still saying he’s going to go through with that so I said how can you do that to me he said I just will

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

You should tell someone who lives with him, or someone else he is close too.

4. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Every time he tells his parents he’s not doing good mentally They just holler and scream at him or else I would tell them I talk to my mom about this and she said to tell him not to call me anymore and if he really cares about me he won’t do this

5. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

What should I do? Helps please

6. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

He Keeps saying if I tell anyone He will never talk to me again

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Why is he telling you?

8. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Maybe get in touch with a suicide helpline as they probably know best and can offer solid advice.

9. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

He's telling her because he's actually asking for help. Bypass the parents and find him help from a "private" psychologist, DO NOT have him dumped into the public mental health system. Just my thoughts on this.

wilsjane likes this.
  10. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I just talk to his parents I told them what is going on I do not know what to do anymore

11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

He needs a good friend and it appears that he has someone who he can confide in. My impression is that his threat of suicide if the confidentiality is broken is based on him not wanting her to pass the responsibility on.
    While I have great sympathy for someone in his condition, he is playing a very selfish game. I just hope that he does not push her over the edge to the point that she feels that she has to abandon him for her own mental stability.
    This may sound harsh, but sometimes the truth is not exactly as it appears on the surface.
    I agree with you that the public mental health system is about as much use as a paper bag in a thunderstorm.

Jennifer19 and idahocowboy like this.
  12. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

He goes to Northpoint which is a mental health place he has told them he is suicidal and they really said nothing

13. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I used to go to that place but they had let many people go that really needed the help

14. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

He went there one night very suicidal and they told him we are closing go to the emergency room

15. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

He said he did not mean to scare the shit out of me and we don’t have to hang out anymore

16. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I am so upset right now I am just beside myself

17. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Jennifer, relax and take a deep breath hun. Sometimes we can only do, what we can do, nothing more. Again, a private Dr. would be his best bet. Can I ask your age ?? No I'm not a perv, well sometimes, but the reason I'm asking is I want to see how capable YOU are to talk with someone on his behalf.

Jennifer19 and wilsjane like this.
  18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Unfortunately, many people threaten suicide as a cry for help. It is not a simple matter and YOU need some professional help about the best way to support him,
    I have a niggling feeling that he has trapped you into a viscous circle and is starting to treat you as his personal doormat.
    By all means help and support him, but you are not responsible for his actions.

Asmodean, Jennifer19 and idahocowboy like this.
  19. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Damn well analyzed, and perfect suggestions for her. You are right, most who really want it to end, usually do it with little or no preamble.

Jennifer19 and wilsjane like this.
  20. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I am 35 I just didn’t know what to do anymore I know his parents don’t know what to do when it comes to his mental health and They get pissed off but I just didn’t know what to do This was getting very serious he just kept saying over and over that he was going to do this I kept trying to talk to him but I was not getting through to him I am not a professional person he needs more help than I can give him