My Cell Phone Has Lost Its Connection to the Internet.

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Jimbee68, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

My cell phone just lost its connection to the internet. The text and phone function still work. Just the internet is gone now.

Could that be because I went past my data limit? Or it is because of a generalized outage in my area (I live in NW Detroit, FYI)?

Tech-savvy members of The Hip Forums please help me. I just don't know what to do.

:) :) :fearscream:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Turn it off then on again

Orison likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

You phone can not update unless you turn it off. This is because most window applications are locked files and cant be changed while in the working (on) position.

4. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

FWIW, I got it back. Thanks for your help :) .

ZenKarma likes this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Purportedly, my phone plan simply stops letting you access the internet when you are over your data limit, as you suspected. Call in to your phone provider though just to be sure.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

why wouldnt it just be throttled//slowed down. that makes no sense they would just stop access all together.

7. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Yup, ATT will stop the Internet on my phone when it hits the limit I set in the 'settings.' Keeps me from getting any extra charges on my already expensive cell phone bill.

8. soulcompromise

Not sure. I think, though, that once it exceeds the monthly limit it's turned off. Of course you can still use WiFi, just not 3G (whatever it's called, lol).

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Would you like to sort my laptop computer out. Every time windows 10 updates, it installs generic drivers that are not stable with my wireless processor and the whole thing becomes unstable, so I need to restart every few hours. The first few times, I rolled the driver back, but the latest updates seem to clash with the original driver configuration. It is all a bit of a mess and updates take several hours, often telling me that changes were undone. The 10 OS is a free upgrade from windows 8 that they gave me when some of our CAD software would not work correctly on 8.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i can't use wifi, every time i connect my phone gets really hot and the battery drains completely in about an hour. i don't use the internet on there that much anyway; i have yet to reach my data limit and this has been going on for several months now.

the charger port is in the process of breaking too. i really just need to get a new phone.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

did your machine come with win10.?
    it may not be compatible with your processor.
    Have you tried other wifi connection apps?

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The processor should be OK, it is an Pentium I,5. The problem seems to be with the wireless adapter, which may be integral with the Asus motherboard. The machine was delivered with windows 8 and Microsoft offered me a free upgrade to 10 due to problems with our CAD software. The answer may be to install the latest OE drivers and hope that future upgrades do not corrupt them.
    A lot of our systems still require XP professional to run correctly. We retain this on our main system and email server.
    Many people do not realize the power (supporting up to 20 simultaneous modems) of XP,. It runs embedded on the 50 new London tube trains that were delivered last month at a cost of 7.5 million pounds EACH. It also runs the entire UK government network including emergency services and air traffic control as well as being embedded in the fly by wire systems that fly the A380 airbus. Embedded software is poorly understood by most people and few realize that much heavy engineering equipment delivered today runs its CNC drives on windows 98.
    With so much emphasis on gaming by Microsoft, their is a real possibility that industry will soon convert to Linux to run applications such as the stock exchange. As far as I am concerned with Microsoft and Apple. 'The bigger they are, the harder they fall'..!!!!!!

Orison likes this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lolz at those who brought a windows phone

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

Apps, Windows, Wigets. Whats the difference when they all do the same things..

16. Miranda2232

Miranda2232 Newbie

I had the same problem and it really may be because that you passed the limit of mobile data. You can look it in settings I think. If it isn't, try to write in those support. Maybe it will help. But why you still use provider which had this limit. I am student and really like watching films and series on my phone during lessons. And monthly I use more than 20Gb. It costs to much. But one day I found a very useful service where you can select your ideal provider and telephone. All of best providers of country are those partners. Also usave can return you cashback. Really dude, listen to me. But first of all write in custom support.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  17. Buy a new phone

18. soulcompromise

so...

My phone loses its connection to the towers. It won't dial out at a given time of day... I shouldn't say it that way because it's not specific to any particular time of day. But yeah, sometimes it loses its signal for eons at a time... I have to restart it to get it back on the grid! :)

19. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Omg two years ago,???

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You could try putting it in a condom and sticking it up your butt.