My bare feet got commented about at skydiving today!

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by peacefuljeffrey, Jan 17, 2005.

1. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Well, I've been a barefoot skydiver since August 2003, and since that time I've done 139 consecutive barefoot skydives -- NEVER wearing any footwear. I love it. (I'm also not the only skydiver I know who does it barefoot.)

Today, there were a lot of jumpers who are not regulars at our dropzone. A few of them came down from a related DZ up in New Jersey. As we were walking out to load onto the plane at one point, one of these guys asked me, in a polite, friendly way, how it was skydiving barefoot. He seemed curious, and now looking back I wonder if he was maybe a closet barefooter who was trying to understand how one could do it, and if he maybe had what it takes. (The funny thing is, all it takes is a little bit of tolerance for cold temperatures. Landing a modern parachute is NOT a forceful thing, by any means... that is, unless you utterly screw it up, and by that point, being barefoot is an insignificant issue.)

So I told him and some others who were around and curious, that I have been doing it that way a while, and that it's really just an extension of the fact that I go barefoot just about all the time in the first place. We went on and had a happy jump.

Then later, that same guy asked me how my landings were! I told him they were just fine and comfy, gentle as can be (which was true). :) It was funny to be so noticed for it, and fun to discuss it with someone who was interested a bit. I was the only person at the DZ not bundled up for "cold weather" this weekend. It's been chilly... for Florida... but for me, a transplanted NYer, it's nothing. I was wearing jeans shorts and a sweatshirt all day. One guy who grew up in Rhode Island was actually wearing jeans, shirt, sweatshirt, and longjohns!! :D LOL!

By now I guess plenty of people know me as the guy they NEVER see wearing shoes. :D

-Jeffrey

2. arlia

arlia Members

heheheeh!
    keep barefooting,im lucky enough t have found this church who dont mind me being barefoot wen i sing in theyre band,alot of people in the past have frowned upon it or not let me in becasue of it

3. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I'm sorry you've run into problems with church people about being barefoot.

See me, I'm less forgiving of people who are intolerant. And that's a large part of why I would never/will never belong to a church. That very intolerance they treated you with is why I don't believe anyone is really "godly" and why I see all religion as hypocrisy. How can they claim to be forgiving and loving in the image of Christ and stuff like that, when they judge you by your attire?! That's incongruous with the supposed message of it all. But then again, Christianity is apparently the second-least tolerant religion, after Islam. Look at how many things you can do or be that will get you kicked out of the supposedly forgiving, loving Christian religion!

I say, who needs it?

-Jeffrey

4. arlia

arlia Members

i dont agree with religion,religion is a restraignement!
    god never intended it to be like that!
    reject religion embrace jesus

5. Astaroth

Astaroth Banned

Imposing rules on attire has nothing to do with the religion though.

It is for the purpose of creating an atmosphere and a sense of commonality and unity.

After all, you wouldn't want me showing up at your weed-smoking festivals wearing my uniform. Even if I just tried to mingle and you'd find me an otherwise agreeable chap (which you probably wouldn't), it would still kind of disrupt the atmosphere, now wouldn't it?

6. arlia

arlia Members

what uniform!
    bare feet is not a uniform,its natural,why should people feel uncomfortabel around it

7. Astaroth

Astaroth Banned

Read again please:

I am a cop, I wear a uniform to work, and I think that you would find it odd if I turned up at a hippy festival wearing my uniform and tried to mingle.

Ergo, if you show up at the church where everyone is used to dressing nicely (including shoes) in bare feet, you would look very much out of place and I could see why people would frown upon it.

8. arlia

arlia Members

my church dont dress up!
    we come as we are!

and yeah i understand about the cop thing

9. Astaroth

Astaroth Banned

Fair enough, I seem to have misread your earlier statement.

You probably meant that other churches would not allow you in but this one (being Portsmouth Family Church I suppose) does not mind.

My bad.

And in any case my original response was mostly directed at peacefuljeffrey.

10. arlia

arlia Members

yeah that is what i meant,no worries!