Music

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by indescribability, Jan 17, 2005.

1. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

Why is it that even some of the most open minded people are still closed minded about music? What is it that people cannot understand when it comes to the fact that one persons personal distaste for the music does not make it "crappy" or "sucky". Why can't people sit back, shut the fuck up, and realize that them disagreeing does not give the definitive answer on the quality of something else

2. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

i know i am sometimes guilty of this...:confused: but am constantly trying not to be! i'm not as bad as some people, however - we were only having this debate yesterday about a certain genre of music...:p i like to think i'm pretty open minded, being able to listen to (and enjoying) Miles Davis/Billie Holiday to Bach and Mussorgsky and then Pink Floyd and extreme metal with everything in between...
    really it's only the MOR stuff that gets me started...:eek:

3. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

I like Classic Rock Jazz Progressive and Bluegrass

4. indescribability

MOR stuff is that like EMO or something :rolleyes:

5. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

MOR - middle of the road, not so much emo, more like Snow Patrol, Keane, Travis etc...
    music to drive to...

6. OSF

OSF Señor ******

It gets me every time. I find myself confused and bewildered. I constantly hear people questioning the justification (or lack thereof) of others who will offer a definitive opinion on something (baseless or not) with the exact same justification, or, indeed, lack thereof.

You argue that people ought not make distinction of “crappy or sucky” music based on personal taste through an argument comprised solely of your personal opinion on how one ought discern good or bad music!

You have not offered anything more than that you think what they have done is wrong. There is no reason why it is wrong. There is no reason why your way is a more valuable way of seeing it.

Do you not see that they use the exact same justification that you use in chastising them?

Of course you might argue that you deserve the benefit of the doubt. Why ought I not give them the benefit of the doubt just as I have you? Why do you not give them the benefit of the doubt as you would ask me to give you?

In simpler terms, why must you, the open minded music lover, be so closed minded about life?

You must offer something substantial to prove to me that what they are doing is wrong and what you are doing is right or you must accept that they do is as valid as what you are doing (or perhaps more fittingly, that neither holds any worth).

Unfortunately you have done neither.

You can see how this would bewilder someone.

7. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Let's put on some Jewel and dance.

8. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

The answer to your question is: Because most of the time, it does suck, really bad

9. miami musician

miami musician Senior Member

because there are people that go to school, study music, then make money off of being "experts" in the field. what is an expert you ask? someone who probably knows much more about music than the average music listener. i'd much rather listen to someone who's paid money to learn about music critique music than some average person (who usually doesn't know anything about music) tell me what's good or bad...

i know this because this is my problem sometimes.

10. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

I try to keep myself from too harsh generalisations and pretending my opinions are facts.

Except when dealing with Slipknot, of course.

11. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I HATE people who say things like that. I really don't care if you don't like what I listen to, but calling me a loser or "not heady enough" because I have a different opinion sucks. I don't debate music because people aren't chill enough to say that's cool whatever. people get all defensive and shit. It's annoying. To all you people that do that: it doesn't make you any cooler!!

people really should learn to sit back and shut up

12. miami musician

for some of us, it's not about being "cool" or "not cool"... we actually care about the music. and for the people that can have intelligent debates about music i applaud you. people should do this more often. there is nothing wrong. and i'm sorry, i will not shut up because this is what i live for. this is what i'll eventually be getting paid for. it's gonna be my job, just like so many others out there, to tell people what's good and what's not. that's why music critics and people in the marketing field get paid, for sharing their opinions.

my $0.02...

13. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

snoop dog is a fag.

14. indescribability

perhaps you read too much into this, or perhaps it is not enough as headymoechick stated people often throw person insults in with it "you listen to that? thats stupid" etc do you not agree that this is wrong to insult somebody or their intelligence over something that is a matter of opinion is it necessary for one to state their opinion all the time when they disagree? especially if it comes at the cost of degrading another human being and the things they enjoy in their life also i did not insult the people that do those things, whereas they do insult by pissing on somebodys taste i simply expressed a dislike for the behavior without calling names or degrading they do not follow the same path of logic as to call ones opinion stupid is to call that person in a way stupid as well

and miami musician i mean no offense but the fact that you know all the 'textbook material' about music makes you no more capable of telling another person what 'sounds good' simply gives you the ability to tell what music is logically correct in its sound ive read plenty of good reviews on things i find to be awful and vice versa it is all still a matter of opinion

15. miami musician

no offense taken, i just get really into discussions like these... :p

16. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

actual debates are fun. When people talk about what makes music "good" and use real agruemnts like instruments, how the music is put together and all that is great. But most people can't argue without attcking the other person or using some arguement that is just an opinion.