Music

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by feministhippy, Aug 23, 2005.

1. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

What kind of music do your kids like? Do you like the same music as your kids?

My parents raised me listening to a lot of 70s punk and alternitive rock. I like a lot of the music they do, I tend to like most of my mom's music and some of my dad's, but I also like blues and jazz and celtic music.

2. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

My oldest is 11 and she has recently been seduced by the dark side, by which I mean she is listening to craptastic pop on radio Disney!! We think it's probably a phase. My ittle guy loves all music,especially jam band stuff and also he has a big thing for jazz,and swing.

3. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

My toddler and preschooler love Raffi, Tom Chapin and the Brian Waite Band (as do I :) )

4. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I heart Raffi! haha

5. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Growing up, my mom had lots of classic rock vinyls. I remember as a kid getting out my mom's Untitled Led Zeppelin vinyl and listening to it over and over and over and over. I, still, to this day, know every word to every song on that album. I also remember listening to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen on vinyl *giggles*.

6. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I grew up listening to Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Nirvana and all the other grungy bands, U2, Cranberries, Little Feat, Led Zepplin.. you get the drift. It just sort of backfired because while I still love Neil Young, Frank Zappa, and the Cranberries, I can't stand the Dead (my parents were Deadheads) and I listen to showtunes, Latin pop, and bagpipe music. :p

When I was 4 I was sleepwalking and my parents didn't want to wake me up and put me in shock, so they had to watch as I peed all over their huge record collection. It's tres sad :(

Raffi= amazing. Ever heard of Fred Penner? He had a tv show in the late 80s where he lived in a tree and sang, so whenever I went hiking with my parents when I was little, I would look for him.

7. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Lol, that's about the age I was listening to pop music, too. I was a biiiig Hanson fan. Oh man, I had posters all over my room, I bought three CDs and a live album, and I just knew Taylor Hanson and I were going to get married and have a bunch of blonde singing children.

Yeah, I got over it by the time I was 13.

8. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

LOL I did that with the spice girls, oh the shame!

The worst thing is my brother likes some of their songs. So he plays them and I have to relive it again.

Anyway...

My Dad introduced me to loads of great classic stuff; Beatles, Queen, Fleetwood mac, Sinatra etc. Which set me up for life. I remember knowing all the words to 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds', and 'blowin' in the wind', but having no idea what they meant (still love them and can feel the childlike joy).
    I often suprise him by downloading songs, then he hears them and says 'I've got that on LP' (or worse, sings along)

He also tries to understand and get into modern stuff. Usually with limited success, but still. It's a really eclectic mix.

My mum, her taste is OK. Lots of 'mum music' (mainstream opera, boybands, 60s and 80's pop etc). Nothing particually terrible but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it.

My brother has embarrasing taste in music, mostly naff pop songs. Though Dad and I are trying to reducate him. He often has a sneaky listen to my music, so there's hope we can at least agree.

As for me.. it's all over the place. Mostly the good stuff Dad introduced me to. Plenty of modern stuff too, mostly that my parents either have never really heard of and can't understand the appeal.
    I also have a huge inexplicable thing for country, no idea where that came from. Not gonna fight it, because meh can't see the problem. :)

9. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

My kids are like me into Motorhead, Industrial and Goth

which makes for some interesting scenes when my angelic looking 3.75 yr old son decides to start singing "SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE!" in the middle of the veg. in the supermarket.

10. JanaXGIRL

JanaXGIRL Senior Member

well, actually, I don't know where I got that love for rock and punk, coz my mum has always listened to pop, you know, and czech pop, and that I don't talk about my father.. he knows maximally Beatles.. and that when I went on Paul's concert, he asked me: "who's Paul McCartney?" :D I was like: "Eh, you must be kidding, right?" So I really don't know where I found that love for rock and punk, and reggae.. yeah :)

11. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

My parents listened to old country...anything on the "Hee Haw" show. Their faves were Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Hank Snow, Hank Williams SR,Dolly Parton,Tammy Wynette,George Jones,& Brenda Lee.
    It was a miracle that I got to watch American Bandstand every weekend.

I have 7 kids with different music tastes, so I now get to listen to almost anything from new country (my youngest daughter seems to think lately that the TV only gets the CMT station), to Rock, heavy metal, classical, Easy Listening, & with a little jazz, rap, or blues thrown in sometimes. So guess I could say this house has everything except opera in it.
    Yrs ago I had to keep a 4 tapes in the glove box so whenever the kids rode around in the car they could always pop in "Credence Clearwater Revival", Hank Williams JR", Beatles, & a mixed tape my son had. They would play thoses 4 tapes over & over.

12. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

my daughter has apparently somehow developed an affinity for classic country. the quieter, gentler musics really appeal to her. she doesn't like a lot of noise.

13. innerchild18

innerchild18 Member

Growing up I mostly listened to what my mom was listening to which was: CCR, John Mellencamp, Grateful Dead, Meatloaf, and Pat Benetar. My dad got me into Lynyrd Skynyrd, Motorhead, Foghat, Metallica, and some country.

In high school I rebelled, listening to garage punk bands and going to local shows. My dad got into some of the music, but for the most part my parents let me be.

Now I have a very eclectic taste toward music. I listen to classic rock, metal, punk, reggea, country, southern rock, bagpipes, and celtic folk music. :p