Music videos

Discussion in 'Music' started by PAX-MAN, Oct 19, 2010.

1. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

Last nite I saw Tom Green on TV. He made a very interesting comment. He believes that one of the reasons why there is alot of shitty artists [music] is because of the advent of music videos. It seems that if you don't have a good video , no matter how good the music is, it won't get much air time. I know that most of the people reading this have grown up with nothing but music videos. Back in my teens, videos were not even imagined. You only became popular because your music was good. Back in '66, I saw The Doors perform live at the London Fog on Sunset Strip. Talk about a lead singer being camera shy- you only saw his face maybe 5 or 6 times during the performance, most of the time his back was to the audience. Now- do you think that nowadays a group like this would be able to be this popular ? Jim Morison was so notorious for not being the centre of attention that he passed out on stage once in West Germany and someone else in the band did the rest of the singing. Everyone thought he was just lying on the stage and singing. In this day and age, something like this would be unheard of. Definitely no crowd appeal there.

PAX

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I think the real problem is that if you have a good video, it doesn't matter how shitty the music is.

3. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

i agree, if a performer had his back turned or looked a bit unfortunate on the face, they don't do as well. i think that is because younger generations are becoming more and more visually orientated, probably because of media changes like music videos. but i dont agree that shitty music happens because of music videos, or that music videos lead to shitty music, and i don't agree with Duck's statement.

the music is the thing that qualifies an artist to enter into that 'popular' sector, and then music videos are then made that preach to the choir. and people usually watch music videos because they like the artist, not the other way around.

as for controversial music videos, something like lady gaga, i know tons of people that have seen the videos, but hated the songs. music videos, aren't about the music industry. music videos are a video-making art style that incorporates an artist and accents in the music, that accentuate the band itself.

4. Duck

Bullshit.
    Ok Go is a prime and clear example of a band who made it because of their music videos.

I would argue that so is Lady Gaga.
    Music videos aren't about the industry in even the tiniest sense, but that doesn't mean they can't corrupt it or influence.
    Especially with how brainwashingly chanty modern music is. A music video gets the exposure and sheeple are hooked.

5. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

OK Go is a good example, but with them, their two music videos were popular, not their music really. maybe that one song was a one-hit wonder but that's it.

and do argue the lady gaga thing. Just Dance and Pokerface was clearly on the radio far before the videos. by the time those were popular, the clique now called the 'little monsters' already formed. now that she is a household name, it's not like a new music video will 'convert' people to listen to her music.

of course music videos don't have an industry of its own, and of course they influence, but the influence most of the time divides the mass into liking or not liking the artist. when someone will like a rapper simply because there are hot chicks and blingy guys in the video, imo, it's the music industry to blame, not the music video.

6. Duck

Nah, they've had two now, and they both had cool videos.
    Definitely hit MTV first.

The rest didn't really argue with me...

7. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

two videos, but i havent heard the second song on the radio or anything, only Here It Goes.

i beg to differ. her two songs just dance and pokerface were recognized much earlier than the just dance video. mtv never finds new artists to bring to the front, they pick the popular. u should know that.

and i was trying to say that music and music videos are different from one another and don't affect eachother much at all, except for the preaching to the choir that happens when a person already likes the artist, which doesn't even change things. that's all i'm sayin

8. Duck

Nah, it got 36 on the US Alt charts.
    As far as Just Dance, released April 18th, "The song entered the Billboard Hot 100 chart at seventy-six on August 16, 2008. It rose to number two on the Hot 100, after selling 419,000 in downloads on January 10, 2009."
    (quote: wiki) I've been trying to figure out when MTV started playing it, to no avail.
    I think that music videos have an increasing effect on music every year, but that other areas of TV have even more influence.

9. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

oh

i was searching too but can't find anything but stupid telephone music video premiere articles :mad:

and i agree.

10. Duck

'retweets' and Facebook have made Internet searching impossible.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Tool has never shown their faces in a single music video, has two #1 albums, been together over 15 years and plays in the shadows live with the lead singer in the back of of the stage. So you and/or Tom Green are wrong Pax but yes it is rare and music videos definitely made the visual aspect more important.

12. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

After reading all the posts last nite, I realized that my knowledge of the music of today is very limited so to carry on an intelligent conversation about music videos and the way that they influence a group's popularity would be a very unintelligent attempt to try and make my point. So we'll just leave this debate for a later time. Thank you for your input.

PAX