Music scenes in Seattle (Indie etc.)

Discussion in 'Washington (State)' started by cloverleaf, Jun 1, 2006.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Member

Hey, I heard that it's mainly indie pop that's dominating the indie scene in Seattle, is this true? You know, the 'lame' Death Cab kind of stuff... Is there anyone who can fill me in on this?

2. Barefootsun

Barefootsun Member

sorry

but on a diferent note your in norway !!! i think,right ?

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Member

uh, yeah I live in norway, but I'm planning on moving there soon so I'm just wondering what the music scene there is like atm.

4. Barefootsun

Barefootsun Member

oh, then its cool there is a little for everyone im shere what ever your looking for you will find

Peace
    Barefoot

5. Acid Cherry

Acid Cherry Banned

My friend and I were talking about how Seattle or just plain Washington, has produced many great musicians and bands. Im sure there will be quite a few more bands from Washington that are worth listening to.

6. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Seattle has a great music scene in general. And today's fad doesn't necessarily reflect tomorrow's up and comers. Back in the day, Seattle was a big stop for Jazz and Blues artists. While Ray Charles isn't from here, he did come here at the start of his career for a spell where he met Quincy Jones, who happens to be from here. Some of the surf greats like the Ventures (Tequila, Walk Don't Run, and the theme from Hawaii Five-0), or the classic Kingsman (Louie Louie), or even your classic rock from Jimi Hendrix or Heart. One of the larger names in Rap still resides here, Sir Mix-a-Lot. And then there was that embarrassing Grunge thing we had going here, with the likes of Green River, Mother Love Bone (who later became Pearl Jam), Soundgarden, or Mudhoney. And who can forget Nirvana? Or Presidents of the USA? Or Modest Mouse? Seattle's got a bit of everything for the music lover. Ya might even want to check out our Bumbershoot festival or even a visit to the Experience Music Project.

And I don't care if he's from Seattle or not, I do NOT recognize Kenny G as a good musician.

7. broony

broony Banned

8. NatureBoy93

NatureBoy93 Member

seatle is overrated. its great, some nice stuff there. alot of people use a rovolving resturaunt to depict it. but its overated. all we got is pike place market, museums, hobos, street musicians everywhere, guys falling onto the space needle elevator, puget sound, whiny ass teenage girls, imploding stadiums, beautifull wildlife which we decied to do even more damage to by going there (as much as you like going to these places, the most thriving environment are the ones humans NEVER go, the environment in chernobyl is making an astounding comback.) skyscrapers, http://www.cctextra.com/blogs/homework/idol1.jpg, indian reservations, boom city (used to live about 3-5 minutes from it), a volcanoe blown in half, tiny little earth quakes, hendrix, grunge, adam west, its not the greatest citty outthere.

9. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Wow! What a way to spoil the mood, dude. Most of those problems you listed apply to ALL cities, so does that mean that everywhere is overrated? Besides, this thread is about the music scene here, so if you don't have anything to add to that topic, then why bother posting?

And what's wrong with street musicians? Some of the music I've enjoyed the most come from the locals who hit the streets with their instruments and share their song with us, whether it be that piano dude at the market or the acapella group a few blocks down. It's all part of what makes Seattle such a musical city.

10. NatureBoy93

NatureBoy93 Member

Yes. Cities are overrated.

11. NatureBoy93

NatureBoy93 Member

edit button wont work. sorry to spoil the mood. wasnt in the best of moods... and I LIKE street musicians and pike place. and boom city is pretty sweet.

12. NatureBoy93

NatureBoy93 Member

And i like Seattle and cities. With all the people they house, how can I not?