Music Producer

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by jimi420, Jul 2, 2006.

1. jimi420

jimi420 Member

I want to produce music.

I play guitar, im not that great but good enough to get licks down and stuff. I might want to be in a band. But i know i should be a producer. Every time i listen to a song i always think of tiny ways to make it better and ive put them into action and they've worked. I can also make up cool little licks and stuff. I just know im meant to be a producer.

i know that was a hell of a lot of babbling but im baked as ish. so basically im just wondering how do you get started? do you need to go to a legit school? Do you even need to go to school? help please, thank you.

2. stalk

stalk Banned

just be the best producer ever.

3. omgimmatt

omgimmatt Visitor

i suggest you take classes at your local community college on music theory, music producing, all the music classes you can take. producing music doesn't require any education at all, you need to be really good with computers and editing and all the music equipment shit. its probably better if you go to college for it so yea

4. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

dude do you have any idea how hard it is to make it anything above setting equipment up in the music industry? i've been tryna get into it from a really young age, i've been in numerous punk/metal bands playing everything from guitar to bass, DRUMS and keyboard, i've done lighting for theater plays and sound engineering. i dare say everything will be different between the UK <----> USA in terms of a career path in music, but music producing really is something that has to come naturally. You can train to do it, but, as with playing musical instruments, it's a talent which really is put to it's best when it's inate.
    You need to learn all theory work then prove yourself in practical work. Keep listening to music but coming up with flowing, creative and productive ideas as to how the track would sound better if things were added (or taken away). Analysing the composition of a piece of music is something you will have to do a fucking hell of a lot of if you take a subject like this for a college course - trust me mate it gets REAL boring real fast but it's the skill you learn at the end of the day.

A career in music looks frustrating as fuck and you can't be smoking loadsa dope through it as you need all areas of your brain coz there's so much to remember. Jeeez, that's probably why I no longer pursue my career path and settled for a trade!

5. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I think I replied to this in the performing arts thread but just produce lots of bands.

Start small, do it on community equipment, like at a college or something and then once you get good, start charging.

My producer's first charged job was £100 for 3 tracks.

Just build up a production CV and get your name out on the band scene as a producer. Once you can make top quality stuff you'll stop having to look for work.

Build up an arsonal of gear and software so you don't have to rely on college kit as well. Remember that you can't live off it until you're REALLY in demand and can seriously start charging.

Also learn as much as you can about music law. Remember that by being a producer you are effectively setting up your own business which will effectively be a record company (you facilitate the recordings then sell the rights to the bands or if you're being employed by a record label, to the label).

Good luck
    Sebbi

6. BodyElectric

BodyElectric Member

Take any and all music education you can get.

I've a friend that's got essentially two degrees for production and is just trying to crack in at ground floor now. One's a Bach of Music and the other was Music Industry Arts college program run by Jack Richardson.

7. theshaman

theshaman Member

I'm a Music Tech major at Central Missouri State University. We've got two quality recording studios, and I think we use Pro Tools. You have to, of course, take the basic music courses that all music majors take, which I'm doing now, like theory, piano proficiency, aural training, fundamentals of music, and a primary instrument. I don't know if I'll go into radio or be a producer, but with a bachelor's degree, it'll help that much more. What I'd really like to do, and plan on doing, is doing the sound for The Schwag. But that's in due time.