Music and Politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wiseman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

This is Frank Zappa on the show Crossfire back in 1986. Basically, he's defending the issue of music and censorship.

It's definitely worth watching, Zappa proves some very good points, and at one point had me laughing out loud (about 7 or 8 minutes in when he's just making John Lofton look like a complete fool :D).

"The biggest threat towards America today is not communism, it's moving America towards a fascist theocracy, and everything that happened during the Reagan Administration is steering us right down that pipe"
    -Frank Zappa

After saying that, Zappa is then called out as an "Anarchist".

So what do you think? I know that this forum is namely liberal, so I kinda know what to expect response-wise, but does anyone disagree with the opinion that censoring music is wrong?

2. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Member

I'm with Frank here, though he calls himself a conservative, in the light of libertarianism and 'hands off' sort of government. This issue goes further back than the eighties, you cannot legislate morality in that the majority of issues of this type of morality are entirely relative... there are basic tenants of morality that should be legislated, like killing, stealing, slavery and such, but when it comes to words, their use, and expressing ideas, our government has no business attempting to tackle such issues... unfortunately Frank is right, our nation has moved in the direction of a fascist theocracy since the Reagan years and it's sad...

3. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Listen to the debate carefully. This is not about censoring Music, it is about censoring words. And no, words should never be censored. Or music.

Frank rules this vid. :cool:

Oh, btw, Fuck Tipper Gore.

4. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. You know what I meant.

5. Hiptastic

Hiptastic Unhedged

Yet we never got there.

6. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

We're headed there though, which is kinda the point he was trying to make.

And you could definitely argue that our government displays fascist characteristics.

7. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Yet.

There is always more time, brother.