moving to FL havent picked a town any sugg.?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by bluekitty, Jun 1, 2005.

1. bluekitty

bluekitty Member

Im sick of cold winters so I'm moving to somewere in FL,( also my boyfriend will be starting a trucking job out there.) But we haven't really decided on where ....... we have only been to pensecola, and orlando. were looking for a layed back neighborhood+ safe cause we have a 11 month old baby. but i dont want to live in a really commericalized or heavily visited tourist area. but not to far from fun and the beach for the days we can get a babysitter. so if you have any ideas based on that it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS [​IMG] p.s. also looking to make new friends out there , we dont know a single person+ its a long way from home for us ,but its also a bright new time in our life......... [​IMG] thanks for stopping by to read my message [​IMG]

2. metalmike

metalmike Member

I could really recommend Panama City, FL. There are some nice neighborhoods around. I have lived here all my life and I really like it here. You wouldn't be disappointed. Check out some of the local websites, you'll see what I mean.

3. DrRobert

DrRobert Member

i grew up in south florida, aorund ft. lauderdale, but outside the main city. its beautiful and a great place to raise a family

4. groovygirl

groovygirl Member

tampa bay is warm all year round

5. bluefairy

bluefairy Member

i live in jacksonville beach and its pretty nice. theres a lot of surfers who travel the world and skateboarders. plus jacksonville has a lot of parts to it. 5points and riverside and downtown, the beaches...theres rednecks in certain areas though, but they're easily avoidable. plus its sunny and warm all the time. the surf is good for beginners...and its cheap enough to save money to travel.

6. bluefairy

bluefairy Member

st. augastine's near by also...theres a drum circle there every thursday. the town is rockin too...lots of hippies. i havent ventured to meet any of them on a one to one basis in st. augie, but they seem incredibly hip. theres bead stores and stuff too...u could always chill with me and my friends if you want. most of my buds are surfers. pretty cool to be around.

7. ConcealedCulture

ConcealedCulture Senior Member

Hey Desiree, we should get high together soon. I'm moving in 1 week. Are you still out of town?

8. bluefairy

bluefairy Member

no im in chicago until the 22nd. you better visit me while this year! ill be lonely with no more hippies in jacksonville. ill get some cryp for you when you visit...tempation! :H

9. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

pensacola has a small but nice hippie / punk community.
    i like it better here than in south florida (no offence!!); so far, pensacola is still pretty quiet/not TOO much traffic. still bicycle friendly.

peace

10. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

You might want to consider the SW coast, from naples to fort myers to port charlotte/punta gorda to sarasota.

a nice place to raise kids and enjoy the gulf.

11. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Stay the hell away from Miami/FtL Too many damn people. I've always been a fan of Cocoa Beach

12. rogerelliott

rogerelliott Member

Bluekitty: I live in Lakeland 25 miles inland from Tampa. There are many excellent communiyies in and around here. We are far enough inland to be free from hurrican damages. The house we bought was built in 1924 and still stands. It's 20 min from disney and 45 min from the beaches. I work at a huge RV dealer in Seffner 25 miles from home. They hire alot of people of all types of work. Hope to see you on the beach. Do not forget the sun blck!!!!!!!!

13. HatEd

HatEd Member

I would avoid Daytona Beach. I moved here and it was not what I expected.

14. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

15. alpha ralpha

alpha ralpha Member

Youll have to let us know where you decided on. I live south of Tampa (lots of building) but if I was to go somewhere else I'd go to Pasco County; it's close to Tampa and Pinellas but woodsier and much more affordable. Just watch out for sinkholes.

16. nutznfl

nutznfl Member

17. WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic Member

I love St. Augustine. It's a really cool place. I'd really like to go there agian sometime. I personally love St. Simons Island in Georgia. But I'm a little biased since I live there. It's an hour from Jacksonville and an hour from Sacannah so you're close to two pretty unique cities. It's a nice place to live. It's pretty quiet here.

18. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Palatka. It's the potato capitol of FL, but has pretty fairly gone bust. So you can buy farms and old houses cheaply. And it's 30 minutes from Jax, 90 minutes from Orlando, 30 minutes to the heart of the Ocala Nationa Forest, 35 minutes from the beach. Lots of trucking there too.

It's where I want to retire to some day.

19. alpha ralpha

alpha ralpha Member

Hey, some of these suggestions are not so good. Lots of crime and not anyplace to raise a child unless you had to move here for work
    Even Pasco has become very bad, I withdraw my suggestion for it.
    Of all the suggestions, St Augustine is the best but it's going to be very pricey.
    But the weather is great, that's why people come here.

Palatka? that takes the cake!

20. Oreocookiemadness

Oreocookiemadness Member

Palatka? that takes the cake![/QUOTE]

I agree. I lived in Hastings for 6 months in that godawful Flagler Estates area that backed up to cabbage fields, and found the area to have a high crime rate. If you're planning on living out in the middle of BFE on a farm somewhere, make sure you have a couple of very large, noisy dogs to alert you if anyone comes onto your property.

I moved back to upstate NY after my stay in Hastings, and plan on returning to the Ocala National Forest area in 2012. Taxes here are too high, and I'm OVER the 6 months of winter we get bombarded with.