moving out in august

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by dominomusic, Apr 29, 2010.

1. dominomusic

dominomusic Member

we r going to need all the living room furniture and stuff and i was wondering if anyone had some ideas about how to decorate for cheap atm i am drawing pictures that are 12'by12' and matting them with black paper and probably going to make a whole walls worth of them but any ideas for the rest of our apartment?

2. FeralLunar

FeralLunar Member

well, right now, I have a futon mattress on the floor covered with pillows, no couch, and a coffee table.
    Cheap?
    Dumpster dive is the cheapest. The old brick and board method is pretty cheap since you can find those things for free. Old drawers from dressers hung on the wall make decent shelves.
    Cheap records painted are cool. i have a whole wall of them.

3. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

go to college towns around the end of the semester, A LOT of kids are getting rid of their stuff that they cant or dont want to move with. Thats how I got a beautiful coffee table, a pull out couch, and a entertainment center all for the cost of moving it my self

4. dominomusic

dominomusic Member

do they just leave the college furniture out/

5. goodvibes83

goodvibes83 Senior Member

go to craigslist...there is a free section...check it daily, sometimes there are good finds on there

6. FeralLunar

FeralLunar Member

Some do. Here in Newark, the University of Delaware, used to just leave out large dumpsters in various places, but then they decided to donate to "Charity" by having the kids drop off stuff at this one huge location, resell the items and donate some cash to some charities, but take most for "costs associated with selling the items".
    but, last year there was still a good amount of furniture and supplies left by dumpsters, so it was still not a bad haul.

also.. Goodwill, at least here, will automatically dump excess furniture, especially ones they feel are not in tiptop selling shape. Usually the stuff the dump can be easily fixed, or are maybe slightly discolored. People who donate after closing hours, usually don't feel like bringing it back home, so they dump it anyways and Goodwill usually tosses those donations as well.

Find out if your town has a day during the week/month when they pick up larger trash items. You can find good stuff there too.

7. dominomusic

dominomusic Member

cool il defiantly try these ideas out ty guys

8. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

well i know in res they donate the furniture, but if you go to the apartment buildings around the college, when people move out they leave their stuff by the dumpster, because thats what my friend did when she moved out, she offered her stuff to all her friends then what ever was left she just left by the dumpster, and like 30 mins later it was half gone.