Movies People Don't Expect You To Like

Discussion in 'Movies' started by neoprene_queen, Sep 7, 2017.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I like the Original Star Wars trilogy, Empire Strikes Back would rank pretty high on my favorite sci-fi/fantasy movies list. A New Hope was very good, the highlights of Return of the Jedi are as good as anything in the trilogy but I think it's lows are lower than anything in the trilogy.

2. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Not a movie, but a series. Not sure why, but friends, even my husband, are surprised how much I adore Game of Thrones. It's my fave series. :)

Noserider likes this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Steven Seagal movies.

4. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yes, you do, you both should read it (them) BUT also I wouldn't even class it as science fiction in my mind because there isn't enough focus on science.. It probably does count, but not in my mind, and so to call it the greatest science fiction book ever written is one of the biggest overstatements I've heard for a while. I'd call it comedy speculative fiction : )

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I deferred to the infallible Wikipedia, it counts.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Well I thought it might.

7. Con Air

What a movie

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I just called the library a couple towns over and they are putting it on hold for me. I'll go get it later this afternoon.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Okay! Now that is forward thinking moving ACTION-TAKING LIVING!

guerillabedlam and Meliai like this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

:grinning::tearsofjoy:

Irminsul likes this.
  11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Jackie Brown. Movie is solid af

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think more people are surprised with the movies I don't like, which is literally almost every suggested movie bar a few. Like dude, I love alien, Terminator and predator and Braveheart and no, I didn't like the x-men.

13. Hitchhiker's Guide was an awesome movie, but jerks didn't like it, so no sequel unfortunately. I guess they didn't use enough stupid CGI.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

They didn't like it?
    Shiat, I haven't even seen it.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, i never really thought of it as sci fi. it's probably about as sci fi as futurama.

i read the books before i saw the movie, so of course the movie was disappointing as hell. but i think it was still pretty good if taken as its own entity rather than comparing it to the books.

also, the books did go downhill after the first couple. they were all worth reading, but only the first one or two were really great, as i recall (it's been about 15 years).

i think there was also a weird old miniseries or something at one point. i really don't remember if that was any good or not.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm 3 chapters in and I already like the book of The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy significantly more than I liked the movie.

I don't understand why some of you don't view it as sci-fi. There has already been mentions of Betelgeuse, Alpha Centauri, evolution and a device that is relatively similar to a kindle/ipad.

17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

My dad read me the books as a kid and I have reread them since... I think the film was actually better than I expected just BECAUSE everyone had said it was rubbish.. my expectations were so low that it seemed okay! I would have been let down otherwise. Books definitely superior.

By miniseries.. do you mean the old BBC TV adaption? I enjoyed that but it's very dated now.

18. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't know. All those things can be mentioned in a book that is not sci-fi. It's the comedy aspect, I guess. And the technology exists without the science behind it being described. I can see that it does fit the genre but I get a different image in my mind when someone says "science fiction". It's why I like the wider term "speculative fiction".

Glad you are enjoying it though!

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So the concept of the thread so far is:

Girls shouldnt like sci fi
    Guys shouldnt like movies where old ladies over analyse their daughters relationships

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't know if I've ever looked at someone and thought "I don't think they'd like this movie".