Money

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by musiklover77, Apr 17, 2008.

1. musiklover77

musiklover77 Member

Hey everyone,

How is everyone making money to survive? What jobs do some of you have? I'm growing a little concerned.
    I was working in corporate, but that slowly broke me apart.
    So I started to sell hand made jewelry, artisian crafts, photography etc. But with the current conditions of the economy, I'm a bit nervous that those that have been making a steady salary that have been spending money on my art that they won't be able to or don't want to spend money on anything extra. I'm starting to see the decline now with purchases.

I'm so confused. Should I go back to corporate?

What are you all doing to make the buck?

Thanks,
    Lovin you all,
    Musik

2. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

i do construction, ive been with the same company going on 21 years..

im SCARED SHITLESS im gonna get laid off ,well lets just say im resolving myself to the fact it looks inevitable at this point. this is the worst ive ever seen it and in my opinion its going to get a helluva lot worse.. id say trying to find a spot to grow a garden an start preparing for a long hard winter,,and fall,and possibly summer should be priority 1,an whatever job ya gotta take to accomplish that,, take it..

anyone that thinks this mess is just going to blow over hasnt been reading enough on the situation of the world as a whole..

the food supply is fucked.. there just not telling you the whole story,,much like the so called "credit crisis"..

so id say take whatever work you need to and prepare..

oh BTW, if your going to buy any bulk food,,your SOL.. the united states government just bought the entire stockpile of at least 3 bulk food companies..

its coming folks,, really fast..

thats all the advice i can give ya brother take care and prepare..

3. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

The tie-dye biz is holding up alright so far; folks are paying a bit more attention to buying local, which is good for us

But we're keep preppin for the worst...we've got our water bill paid up for the whole year & we've planted a pretty good garden this year...glad we live in Texas where we have 2 growing seasons....got enough staples to keep goin' for a while if we gotta

4. TheLizardKingMike

TheLizardKingMike Members

Money for Nothing, Chicks for free!!!

5. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

reduce your dependency on money
    problem solved

6. TheLizardKingMike

I've said it once, I'll say it again, Money for Nothing, Chicks for free.

7. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

You can say that you must decrease your dependency on money, but in reality that is nearly impossible. Everything requires money, even if you live in a communal setting. The cost of food is ridiculous. I started buying more local food, but that is STILL expense due to the costs behind operating a farm. Health care costs are sky rocketed. Unfortunately, we need a solid income to survive. I make $14/hour doing TSS work at a school. I can't afford to live on my own, so I have to live with my parents while I graduate from college. I, myself, can not live in a communal setting. I grew up in a large family and I need my own space. I need to get my master's degree to survive in this economy. I need a car to get to work. Public transit doesn't go to my job. It used to cost about $20 to fill my tank; now it costs over $40. I fear for our country and our world.

8. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

you can cut out a lotta things, Soaring Eagle, but ya gotta eat & food is getting way expensive way fast. I won't go to a food bank unless things get so bad that my electric is cut off & even then, I live 15 miles from the nearest food bank....that's a mighty long walk to get from here to there & back again. me'n'JuJu are livin hand to mouth, with the exception that at least we own our land free & clear...$60 a yr keeps the tax woman happy & even if we didn't have it, there are plots of land in our 'hood that are 10+ yrs behind on taxes & the tax woman won't take 'em because of the liablity factor.

Things are getting bad fast Soaring Eagle, & a flippant answer like yours is very annoying to those of us who work our butts off to barely have what we need.

9. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

exactly, it has been devastating to my family and myself. I have to work 40 hours a week to pay my bills. I like to help people out, but I dislike when some people think everything is free. I work my ass off and I expect others to work, weither they have a 9-5 job or make things and sell them. I just paid $1,000 in taxes. It is rather aggrevating that some people get handed things, while I get nothing from my taxes.

10. hippiehillbilly

let me say, im not trying to troll,flame, or attack soaring eagle i am mearly commenting on the discussion..

yes S.E.
    was in another thread screaming at me saying nothings wrong, there is no food crisis, there is no soaring inflation on food even though i showed him ample evidence and if we would all just become vegetarians the problems would be solved and im just a conspiracy nut alarmist..

how can one be so out of touch?

60 bucks a year? wow you have it made, i thought we were lucky with only 500 a year in property taxes..
    what people like SE dont seem to realize is you can drop completely out of society and at the minimum one still has property taxes to pay.

if one wants to live somewhat of a comfortable life even living sustainably with your land paid for on top of property tax the still have the same bills as anyone else.
    car insurance,healthcare,homeowners insurance.
    phone ,power(unless someone has 6 grand to set up solar and then i read the upkeep costs wind up the same as paying for on grid power in the long run),
    all these things add up..
    as i stated in the other thread,
    we grow 99% of our food and we have over a years bills put back, i am not worried for us, im worried for people like bumble and her family who on top of there bills to exist must deal with soaring food and gas prices..

this country is headed off the edge and i just want as many as possible to be prepared as possible..
    i dont want anymore to suffer than what has to be..

but some just refuse to listen.

that is why when the day comes, we are not opening our doors to "any and all".to many of those who refused to listen,who refused to even attempt to prepare would be included.

they ridicule me an say im a alarmist because ive spent the last 6 months preparing getting my ducks in a row and warning people,then i am supposed to save them when it all falls apart?
    rainbow or not,, i dont think so,,...

those unprepared are on there own in my book..

11. stalk

stalk Banned

I'd like to see some evidence of the government buying all that stockpile.
    not that I don't believe you.
    got a link?
    I feel you, man.
    get ready.

12. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I work in a cafeteria at the Grand Canyon. Some days business seems real slow & we all blame it on the gas prices...saying it cost to much for people to go on vacation.

13. hippiehillbilly

this is dilli (too lazy to sign out n back in

in america attacks there is an entire thread by hhb with links to different articles etc,,, There is no proof for certain of this, however I myself have frequently browsed these sites for many months, some years and have never before seen it to this extent. A couple of the food companies flat out are saying on there websites that govt is buying them out as shipments come in,,, I just(as in minutes ) was on another site looking around and on the front page was an announcement on the govt buying all there cheese and butter based stocks. These companies i speak of are old and popular companies and sure on occasion they run out of supplies, however i have never seen it to this extreme and not by the majority all at the same time. The companies that claim in stock often dont actually have them right now and are atleast four weeks back ordered with the hope they will have them then. Companies are limiting there daily orders to certain amounts as well as the amount of shipments they are shipping daily (100 orders is what many are limited to)

If the govt is not the one doing this, then someone or something is creating it. I cant believe that this many people have all the sudden woke up in the last two weeks and are causing this amount of shortage in supply. after all they specialize in survival type foods , why on earth would you sell yourself out purposely when your business should be picking up?It would make no sense whatsoever...

My personal opinion,,, it doesnt matter what is causing this.Its happening. There is definitely something uggerly coming down the pipes. and quite frankly i would rather be labeled the fool , idiot, conspirist,,, whatever label ppl wanna give me and have a few staples set back if needed. It aint gettin no cheaper, it stores and is still going to be edible even if we dont need it now. I look at it no different than any other insurance, whether it be health, life, home ,car etc....If nothing does happen and we dont need what we have put back,,, then i guess its just less we will spend on staple foods later on down the road...

14. TheLizardKingMike

The big wheel keeps on turning...

15. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

I'm with you Dilli, food staples are going to stay edible. I went to the grocery store last week & paid over a hundred bucks for almost nothing. When we have decent sales, I spend the extra on staples, flour, sugar, rice, beans, because nothing is going down in price...plus I remember too well what happened when Katrina & Rita hit; in our area, there was no bottled water to be found for weeks, it was rare to find sugar on store shelves, all the prices of everything went up & never went back down. If hurricanes that didn't even hit central TX could change things as much as they did, then I can't even imagine what would happen if a nationwide catastophe happened, whether it be a stock market crash or massive weather changes, and both are very possible. During the Y2K scares, people called me an alarmist but there were a few people that came to the woods with us just in case & I now know that we couldn't have survived for more than a month or 2 if Y2K had happened...I intend for my family to survive and since Spirit pointed us to this perfect place for us to survive , I would be doing Spirit a disservice if I didn't do what I could to have as many safety nets as possible set up.

HHB, I feel really lucky on the property tax front, our neighborhood hadn't been reassessed for taxes since the 80's & when the county finally got around to it, me & several neighbors protested & won (the tax board freaked out when they saw the pics of the lot next to us...the owners had used it as a garbage dump, then had abandoned it) Right now, we own 2 lots, 200ft x 300ft together, pretty much an acre for all practical purposes & it's on 'homestead' which cut our taxes drastically, plus the 2 lots are now combined for taxes; for 2006 we paid $50 for the homesteaded lot & $70 for the 2nd lot.

16. musiklover77

musiklover77 Member

Hello Everyone,

And thank you for replying to my concern. I really feel actually somewhat better now that I know that brothers and sisters out there really don't think that I am crazy!
    I am so certainly scared of the demise in which is about to happen, we are sinking, sinking fast and I really am not sure I want to know what the bottom looks like before we start to rise again. With that says the best way to be at the bottom is to be prepared for that instance to be able to witness the rise.

We currently are in NJ and the prices here are astronomical. Just the other day, I purchased mustard, rye bread, milk and a flower for my mother. The bill came out to over 50 bucks. I almost returned the flower, but my mother was in urgent need of happiness so I had to. Anyway... We are (THANK GOD) and the wonderous ways of the universe and life, moving to PA come this July 1st. We will be in the middle of the woods in a lovely home paying less than we are now to survive. I am in the works of creating a Green House to have supply of food and herbs hopefully with the sun and rains blessings, year round. Thank God also for living in a house that it's water supply is from a well and not from the city. I am also concerned with the easy access of contaminating our city water. This is another story.
    But on the negative the home is run on Oil which is currently over $115.00 a barrel, so we are talking over 1300.00 just for oil during the winter.

Anyway, I'm just really nervous for I do not have much to trade and money is not as pleantyful as it once was as I was living with comfort.

Currently we spend about 4000 to 5000 a month to keep our family running, this includes the many animals that I have rescued over the years.

I'm thinking maybe it is a good time to take on another craft. Maybe wood carving?

Does anyone know any crafts out there that are highly marketable that I can take on? Hopefully product would be cheap or free and value of completed product would be high or wanted by others?

Thanks everyone for listening,
    ~Truly~ my brightest RAYS of LOVE shine for ALL.
    Musik

17. hippiehillbilly

i really feel food is going to prove to be the number 1 commodity to make a living from very very soon..
    with the price of food in the super markets if one were able to grow above and beyond the amount needed for there family i believe they could make a nice income selling there excess at the farmers market..

that is our plan this summer. im not a real crafty type person and frankly i dont see crafts being a very marketable item in the very near future unless of course they have a utilitarian use.

good fortune family, dont buy into what the mainstream media says about the economy and the food crisis. they are going to hide the truth as long as possible.

i said 3 months ago, September is when they will begin to reveal how bad it truly is.
    that is of course providing that this coming summer doesnt hold any unforeseen surprises..

stalk, here is the link to the thread i started on the subject yesterday.

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299113

i have encouraged fed up american to contact the wholesaler in question to confirm or deny whether it is indeed true as he stated he was interested in doing a show on the subject. however he hasnt commented whether he has or not as of yet..

there is a perfect storm brewing. between the food crisis and the financial crisis,the whirlpool has started sucking us down and all signs lead me to believe the spiral affect is only going to intensify in the coming weeks and months..,

do everything you can to get ready folks.. if im wrong youve lost nothing,if im right and you do nothing now the consequences could very well be catastrophic..

18. Sitka

Sitka viajera

I'm curious. There have been food shortages, economic downturns, and so on many times before. It's cyclical.

What exactly makes this so apocalyptical?

Gas prices are half of what they've been in Western Europe for years and years and everybody acts as if its the end of the world.

19. hippiehillbilly

its a completely different economy here plain and simple.america was trained into being a consumer economy,thats all most americans did for the last 20 years,work and spend ,,then well then they spent more than they earned,then we wound up here..

hows this one for some shit,..

last year in america saw the widest gap in income, with the top 1% earning the largest percentage of the nations income since guess which year???

1928,an what came after 1928?,,.. no,no reason to worry at all here..

20. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Nearly 9 million households now have upside-down mortgages, meaning they owe more than their home is worth. And for the first time ever, aggregate mortgage debt is bigger than the total value of homeowner equity - bigger by $836 billion, according to research by Merrill Lynch.