Modern music and the hippie community

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Devin the neo-hippie, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Insane Clown Posse

2. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

I love music (a wide variety) but I cannot sing a lick
    and can only play the piano
    so I am not musical at all but that doesn't stop me from
    singing anyway

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I was thinking about drum circles the other day.

I don't think they're what they used to be. Anyway, I never really went. I've been to like one. I can imagine that it would be cool though. The reason I was thinking about it is because I think congas are neat, but I don't think they do conga lessons at the guitar center near here; I doubt any of them do! :)

4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The last of the super groups in an industry increasingly dominated by money. We don't have groups like the Beatles anymore because there's too much money to be made exploiting even people without any talent whatsoever. For example, the Sex Pistols were created on a bet between two music producers that one of them could take the five ugliest no-talent guys in London and make them a hit. These days, music has less intonation then ever and the industry has computer algorithms which tell them exactly how much money a song will make. In other words, their music is as shallow and materialistic as their Hollywood movies, which are increasing one dimensional super heroes.

Cello Song, soulpoker and MeAgain like this.
  5. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Blind Melon, Rusted Root, and I enjoyed some Primus stuff. So much music from 60s that never made play like Love Forever Changes, and Captain Beefheart left me many gems to search out and find for my fix of 60s music.

Jude96 likes this.
  6. soulcompromise

I've actually heard of Captain Beefheart. My mom tells the story of how my her brother, my uncle, was really into them.

As for modern music and the hippie collective, this band's sound seems to really jibe with that ethos...

& this...

& this one.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Jude96 likes this.
  7. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Prog in general, which is in many ways post psychedelia. Some of my favorites are Yes, Renaissance, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, PFM, the Moody Blues and Gentle Giant. The Beatles & Jefferson Airplane (and I'll argue the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds/Smile era) started to have prog elements. Phish are pretty prog to me if you frame them a certain way.
    And yes, Brian Wilson is one of the greats. His work has the broad appeal of pop but was crafted with integrity of talent not the desire to make money. He did pop right. AFAIC, its a tossup between who is greater: Brian Wilson or Paul McCartney.

8. Jude96

Jude96 Members

i really enjoy that type of music, the folk style new stuff. it's the only modern music I have managed to enjoy. big fan of 90s alt. rock and old stuff from the 60s & 70s.

soulcompromise likes this.
  9. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

I think grunge had the right (smells like teen) spirit. I wasn't the biggest fan but did enjoy most bands. Good stuff.

Jude96 likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I like bagpipes and hurdy-gurdys.

11. Coven

Coven Members

26 here. Right there with ya! Beachboys is the best, though.. :p

soulpoker likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

13. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Every generation is critical of the next generations music like people bugging out over Elvis Presely in the 50s or Ozzy Osborne in the 80s but todays music just thoroughly sucks. Turned half a generation into complete morons.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Before the rap atrocity there was "grunge rock" even worse wining depressing crybaby music posing as "deep"

I hate this song below more then any other ever written !!!

Temple of the dog hunger strike. I HATE that song so much I even called the radio station back in the day to complain

The radio station kept saying they were a rock and roll station in their self promotions and i said this winey ass crap temple of the dog, creed and all that other junk that sounds like the singer is in the middle off straining to take a crap is not rock music,

Rock music by definition "rocks" !!

~Zen~ likes this.
  14. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I hear you, and think of Michael Macdonald straining to get his words out... not a fan of whining from anyone, be it Country Music or Pop... ditch the attitude, it's for the best. I like a nicer sound...

15. zer0

zer0 Members

I thought the band Jellyfish was one of the best acts to come out of the 90s. Was kinda hoping they'd lead a hippie revival, but unfortunately they vanished after 2 albums and grunge took over.

16. soulcompromise

17. soulcompromise

18. soulcompromise

19. soulcompromise

20. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think there has always been a good amount of new/modern music; one just has to know where to look.

Plenty of people carrying the torch of music for the sake of music; not making any kind of statement, but just making music for the sake of songs; for the sake of sound, which carries a feeling (or all kinds of feelings) with it. And that is as powerful a statement as anything, isn’t it?

Ray LaMontagne
    Tedeschi Trucks Band
    Mandolin Orange (who are now known as Watchhouse)
    Billy Strings
    Tyler Childers

And the list does go on…