mmm... HUMMUS!

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by cerridwen, May 10, 2004.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

* 1 can (2-2.5 cups) cooked chick peas
    * 1 cup cooked red kidney beans
    * 1 large clove garlic
    * 1 cup fresh, chopped basil
    * juice from 2 lemons, 2 limes
    * 1 tblsp cumin seeds
    * 1 tblsp tahini (peanut butter can be substituted)
    Puree all but the basil and cumin seeds in a food processor and puree until it's a smooth texture, add more lemon juice if necessary. Pour into a bowl and mix in basil and cumin. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i don't think i've ever had hummus with red kidney beans in it......is this good?

3. Mari

Mari Member

Hummos:

NO kidney beans
    NO basil
    and most definately NO peanut butter!

Sorry...had to.

Hummos in Arabic means chickpeas. The only green that should be there is parsley and then only on top. You also need about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt depending on your taste. The tahini should be at least 1/4 cup.

4. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

I love Hummus and this doesn't sound like the one I eat but it sure sounds like something I am going to have to try. traditional or not sounds good.

Love & Yummy
    EnonEmouse

5. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

yeah....I like the traditional hummus and probably will continue to eat my traditional hummus....

6. Andrei

Andrei Member

Traditional hummus + corn tortilla = <3

7. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

If you make the traditional hummus recipe in a food processor, two really good add-ins are sun-dried tomatos or roasted red peppers. Not both in the same recipe though. Oh, roasted garlic is good, too!!

8. serra

serra tentacle girl

i have always wanted a button that says HUMMOUS FOR THE HIPPIES i dunno, i just thought it had a nice ring to it and I LOVE HUMOUS and still am not sure how to say it/spell it.

=)

9. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

coriander hummus is one of my favourite foods. Fan-flippuin-tastic (even if it is not at all traditional :) )

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I realise that traditionally hummus isn't made with these things... but tahini isn't exactly the easiest thing to find in every grocery store, so peanut butter works as a good substitute.

And it's to each their own. Kidney beans are a yummy change to chick peas, and work just as well. For those of us (like myself) who loves using herbs in everything, adding a little extra flavour to hummus using them doesn't hurt.

11. terrapinchasin

terrapinchasin Member

I make hummus a million ways, i've even thought about amking a recipe book with just hummus blends in it.

You can make a great hummus from cannelini (white kidney) beans. or i mix a little black bean in with the chick peas.

Good adds include, any kind of herb, but my favorite is dill, green olives, roasted red peppers.

mmmm.

I make what I call "spicy morrocan hummus" by mixing a whole lot of ground cilantro and a can of garbanzos. i add a little tahihi and olive oil, and a few shakes of hot sauce. hot sauce! not tabasco!

I am making some hummus this evening. I once left a festival craving hummus, then had a terrible time finding a new parking space. sicne then i never go to a fest without packing a bowl of my favorite stuff.

12. Mari

Mari Member

From what I read before you live in or very near Toronto. You would not have to go far to find Tahini. Nearly every large grocery chain carries it, not to mention the ethinc food shops of which there are plenty in the GTA.

Peanut butter is not a good substitute at all, as I told you before the taste and the consitancy are completely different.

I realize that I am being a traditionalist here, but Hummus means Chickpea in Arabic. Anything else is not Hummus. 25 years is a hard habit to break. :)

There is a recipe that uses Chickpeas and Fava beans called Foul (pronounced fool) which is pretty much the same recipe, although it is eaten with chopped fresh onion and olive oil served warm for breakfast.

I guess my point is things should be called what they are. I mean you wouldn't call a tomato an apple would you?

13. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I understand you really want to beat this horse to death, so to speak.

I live in Oakville. I have found tahini before, but the closest grocery store that I've found that sells it is an hour away w/o traffic, which really isn't worth going to because it's out of my way, just for one ingredient.

I understand what the word 'hummus' means, but you also have to understand that a recipe can evolve in being made several different ways. Some of my family is Italian, and would cringe at the thought of making ministrone any other way than their own, but variations do exist.

And you're right, things ought to be called what they are. But if a recipe or a sign of the times means calling a tomato an apple or a puddle of poo or otherwise, than so be it. I think it's silly to continue arguing over a single point, esp long after a point has been made.

Thanks for clarifying what the root of the recipe is, and for posting the traditional way of making it, but try opening your mind a little to a bit of variation, or just leave it alone. Something like this really isn't worth arguing about.

14. Mari

Mari Member

1. I am not arguing with you nor am I beating a dead horse. That would be you since you posted this exact recipe in the other forum, we had this discussion there and then you took the opportunity of a new forum to post exactly the same thing again. Why should I leave such a glaring error? Besides you are the one that posted it in the first place.

2. I have been cooking traditional Arabic foods for 25 years, since I met my husband and his family. I was taught by Arabs, not books. That is not to say that I didn't try my own ways of doing things or substitute ingredients. Some work others don't. This doesn't. I'm telling you what the word means. It's not a generic word for bean it actually does mean chickpea. Tell an Arab that a kidney bean is Hummus and he'll tell you you're wrong. Tell him you made it with peanut butter and he would tell you that you are definately wrong. I mentioned this to a few family members and they laughed.

Don't come down on me just because I corrected your mistake.

I'm sure that there are health food stores in Oakville, you could try those for tahini or these:

Golden Grocers
    [size=+0][size=+0]Phone: 905 849 8058
    Fax: 905 849 1123 [/size]

[size=+0]7 579 Kerr Street
    Oakville Ontario [/size][/size]
    [size=+0][/size]

[size=+0][/size]
    [size=+0]Pooja Grocers
    [size=+0]
    [size=+0]Phone: 905-849-4888 [/size]

[size=+0]649 4th Line at Speers Road
    Oakville Ontario [/size][/size][/size]
    [size=+0][size=+0][/size][/size]

[size=+0][size=+0]Oakville Halal Food Market
    432 Kerr Street
    Oakville, ON L6K3C4
    (905) 844 - 1954 (Voice) (this one should have it)[/size][/size]

[size=+0][size=+0]Montfort Mediterranean Restaurant
    Visit Our Location In Brampton Call 905 8666888
    (905) 632 - 1232 (Voice)
    (905) 866 - 6888 (Voice)
    http://www.montfortrestaurant.ca

Montfort Restaurant
    376 Iroquois Shore
    Oakville, ON L6H1M4
    (905) 845 - 7937 (Voice)
    (905) 337 - 7045 (Fax)
    http://www.montfortrestaurants.com

The two above are restaurants but I'm sure that if you asked they would sell you some tahini

Loblaws usually has it in their International Foods section or in with the Organic foods

South Oakville
    173 Lakeshore Road
    Lakeshore Road & Brock
    Oakville
    L6K 1E7

Telephone: (905) 845-4345
    Facsimile: (909) 845-8896

North Oakville
    2431 Trafalgar Road
    Trafalgar & Dundas
    Oakville
    L6J 1Z2

Telephone: (905) 257-4155
    Facsimile: (905) 257-4159

I'm sure none of those are an hour away. Oakville isn't that big.

[/size]

[/size][size=+0][/size]
    [size=+0]
    [/size]

15. MagnanimityMan

MagnanimityMan Member

this has been my first post i came across, during my first time on ol' hipforums since stepping foot in israel (ironic). i've been here a week now. it's absolutely absolutely the most beatiful place i could ever have even thought of. there is some KILLLLLLer hummus here. man. thought i'd add. haven't commented on ol' hipforums in weeks. love