Mixed Bean Casserole

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Recipes' started by squawkers7, Aug 17, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Mixed Bean Casserole

Beans are the ultimate in frugal food. High in protein and vitamins and versatile in use. You can either use two tins of bought beans (less frugal but still cheap) or soak dried ones overnight and then boil until cooked (can be over an hour for some beans) - good ones for this recipe: chick peas, aduki beans, black eye beans, green lentils, kidney beans (usually 11p for a value tin), borlotti and lima but any will do.

Ingredients:

2 leeks or 2 onions, sliced into thin round slices

A little olive oil

Mixed beans of your choice, cooked (how much is up to you - 500g+)

2 tins plum tomatoes - chop them up (about 3 cups/800g in all)

half a cup of water or vegetable stock

a handful of fresh herbs of your choice roughly chopped or 3 teaspoons of dried herbs (suggested herbs - mint, thyme, sage, winter savory)

salt to taste

Fry the leeks in the oil for a few moments then add the beans and stir until coated with the oil. Add the tomatoes, water/stock, salt and herbs and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for about 20 minutes until cooked

2. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

Sounds tasty. I like pink beans, I think that would work. I usually make a crock pot full of beans and then use the leftovers to make casseroles. Yummy

3. witchymode

witchymode Member

Yeah sounds good to me, I'm going to try it some time this week. Just found this new website that has got quite a few adzuki bean recipes, and interesting cultural facts too:
    http://knowingfood.com/

4. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

thanx witchymode, I saw another post you did this morning with the link for adzuki bean recipes, so I have added another 1 here in hipforums

5. witchymode

witchymode Member

I tried the casserole and it's really nice. Am also thinking of trying it with mung bean instead of adzuki.