Misreading.

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Bilby, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

How do people misread things? Someone on HF who does not seem to post in this forum read "Israel is a culturally European country" as Israel is a geographically European country. Maybe he was not taught about metaphors and other figures of speech at school.
    I have also had people read acupressure as being acupuncture.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    mysticblu21 and Candy Gal like this.
  2. BJintheUK

BJintheUK Members

I misread things all the time and have to go back and read them again. But that's because I have sex daily! Ooops, sorry, that should be I have dyslexia! See what I did there? As it happens I do have dyslexia, and it's been a bit of a pain all my life having to read everything twice to make sure my brain hasn't misinterpreted what I've just read, and popped up the wrong word.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  3. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Maybe they can't spell Middle East?

4. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We can, but usually do not usually, read every word. Most peoples' minds, most of the time, processes words expected to be there, rather than the ones that actually are there. We skim, rather than read, and we're wrong some of the time.

If you are a professional writer proofreading your own work, you pay attention. Your editor certainly pays attention. Your casual reader skims.

Consequently, in the interest of time and in haste, we see things that aren't on the page or screen, and we miss much of what actually is there.

In the specific case of "culturally European," it may be more of a matter of valid interpretation than misreading. A huge component of culture is language. Russian, English, and Yiddish, (European languages), are widely spoken in Israel, but they aren't dominant. The substantially dominant first languages of Hebrew (Israel's official language) and Arabic (a semi-official language) are Afro-Asiatic languages, not Indo-European, not European.

If someone saw your reference to "culturally" and objected based on language, that's entirely reasonable. It doesn't mean that they were debating whether Israel is physically located in Europe or Asia. Assigning European culture to a population that speaks Afro-Asiatic languages is a stretch.

Europeans who do not speak either Hebrew or Arabic would have a difficult time with checkpoints and road signs there, especially if they intend to visit the West Bank in addition to Israel. They are best off taking a guided tour. Many aspects of culture, other than language, would be very unfamiliar to Europeans in Israel. I'd discourage jogging in most parts of Israel, not because it's dangerous, but because it simply feels culturally inappropriate, a violation of the norms of residents. I wouldn't say that about anywhere in Europe.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Bilby and mysticblu21 like this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I love the ones about us leaving Europe. Perhaps we are going to pull the anchors up and float out across the north Atlantic.

Knowing our disorganised government, we would probably end up at the north pole. :):):)

BJintheUK and Candy Gal like this.
  6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator