Misquito Plague

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Jorma's Branches, Aug 15, 2005.

1. I picked the best sub-forum I could find to address this issue, and figured you guys could help as you spend a lot of time outdoors.
    Anyway, my problem is that going in my backyard is greatly hindered by the presence of like five million misquitos. They're everywhere.
    I bought a misquito deleto and it's not working yet. I've burned incense all over my yard. I've used tiki torches. I've used those cool candles too. None of it helps. Actually, I take that back. It does help a little, but there's still a noticable problem.
    I'm not nuts about the deleto thing or using bug spray. For one, I'm allergic to most types of sprays, and secondly, while I don't like the misquitos, I'm not into killing them. I just want to get rid of them.
    I think the root of the issue stems from the house behind mine. They have a pool that hasn't been cleaned or drained in oh...a few years. In fact, last I checked, both ducks and frogs live in their pool. There's plantlife too.
    The misquitos started out in the back of my yard (towards the pool) but have started moving out into all parts of my yard.
    I should also add that I spend a lot of time in our backyard, so "ignore them" isn't really possible. I keep three compost piles, two large gardens, and have been known to camp and have bonfires in the backyard. All these activities are made greatly uncomfortable by their ever-vigilant presence. Help.
    I've called the state health department, the enviornmental safety building, and about anyone else who could handle it, but nothing has been done.
    So, I'm pretty much open for suggestions. If anyone has any technique to at the very least protect myself and guests from being bitten, I'm up for it.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

-Jorma

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

What Is this mosquito deleto thing? Is it like one of those mosquito magnets that keep up to an acre clear? They do work, even here in Alaska where we have tons and tons of mosquitoes.

Chances are the standing water in the pool is where the mosquitoes are coming from. You could try some of those nontoxic pellets that kill off the larvae or dump a few gallons of used cooking oil in the pool. It will form a sheen over the surface of the water and inhibit larvae from hatching.

3. Yeah, it's one of thos emagnet things. I think the problem is that it does work, but there are just so many mosquitos it can't get them all. I've thought about getting another but they run pretty expensive and I'm pretty short on cash.

I could, except I don't own the pool. The people behind me do, and I'm not to thrilled about trespassing and dumping stuff in their pool. ... Although, if I can't find another solution, under cover of darkness, it is certainly a possiblity.:)

4. Man I hate bugs

5. I should also mention that's possible to get quite dizzy and confused after spraying yourself with a large amount of organic bug spray.

P.S. I think I'm gonna try the night-pool thing.

6. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Go to the Supermarket.

Go to the cleaning aisle and look for
    those toilet tank cleaning pellets.

Purchase about 3 of the Clorox ones
    ( lots of Chlorene )

Chuck em into the pool, see what happens

7. inzgary

inzgary Members

Ya theres a lot of mosquitos around me. I have a brook near my house and I think thats where their coming from. Well I have a few tips for all of you. Still water is what attracts them. They like places like buckets and wheelbarrals because these sort of things become full of water when left upright outdoors. If you have things like this in your yard just look into the water and chances are you'll see mosquito larva swimming about in the water. If you dump it they will all die so if you dont wanna kill the little buggers I guess it wouldnt harm them if you poured the water into a stream and they will be carryed off to wherever that stream leads to and be someone elses problem :X Warning: pouring the mosquito water into a slow moving stream wont really carry them off. They will just remain where you left them. If you have a slow moving stream by your house or a pond or a lake well theres no way your gonna get rid of them. The best you can do to keep them away is to keep things like buckets upside down so they have no water to nest in and mabey use tiki tourches and such things.

8. guy

guy Senior Member

get some fizzy drink gas cannisters from the supermarket or department store. you'll need to try and find something that will puncture the top of these things and very slowly release the gas . put this little device into a large container that has sticky sides and sticky dangly bits. you might want a cheap 50/60 watt lightbulb that has been painted black (you can do this) around this device but be aware of a fire risk. the co2 and the heat from the lightbulb (when switched on) will attract the mosquitoes to the drum and entice then into it where they will get stuck and die. failing that contact the local council to complain about the risk of malaria OR think of your own unique way to solve the problem.

9. Biggen

Biggen Banned

Yep, I'm all for DIY. Buy something and stick it to that pool, dude!

10. Hmm. I think I've decided I'm going to climb the fence and dump something in their pool to kill the 'skitos. The question still remains: which is more important, a new batch of shrooms or materials to eliminate the risk of maleria? At the moment, I think I'll have to go with the shrooms, and I'll take care of the misquitos later when I get paid on friday.

11. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

a NICE CIGAR helps keep the bugs away.

12. GreenBird

GreenBird Member

Not sure but I've heard a lot that if you take B vitamins it can stop them biting you because you sweat it out and apparently they don't like it. Just thought I'd share.. damn mozzies!

13. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

Welllll...did ya do it? What happened?

14. mike

mike Member

stay in the pool

15. Primer

Primer Member

It should be vitamin C. eat a lot of citris that what I use up here in Northen Ontairo Canada. no problems

or buy a surplus flame-thower.

16. TokeTrip

TokeTrip Senior Member

You could try going to a pet store and getting dragonflies.

17. wideyed

wideyed Member

i like the midnight veg oil solution. cheap and easy, non toxic, etc. . a big strong oscillating fan might help too.

18. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

Well, there has been a few cases of that West Nile virus in the general area and could be considered posing a serious health risk. I would play that end up. You can't ask the neighbor to do something? Ask if there is something you can do to stop the problem? They probably don't even have a clue its causing this kinda grief for you.