Minors and the Death Penalty..

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mystical_shroom, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

haha,
    this one was pretty interesting...

2. puddin

puddin Banned

What were the Nurembourg Trials?

3. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Some of those minors probably plotted and planned their crimes in cold blood.

I don't believe there is a magical line that makes you an adult. There are many, many 18-25 yeard old idiots walking around.
    Time does change you, but if you are a cold blooded killer at 16, you won't be all sunshine and roses at 18.

4. Nisha

Nisha Forlorn.

whoa... minors getting the death penalty?

im against the death penalty all together.. i think people would be worse-off spending every day in bars.. with no connection to the real world though. that'll make them more miserable.. because they really (okay, i think) will want to die after how miserable they'll have been.. but killing them instantly will not give them time to reflect.. and in jail, they'll be reflecting on waht they did and will be forced to think of it everyday. and then one day, they'll naturally die...but AFTER they've been miserable and have reflected.

but that doesnt aply fully to that girl. how come the police didnt give her intense therapy? obviously she would have gone a little wack.. she hasnt been living a normal life.. a normal childhood...

i'd like to see that movie.

good morning for now.

5. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

They were the war crime trials that took place after World War 2, that sentenced many war criminals to death... :)

6. puddin

puddin Banned

Its based on a true story apparently.
    Think about it though, now i dont in any way or form support the death penalty but the time between getting sentensed and getting killed would be some of the scariest time of you life.

7. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I dont think hers was a true story, I just think it was about all of them ya know. About all the minors on death row.. I know hard to explain, but just a sum up about how minors are getting the death penalty and so forth...
    Cause it just had the statistics at the end of the movie, didnt say that that was a real story. Its just about minors and death penalty altogether..
    Sorry, I cant explain stuff well..(but we all know that by now :D)

8. puddin

puddin Banned

Does it have Brad Pitt in it?

9. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

Yes, and Juilette(sp) Lewis

10. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Death penalty in general is such an idiotic concept. It's so hypocritical to show that killing is wrong by killing.

11. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I don't think that is the point of the death penalty. Why would we care if a dead person (after the execution) knew killing was wrong? I think the death penalty is because those people are found to be a waste of skin.....

12. velvet

velvet Banned

The main argument for the deathpenalty is that it teaches others not to do the same crime.

Which is absolutely bullshit because:

1. if you live in a ghetto and have to worry about everyday life and not getting killed by a gang or whatever you're not gonna think about far away consequences of the kill or be killed life you lead.
    2. serial killers etc. are often psychopaths and I seriously doubt if they first check what consquences their behaviour has.. they're gonna do it anyway.. at the most they will make sure not to get caught at any cost.
    3. last goes for 'normal' killers as well.. as soon as you do something (because you're drunk of whatever) that you know is gonna get you the deathpenalty, you will do ANYTHING not too get caught.. causing more dangerous situations.

Plus, in US States where they reintroduced the deathpenalty, crime levels have gone UP.. so there is no empiric evidence that it works.

By the way.. if you're interested in the philosophy of punishment, the deathpenalty and prisons.. check the works of Foucault!

13. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

...and if the responsible person isn't found, a black person can be substituted for the killer......

14. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

that how I feel about it.

15. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I'm against the death penatly no matter who it is. There is a really good essay by Albert Camus about why the death penatly is horrible.

16. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I read this article once about this black kid who was the youngest person on death row... and it ended up that he was actually innocent. That is just a terrible terrible tragedy.

17. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

That is horribly sad, and whats sadder is that happens quite a lot...

18. Spinor

Spinor Member

I do not believe that dealth penalties are consistent with an evolving collective consciuseness (for anyone, at any age, and any crime).

I do, however, believe in murder; and there is a substantial difference.

Murder is a 'personal' act. Execution by a state is an 'impersonal' act. Sometimes, it may be necessary, that, to balance a 'personal' situation, someone may have to murder someone else. I believe this is consistent with nature's natural processes of balance. If an individual involved does not choose to murder, they perhaps the balance need not be achieved this way.

But once you 'impersonalize' it by an act of state, I would say it becomes meaningless and achieves no balance. And to this end, since I believe meaning and 'fully conscious' acts are the only possible gage as to good and evil, the death penalty is perhaps an evil act.