Minimalist Lifestyle Living Without Tv

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by minimalistgeneration, Jul 15, 2013.

1. minimalistgeneration

minimalistgeneration Guest

A choice that can be done by good minimalist is live without tv, the tv can be addictive, many times we come at home and turn on the tv automatically only for background noise to spend hours and hours to zap between channels. One of the first positive sides without tv is that we find ourselves with a free space in home and with less energetic waste. One of the fears is that you get bored without tv, but rather you gain free time to do many other things, rear a good book, go outside for a walk, to do a hobby, etc...

David0301 likes this.
  2. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I totally agree with you. I have not gone cold turkey with TV yet which is my eventual goal but it has gotten to the point where I really don't watch it much anymore. I have no power at my farm so the temptation does not exist when I am there but when I am in the city I watch the news and a few shows every once in a while.

3. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I have never bought a TV set. True story. I've watched other people's TV, and I inherited a TV from my ex when I moved out, and then from my father.

I've never clicked on either TV set. I don't have cable and the only programs that would interest me are either sporting events, or things I can download on the internet.

As for sporting events, I usually go to sports bars to watch them, since I want to root around others who root for the same team, fighter, or player.

4. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

Ohh I've been thinking about trying this for a long time, but I always find reasons not to.. :/

Don't have any channels, just use the xbox for games or movies/tv shows (dowloaded/dvd)

Probably just need a kick in the ass, maybe I'll finally try when we move back to our country (in 1-2 years) because it's clever to sell everything and get "new" things and just not get the tv ;)

5. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

Funny how people are different, I found it a lot easier to not have internet for over a month than not have a tv xD
    Need to try both at the same time !!

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Haven't Watched TV For Over 5 Years, I Very Much

Doubt I Have Missed Anything Important...:)

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dancing_Sun

Dancing_Sun Member

I got rid of our tv before my son was born. I think it was the best decision I made. Tv is a big distraction. We do have a computer but we use it to look up education things(usually questions I don't have an answer for) Once in a while he will get to watch a show as a treat but the computer is rarely turned on. I don't miss it and I find we spend more time outside and being creative in art. I think it is about balance. Oh and the worst thing about tv is commercials brainwashing commercials

goodearth likes this.
  8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't have TV. I don't miss it, either. Does the thinking for you, which is never a good thing.

goodearth likes this.
  9. Norcal

Norcal Member

Lived without TV or internet for 2 years but recently moved and have access to both again. I prefer having the internet around, but I still don't really watch tv and get bored easily sitting watching a screen with flashing colors.

I feel much more clear headed now and I feel like I can devote more time and energy to much more useful projects that are more fulfilling to personal growth.

goodearth likes this.
  10. scottish1324

scottish1324 Guest

I think not watching TV and not seeing all the hypnotising/brainwashing ads is very freeing and healthy thing to do, i feel a lot better for doing it. I still have a TV plugged into a computer for watching movies and TV shows, as its still a nice way to relax sometimes.

goodearth likes this.
  11. VitruvianMind

VitruvianMind Guest

Televisions are becoming obsolete for the purposes they have been used for for the better part of their existence. Modern TV's are made to be mini-cinemas and the monitor outputs for modern gaming consoles.
    Everything that can be seen on television shows, can be seen on the internet without too much of a time difference. And live events can be seen at friend's houses (who have television) or bars and stuff (which also have televisions).
    Also everything in the media is brain-washing, not only the commercials. Media news outlets are funded (and sometime run) by financial moguls and heads of state also have their claims in them. Commercials are pretty harmless when you realize that all of them are fake and all of the actresses and actors on them are hopelessly inept at portraying basic human emotions, even when they're not taking themselves seriously.
    All in all, I wouldn't really call the lack of a television set a 'minimalist lifestyle', as one has access to the internet, video games on the computers, facebook, not to mention a whole set of activities to indulge in outside and inside.

goodearth likes this.
  12. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I could go without tv easily, but not internet. It doesn't help that access to internet is integrated with every day life, paying bills, access to printing things and knowledge, finding directions, connecting with friends.

13. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Same here.I am addicted to the internet although I make a point of listening to particular radio programs.

14. locomotive

locomotive Guest

TV is the worst... waste of time and a nice way to be brainwashed/hypnotised

goodearth likes this.
  15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

my mom raised me with tv til i went into the foster system at 16. i despise tv now and refuse to own a tv. you gotta think, it's what someone is choosing for you to watch. anything i need or want to watch i can download or watch on youtube. luckily as a kid i only watched Animal Planet, Discovery and History channel.

goodearth likes this.
  16. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I'm guilty of this. Computer has now taken the place of t.v. for me, but reading a book or magazine is much better imo.

goodearth likes this.
  17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't consider the lack of a tv "minimalism". but i do consider it logical and desirable. at least for me.
    simply because thing which interest me, are presented negatively on there, when they're even on there at all, which is seldom.

by presenting everything i a way, that presupposes a set of conventional assumptions, the very ones most profitable to television's corporate masters,
    the belief, becomes near universal, among those who subject themselves to it, that a completely imaginary and mythological culture,
    is the one we are actually living in.

so television has created this self fulfilling lie, that people don't even realize they are telling themselves.

if it were completely harmless, it would still pose the risk, inhierent to all ignorance.
    but it isn't harmless.

people believe the lie, that life is more dependent on economics then natural environment, and that the automobile, is the only possible alternative to sore feet.
    not to mention all more trivial cosmetic silliness it addicts them to.

corporate media understand, that people have turned to the internet, finding the greater near honesty of each other there.
    television once had the potential to become something more wonderful then what it did.
    what concerns, horrifies me actually, is corporate media's determination to rob of us that, by turning the internet into what they did with television.

goodearth likes this.
  18. S&L

S&L Member

TV is North Amerika's greatest waste of time!
    At home my satellite bill is over $ 60/ month and practically nothing worth watching but a few shows over the whole year.
    L & I are contemplating getting rid of it all together, downloading some shows in the library for free.
    Save approx. $ 800/ year. Throw in internet and telephone (land line) plus one cell, another $ 1800+/year.

My boss put me up in a rental unit when out of town, pays for cable there, approx. 500 channel and just garbage!

goodearth likes this.
  19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We haven't had television in this house since maybe 2007. We don't miss it.

goodearth likes this.
  20. eightysevener

eightysevener Members

The TV is almost always on at home, and I hate it. It's the focal point of the lounge. Very few programmes I actually like, and almost all of the rest of it is depressing or completely irrelevant/uninteresting. Endless patronising adverts, exclusively negative news...it's mentally corrosive.

I mean, I can't remember the last time I saw an ad on TV for something that'd I'd ever consider purchasing.

I wish we had a small fireplace instead. And a big f***ing fishtank. :)