Milk substitutes

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by moondaddy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. moondaddy

moondaddy Member

Hey I recently discovered the best milk substitute which is Silk soy milk plus about half westsoy rice milk plus a dab of pineapple coconut juice. It's fantastic!

2. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Pineapple? I'm sold.Bet it tastes great with rice crispies.

3. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

We use Rice Dream rice milk at the moment. We used to use Alpro soya but were cutting down on the soya. Ive never seen any other brands in the shops here apart from Sogood soy, and a few nut milks *sigh*

4. goodvibes83

goodvibes83 Senior Member

this may be a dumb question but is rice dream soy or rice milk? sorry if this is a dumb question. But i use Silk Soy milk (the best tasting in my opinion) and have recently been curious as to how rice dream tastes...have you had the Silk brand and can anyone compare the two?

5. Ocean Bionic

Ocean Bionic Hero of the People

almond milk and hemp milk are great also.

6. moondaddy

moondaddy Member

Rice dream is rice. It's OK but a little sweet for my tastes, a bit strange and also a lot more expensive than Westsoy where I shop. To me Silk tastes kind of strongly soy so adding the rice milk mellows it out and the dribble of pineapple coconut juice is perfect for a bit of sweetening of the two. And yes, awesome on rice crispies.

7. mozart_hippie

mozart_hippie Member

Never tried hemp/almond. Sounds interesting.

8. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

Hi Im a big drinker of soya milk too, just wondered what were your reasons were for cutting down? If you dont mind telling,just thought you might know something I dont :)

9. mozart_hippie

mozart_hippie Member

10. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Heya,

Personally I believe soya in moderation is fine, but weve been trying for our first child for over a year so to be honest the fertility aspect of too much soya made us cut down, just incase. I really doubt it has that much effect. If you think about all the animal hormones that are injested by the average meat eater, is a bit of plant hormone a major issue? But yes, were basically cutting down as a "something else to try" thing, so I wouldnt worry. Aslong as you dont eat ridiculous amounts its fine

Btw you look beautiful in your sig!

11. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

And yeah rice dream is rice, very very sweet so its an acquired taste, but weve grown to really love it and now anything other than sweet milk seems:ack2: to us

12. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Really wish we had hemp milk here. I cant get enough of the shelled hemp seeds, which is the only hemp product I can find around

13. goodvibes83

goodvibes83 Senior Member

i looked at this...and ive been drinking soy milk consistently for about two years now, maybe a year and a half. I reently had some major jaw surgery done in which my surgeon opened my mouth quite far. When he came out of surgery he told my parents my thryoid looked enlarged.

we had it looked at, about a month after sugery they found nothing abnormal about it...but id cut down a lot on my soy. this is interesting...does anyone know more abuot this relationship?

14. moondaddy

moondaddy Member

If I do a lot of soy I get headaches. That's all I can tell you.

15. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

I read that its unfermented soya that can do thyroid damage when eaten too much...so not tofu or soya sauce, but things like burgers with soya in, stuff like that. Like I said though I think its only if you eat it nearly constantly, and the link hasnt even been that well researched. Could be drama about nothing. Most things will be bad if you eat far too much. On the other hand youre better being cautious, so moderation is the key

16. chemigals

Ah thanks @fingermouse,
    Ive been a big drinker of soya milk for the past 2 years now.Ive heard conflicting advice on how much should be drank and also that too much soya is bad for men, but sorry cant seem to remember where I read that as I guess it did not really affect me .
    I think your going the best way, by eliminating it from your diet and seeing if it makes a difference.
    This process is very handy and pretty easy to follow.
    The other milk I have tried is oat milk and I have to say its my fave by far but its so dam expensive Im afraid we have it as a treat in our house, and I know this is not a cookery thread but the best milkshake is.... oat milk,banana and peanut butter with small amout of brown suger is LUSH.

17. chemigals

and thanks for the nice comment about my sig...blush!

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I tend to use almond. Homemade or unsweetened.
    soy can be beany, rice is good if you were a fan of skim (I was, but the sweet gets me, I predominately use subs in cooking)
    soy milk can give foods a chalky feel, too.

19. addictedt0chaos

addictedt0chaos Lunar Dreadlocks

I use vanilla Sensational Soy. I only really use it for cereal. I loved almond milk and rice was good too, but they are a little more costly, so i stick to sensational. I found it to have the least amount of sweetness, but just enough to help bring some umph to those more boring cereals.

20. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I switch between soy & rice milk - both unflavored/unsweetened. It depends on which is on sale, which I might have a coupon for at the moment, and which shop I'm in since some stores carry one but not the other. ;) Rice milk reminds me of thin horchata... go figure, but it's FAR better in cooking/baking recipes than soy!

Every once in awhile I'll make some almond milk... but almonds are REALLY pricey here & I don't have a vitamix so it ends up being chunky. I Sure wish I could find hemp milk though, I hear so many wonderful things about it but it's not at ANY of the HFS's around here!
    love,
    mom