Mexican American vs. American Mexican

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Apr 20, 2020.

1. What I think Covid has made obvious is that a massive fuckload of the working population in the US can do their job from home. If not for the successful transition to teleworking by so many prepared companies, the economy would have perished long ago.

This is one of the factors we didn't have during the last depression. But I wonder how long the web can function if we have a cascading infrastructure failure. If the communications pipeline fails, millions of jobs stop, instantly.

A double edged sword.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

While partially true I just tend to get wasted in the safe environment of my own home.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I find myself doing that an awful lot since the bars have all been closed. Maybe one day we can all go out and party again. We can only hope....

WritersPanic likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'll miss live music and concerts and stuff. Not so much just drinking at the bar. I never really did that unless I had something to do, play pool or see a band or meeting some folks I met on a swingers site or something. :p

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

However, I do really miss going of for meals and sitting down. My wife and I at least once a week or so tried a new place which is hard in a small town like our but we'd alternate and get something new, not the same meal as before at the same place. And I do miss that. Just being out with her. Giving opinions on things we see etc.

6. I miss actual bars, they don't exist in Georgia. What we can have are restaurants, WITH a bar, but no bar-only businesses. AND they have to serve a ratio of food to alcohol. It's leftover Sunday Law bullshit. So I don't have a local pub, they don't exist here.

7. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nothing to stop you campaigning for one - or using that as the basis of your own campaign platform for election.

8. Oh hell no. American politics? I'd rather have a jalapeno enema.

I mean, just look at this stuff
    Donald J. Trump on Twitter

But no, bars won't be coming back to Georgia, and it predates Covid by decades.
    What's weird to me is that we still seem to have the old codgers in state politics. Where the hell do they keep coming from? They're my age now and STILL a bunch of old fuckers run the show.

9. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Is that an admission that you're now one of them ??? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

10. Not at all. They're all focused on domination and wealth/power. I don't give a flying crap about that kind of shit, especially as I get older. I can't get over how much time I wasted chasing money. Adding the pursuit of power et al to that would have been maddening.

What I don't get is why my generation is not trying their best to make things better after watching so much betrayal by politicians for our entire lives. Most of them jumped on the money train, which runs in useless circles.

11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Oregon is the same way. Bars must serve food as an option. Although, doesn’t have to be quality food at all; it could be a microwave sandwich, burrito, pizza, or popcorn. And they will comply with the law

WritersPanic likes this.
  12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i never go out on holidays. that's when all the idiots are out trying to get themselves arrested or some shit. i either sit at home and don't even drink on those days, or go hang out with a small gathering of friends at someone's house.

now any other day, i can probably be talked into going to the bar. although i'm like you, i get bored just sitting at the bar most of the time; typically we're playing pool or those bar bowling games or bar darts or something.

that's really not a terrible idea. if someone's getting shitfaced, a microwave burrito can help sober them up a tad, plus while they're eating they can't drink more. the georgia laws sound a bit crazier, at least the way WP is describing them. i'm picturing the bar at applebee's as being the only place you can go to drink there.